Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Faramir: The other Brother

Rembrethil
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 2:18am

Views: 468
Shortcut
Faramir: The other Brother Can't Post

Well, having talked at length on Boromir, I think it only fair to discuss the other half, Faramir.

First impressions as a Movie-Firster:

He was quite a minor character, an obvious callback and means to ramp up tension. What were the odds that Frodo and Sam were going to meet Boromir's brother? As his part went on, I began to glimpse the nobler side of him, the one I have come to miss in the movies, by reading the books, but I am getting ahead of myself. He came across as quite similar to his brother. A leader, strong, somewhat brutal, but of more morally integrity. He had his chance to take the Ring, but conspiring events taught him that he could not hope to use it, with a little help from Sam. (You have to love Sam!) After passing on, he plays little part in the story for his own right. He serves to provide tension with his father, and be the catalyst for his madness. He seemed somewhat loyal, but more guilty...guilty for his brother's death. He seemed to go to the opposite extreme of Denethor--to take desperate action, rather than crippled by despair. In the end, he provided the distraction to get Eowyn away from Aragorn. (He prevented a wedding crashing!)

Reading the books, I became an avid supporter of Faramir. He became my Middle-Earth ideal. He was quite analogous to Aragorn, one who could have been a good king, or at least a great Steward. His character and compassion really hit home. He did not need to use force, he hated it. He was wise and noble, and had the ideal of Knighthood indeed that Boromir typified in appearance. He would never have taken the Ring, or Sam and Frodo to Osgilliath. He had great sorrow for his brother's death, but had the wisdom to see his downfall. Fiercely dutiful, he took a desperate mission to stall the forces in Osgilliath, before they reached Pellenor. He was more sensitive, I think. His father's words did more harm to him than the Nazgul. He had always accepted the second place in his father's love, but the shunning wounded him deeply. His duty was deeper, and he committed to it. Finding Eowyn, he had compassion on her. His wise words healed her, and that was what he was, not a warrior and killer, a sage and healer. I was totally crushed by the way he seemed shafted in the Films, but I could always imagine Book Faramir there instead.

What are your thought on this wonderful character?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Dec 13 2013, 2:20am)

Subject User Time
Faramir: The other Brother Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 13 2013, 2:18am
    Agree with everything you have to say demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 13 2013, 7:41am
        Well there's pacifists and then there's pacifists Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 13 2013, 5:03pm
    In violent agreement CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 13 2013, 1:39pm
        That's an excellent point about male/female status squire Send a private message to squire Dec 13 2013, 6:34pm
    A twin of Aragorn! I agree with CuriousG completely. Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Dec 13 2013, 11:44pm
        *bows in awe of the superior eloquence of everyone else* Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Dec 13 2013, 11:49pm
            I sure thank you all Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Dec 16 2013, 12:49am
        Wow--bravo!! // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 14 2013, 5:08pm
        A pleasure to read Plurmo! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 14 2013, 6:13pm
        A lovely post, Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Dec 14 2013, 11:30pm
        I'm saving this on my desktop. Thank you. // Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Dec 15 2013, 7:22pm
    This is the best description Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Dec 15 2013, 7:16pm
    Faramir! Nimloth9 Send a private message to Nimloth9 Dec 17 2013, 10:48am
    most of what I would say has been said, but Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 17 2013, 4:11pm
    Faramir Ireth Send a private message to Ireth Jan 3, 1:11pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.