Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Radaghast-Over the top?
Poll: Radaghast-Over the top?
Loved it
Hated it
Meh
Have no opinion
who?
View Results (74 votes)

mj

Nov 27 2013, 4:53pm

Post #1 of 17 (435 views)
Shortcut
Radaghast-Over the top? Can't Post

What did you think of the 'stick insect' on Radaghasts` tongue?

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a search and didn`t turn up a poll of this. Blush

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 5:02pm

Post #2 of 17 (293 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you mean just the stick insect. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't care one way or the other about the insect. At first I thought you mean Radagast in general, and I was going to vote for the, "I absolutely loved him!" option, if it were available. Cool He just defines 'crazy awesome' for me. The stick insect, for its part, is just a minor gag that takes up about 5 seconds, so it doesn't bother me.

mj

Nov 27 2013, 6:02pm

Post #3 of 17 (288 views)
Shortcut
stick insect [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason the stick insect bugs me, though I like Radaghast in general...

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 17 (275 views)
Shortcut
I always wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

how it didn't drown in saliva.Shocked

Kim
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 9:01pm

Post #5 of 17 (270 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just so random, and I love puns, so I got a good laugh at that! Sly

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 28 2013, 9:14am

Post #6 of 17 (254 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't care about the stick insect. It was the rabbit sled that I found over the top and ridiculous. Other than that, I liked Radagast.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Nov 28 2013, 2:07pm

Post #7 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
'Bugs' you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good pun! But I like that moment, since it seems to emphasize how much a part of nature Radaghast really is. Although he might at first glance seem to be a rather disheveled old man, he's clearly not human at all.

mj

Nov 28 2013, 3:17pm

Post #8 of 17 (220 views)
Shortcut
I did too, at first [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't care about the stick insect. It was the rabbit sled that I found over the top and ridiculous. Other than that, I liked Radagast.

But the more I watched it, the more I liked it!!

mj

Nov 28 2013, 3:18pm

Post #9 of 17 (242 views)
Shortcut
I`m very punny... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Good pun! But I like that moment, since it seems to emphasize how much a part of nature Radaghast really is. Although he might at first glance seem to be a rather disheveled old man, he's clearly not human at all.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 2 2013, 6:31pm

Post #10 of 17 (203 views)
Shortcut
Charles Darwin - Over the top? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed it was an homage to the great naturalist:

But no pursuit at Cambridge was followed with nearly so much eagerness or gave me so much pleasure as collecting beetles. It was the mere passion for collecting, for I did not dissect them and rarely compared their external characters with published descriptions, but got them named anyhow. I will give a proof of my zeal: one day, on tearing off some old bark, I saw two rare beetles and seized one in each hand; then I saw a third and new kind, which I could not bear to lose, so that I popped the one which I held in my right hand into my mouth. Alas it ejected some intensely acrid fluid, which burnt my tongue so that I was forced to spit the beetle out, which was lost, as well as the third one.
-The Autobiography of Charles Darwin

Sam20
Lorien

Dec 2 2013, 8:53pm

Post #11 of 17 (170 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I hated it, ''hate'' is quite a hard word in that context but I didn't like it. Actually, I didn't like how Radagast was pictured in the movie. Reading Lord of The Rings, Radagast didn't strike me as half-crazed or a nutter with bugs on his mouth and bird poo on his head. They made it a comical character for the audience. The smoke out of his hears and the screwing eyes moment is simply ridiculous.

That's not the way I pictured Radagast The Brown from Fellowship Of The Ring, the character was much more subtle than that.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Dec 2 2013, 8:53pm)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 3 2013, 12:02pm

Post #12 of 17 (149 views)
Shortcut
I was fine with him except for the bird poo. [In reply to] Can't Post

the stick insect didn't bother me that much. But I hope they don't continue with and expand on his being a bit dotty. That's as unfair as the old Nigel Bruce Watson to Sherlock Holmes brilliance. Watson was not written to be dotty. Radaghast isn't either, IMHO.

HeadingSouth
The Shire

Dec 5 2013, 12:44am

Post #13 of 17 (127 views)
Shortcut
Didn't like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like it and thought that Radagast as a whole was off from what we know of him from Tolkien's work. Definitely isn't believable that he could be one of the istari.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 4:05pm

Post #14 of 17 (113 views)
Shortcut
The stick insect was pretty dumb. [In reply to] Can't Post

As was the bird crap, smoke coming out of the ears, and bunny sled chase (not the bunny sled itself, it was actually kind of clever and well done, but just barely). All of which are PJ inventions (go figure). I actually liked McCoy as Radagast, which was a real surprise as i am not a fan, and pretty much hated his Doctor.

Overall, i like the character so far, and am looking forward to seeing where they take him in the next two films. Could be really interesting to see the character go a little darker.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 5:11pm

Post #15 of 17 (105 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much dislike everything about Radagast but the bunny sled didn't bother me until someone here pointed out how unrealistic it was. I'm just not that literal of a person and will buy pretty much anything if it looks good to me.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2013, 7:24pm

Post #16 of 17 (110 views)
Shortcut
I thought St. Francis [In reply to] Can't Post

The Franciscans wear brown cowled robes and St. Francis is the Patron Saint of animals. (He was also made Patron Saint of the environment but that was after Tolkien's death.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 12 2013, 10:44pm

Post #17 of 17 (127 views)
Shortcut
Great comparison! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.