Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - United Cutlery The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Product Announcements

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Dec 8 2013, 8:18pm

Post #1 of 16 (237 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - United Cutlery The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Product Announcements Can't Post

AzogUnited Cutlery has announced several new products that are some of the coolest looking prop-replicas you will find for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. These prop replicas range from the Bow of Tauriel to the Mace of Azog all of which allow you, the fan, to rip Middle-earth off the big screen and bring it into your collection. All of these items are currently up for pre-order so make sure to hint to your loved ones to get a last minute holiday gift added to your list.

Full list of items

Tauriel Elven Bow and Arrow $249

Mirkwood Double-Bladed Polearm $199.99

Staff of Thranduil $149.99

Fighting Knives of Tauriel $219.99

Sword of Thranduil $199.99

Fighting Knives of Legolas $189.99

Mace of Azog the Defiler $269.99

Orcrist Scabbard $125.99

Gauntlet of Sauron (The Lord of the Rings License) $349.99

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 16 (163 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

My Orcrist could use the scabbard, if there is any money left after seeing DOS many times. Many, many times. But if it's a choice between seeing DOS and my Orcrist being displayed naked, then without question, I must choose seeing the rightful master of the sword on the big screen, as befits the majestic King Under the Mountain. My Orcrist will have to wait......still, it is good to know the scabbard may be available.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
To wait or not [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I don't blame ya for waiting. I'd choose the movie over it as well. I'm really tempted to get the Mace of Azog myself.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 3:20pm

Post #4 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
No regrets [In reply to] Can't Post

About finally purchasing my Orcrist - all of these UC releases look incredible. But looked at the replica for months before taking the plunge. Hope the holidays will be good to you and you can sock away funds for the (very impressive) mace - which I can't look at without seeing Azog circle it over his head and send the wargs down the hill - it's a massive weapon. My wish list also includes the sword Deathless but wish UC was doing a version of it.

But for me the scabbard will be next in line, for sure. Eventually$$$

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 3:31pm

Post #5 of 16 (147 views)
Shortcut
The Mace [In reply to] Can't Post

UC makes some really great stuff. That's why I don't feel like I'm exaggerating things when I write up these articles. Thanks! :) Fingers crossed they will be and maybe I can put away some cash to get it. The one thing I will be curious is how heavy the item is when it does arrive.

Good Luck on the journey to getting your scabbard. Please post pics when you get it. Cool

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 6:33pm

Post #6 of 16 (141 views)
Shortcut
oh - dear (: [In reply to] Can't Post

I will post pics when I get the scabbard - hey, I have an early-in-the-year birthday......Angelic

But oh, no, I looked too long at Thranduil's sword - all steel - nice, very nice *drools*. If you get the mace plz post about it as I am really curious about the balance, that's one of the things that struck me when Azog was using it - Manu Bennett must be tremendously strong, as it looks so heavily weighted - even a prop must weigh a lot.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 12:52pm

Post #7 of 16 (123 views)
Shortcut
These will never rust, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the Bilbo version of Sting and the scabbard and Orcrist. Orcrist is a Christmas gift, while I got Sting back in September. I've left it in the box after admiring it many times, but I was wondering if it will rust if I don't do all that stuff you have to do with swords like sharpening them and all that stuff? Because I have none of that equipment to do so, and I'm asking because I ordered an Excalibur sword off Amazon for $55, and it's starting to get little rust spots on it even though it says "stainless steel", which I heard doesn't rust. Granted, the sword was cheap so maybe it's not made of the same high-end materials ala UC's stuff.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 3:45pm

Post #8 of 16 (102 views)
Shortcut
B-Day [In reply to] Can't Post

There ya go. A good gift to ask for then. Cool

It does look really cool and I love the all steal design. Yeah, If I get the mace I will let ya know for sure. I'm curious as well because it looks heavy as heck.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 3:46pm

Post #9 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
clean [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if just handled with your skin oils they can rust over time. There is stuff out there you buff the sword with that will allow you to keep them from rusting. I can't recall the name of the stuff though.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 5:03pm

Post #10 of 16 (118 views)
Shortcut
UC Orcrist's AUS-6 steel [In reply to] Can't Post

Found this info online about the steel Orcrist uses - if this is "cutlery" class steel can't imagine it would be prone to rusting? I will keep an eye on mine, if I see any issues I will use a jeweler's cloth and then worry about a protective coating - but since I am mounting mine w. airflow, I am not worried about rust - maybe I should be, the sword will be near a 55 gallon aquarium (a bit of humidity) but not concerned right now. Gotta think that UC would not want its reputation for good replicas ruined, too! You could e-mail UC and ask for some tips.

Well, stainless steel isn't supposed to rust, but I figure any cheap alloy will - like my cheap pans that rust ):
AUSx series
The AUS stainless steel series is produced by Aichi Steel Corporation, Japan. They differ from the AISI 4xx series because they have vanadium added to them. Vanadium improves the wear resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening.(AUS-6 (6A) is comparable to 440A with a carbon content close to 0.65%. It is a low cost steel, slightly higher wear resistance compared to 420J.(440A is relatively a low cost, highly corrosion resistant stainless steel.)

AUS-6 is a entry level Japanese cutlery steel in the same class as 440A......AUS-6 is typically hardened to RC 55-58 or so, and take a very fine edge, though edge retention is not as good as steel such as 440C." "440A is one of the workhorses of the Sports and Tactical Knife industry. The majority of entry level knives use either 440A, 420HC or AUS-6 steel. 440 is a medium carbon, martensitic stainless steel that is very corrosion resistant and extremely tough that can be hardened to about RC58.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 9:54pm

Post #11 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
What could be a better present? [In reply to] Can't Post

Call it protection. What better way to frighten off creeps, than to channel your inner Azog? Shouting a few lines of Khudzul wouldn't hurt either. DU BEKAR!!! KHADZAD AI MEINU!!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 1:55am

Post #12 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
Stainless steel will rust [In reply to] Can't Post

especially if you touch it and don't clean it. Leave a fingerprint on a blade, and the oil in your skin will etch that fingerprint into the blade. Can you guess how I learned that? Mad Most blades will come with instructions for proper care and cleaning. Heed them.

My advice on caring for weapons:

1. Don't leave them in the scabbard. Scabbards trap moisture against the blade and moisture causes rust.

2. Keep them in a place where they can "breathe" clean dry air.

3. If you touch it, wipe it down with a clean cloth before you go to bed, if not sooner.

4. Polish it from time to time. How often? Depends on humidity. When I was in Arkansas where it was usually 97% all summer, once a month was the minimum. Now that I'm cool and dry in New England, once a season is plenty.

There are lots of different products for cleaning and polishing; many of them are expensive. In my experience, any kind of metal polish like Brass-o works just as well, and gun oil is good too. As long as you put a protective layer on the metal from time to time, it doesn't really matter what that layer is made of.

This is part of my collection:

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 4:15pm

Post #13 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the care instructions - great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really appreciate you taking the time to post about stainless steel - it's not something a lot of folks think about (like me) as we all have stainless steel kitchen stuff we abuse, right?

And when I first got Orcrist I'm sitting around "feeling it up" and of course anyone who sees it has to feel it too. Not to mention being near an aquarium and in a room that is humid in summer......hmm - I wonder if this "green" cleaner I have called Earth Brite would work? It's supposedly a French clay (mild) - leaves a "protective coating" - will test this but probably get some gun oil too.

So my sword will be getting a good polish this weekend. BTW that is a great picture you posted, beautiful collection and obviously well-cared for. If you have time could you post how you mount - UC does include mounts but when I get the scabbard I would want to mount the sword and scabbard side-by-side. Amazon sells mounts but they didn't seem any different then what I would get at a hardware store anyway.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 16 (105 views)
Shortcut
Mounting [In reply to] Can't Post

I just use whatever works. Usually one or two smallish nails, depending on the shape of the hilt and how I want the sword to hang. Hardware stores are wonderful places; just wander among the shelves until you find something you like. If it looks good and holds the weapon securely, that's all that matters.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 14 2013, 4:44pm

Post #15 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
True - hardware stores are a kind of treasure trove! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the response - that's what bugged me about the Amazon sword mounts, they didn't seem to be anything I could not so myself. Love hardware stores - so much for the ME craftsperson - rolls of genuine copper wire, S-hooks and chain, tools of course, and I've even walked off with high quality wood scraps (oak, maple, pine) for free from the lumber area.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2013, 3:33am

Post #16 of 16 (80 views)
Shortcut
A Cautionary Tale [In reply to] Can't Post

This afternoon our church put on our annual living nativity, and I was asked to play a Roman soldier again. I put on a shortsword and didn't let the falling snow discourage me. The show must go on!

After it was over, there was a reception at the church and some things that needed done, then I finally packed up my toys, went home, dried off all my wet stuff, and finally started cleaning things. In no more than 5 hours, rust spots had formed on the stainless steel pommel of my shortsword.

It was only surface corrosion and it came off in less than 5 minutes with just a rag and metal polish, so no damage was done. But if I hadn't caught it, the surface corrosion could have gone deeper and ruined the finish. So, keep them dry, and if they get wet, dry them and polish them ASAP.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.