Reviews,Reactions Thread Part 19
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:07pm

Post #1 of 34 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Reviews,Reactions Thread Part 19 Can't Post

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 12 2013, 11:37pm)

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:11pm

Post #2 of 34 (808 views)
Shortcut
Peter Travers [In reply to] Can't Post

2 1/2 out of 4.

He praises Smaug, but says the rest is boring. It's registered as a negative on RT.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-20131212

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

haldad
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 10:14pm

Post #3 of 34 (759 views)
Shortcut
A few weeks back.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I predicted that DoS would finish 5-10% higher than AUJ on RT. I'm kind of thinking that will be about the same now, though.

With almost all movies, the score starts high, and then gradually decreases. 85-90% of the remaining half of critics would have to like it to push it above 80%, which isn't going to happen.

I predict 63-67%, which is fine.

Gene.89

Dec 12 2013, 10:14pm

Post #4 of 34 (790 views)
Shortcut
PETER TRAVERS review [In reply to] Can't Post

PETER TRAVERS 2,5/4 review (mixed but leans more positive) are rotten on RT.

haldad
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 10:19pm

Post #5 of 34 (731 views)
Shortcut
I understand that it's up to the critic to say whether a mixed review is positive or negative but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In this case, I'm not really sure what Peter Travers is thinking. The way I see it, a rotten review means that you would not recommend it. After reading that review, it does not seem in any way that he thinks it should be skipped.

I just don't understand...

Tagline for this review on RT: "Director Peter Jackson performs the same kind of miracles with the digital Smaug that he did with Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy."

The only negative thing in the entire review is a backhanded compliment saying that it's a little less long and boring than AUJ.

(This post was edited by haldad on Dec 12 2013, 10:24pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 34 (720 views)
Shortcut
Scores [In reply to] Can't Post

Rotten Tomatoes Overall

Average Rating: 6.9/10
Reviews counted: 96
Fresh: 69 | Rotten 27

Rotten Tomatoes Top Critics

Average Rating: 6.4/10
Critic Reviews: 31
Fresh: 20 | Rotten: 11

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:24pm

Post #7 of 34 (691 views)
Shortcut
someone stated that RT decides [In reply to] Can't Post

if it is registered as fresh or rotten. i have seen them put 3 out of 5 or 2.5 out of 4 reviews either way for this movie, i don't really get the reasoning, but whatever.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:25pm

Post #8 of 34 (684 views)
Shortcut
That review is a little light on ...er, substance [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting to the end of the paragraph and seeing he had no more to say was quite shocking.

Hello!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:26pm

Post #9 of 34 (692 views)
Shortcut
so far only one critic i respect who hasn't liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

Berardinelli. but even he was a 2.5 out of 4 rating.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 34 (707 views)
Shortcut
Already changed. [In reply to] Can't Post

One more positive, average score back with a 7 at the front... much more important to me than the ratio.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 10:46pm

Post #11 of 34 (679 views)
Shortcut
Moment of truth [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit I'm a touch uncertain as I head into the theater tomorrow morning. We've had a good deal of reviews stating how much better DOS is than AUJ - but the reviews over the past day have certainly skewed away from that. Considering that the issues I originally had with AUJ were completely different issues from what the critics were complaining about, it's hard for me to judge how I'm going to feel about this film. My primary complaints about AUJ - at the time - were a slow mid-section, the Azog subplot, and the tacked-on ending. Not to mention the expectations I'd built up from The Lord of the Rings. I've warmed up considerably to the film, and enjoy the heck out of it now - but I won't lie, that initial viewing was a letdown. I really don't want that kind of reaction this time around. I'd love to be blown away tomorrow.

*fingers crossed*

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 12 2013, 10:49pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 10:56pm

Post #12 of 34 (596 views)
Shortcut
It seems weird... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that a score over 2/4 would be a rotten... although they often do the same for 6/10.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 10:58pm

Post #13 of 34 (577 views)
Shortcut
That's what I always said... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with my test scores in school. Tongue

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 10:59pm

Post #14 of 34 (629 views)
Shortcut
Positive review from Matt Goldberg at Collider [In reply to] Can't Post

http://collider.com/...ion-of-smaug-review/

He's not counted on RT, but it's a good review (and Matt can be a little difficult to please sometimes). He does go against the overwhelmingly positive consensus on Smaug a little, though.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 12 2013, 11:01pm)

architecthis
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 11:00pm

Post #15 of 34 (578 views)
Shortcut
feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

but not seeing it until Saturday... let us know what you think.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 11:08pm

Post #16 of 34 (575 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

That imho is one of the biggest improvements in DoS:

By comparison, Mirkwood and Lake-town have their own personalities, and more importantly, people talk about other places in Middle-earth. Jackson is showing and telling, and it makes the world feel lived in, but in a different way than Lord of the Rings.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 11:19pm

Post #17 of 34 (524 views)
Shortcut
details about scores [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like there is a subjective element when judging those scores that are close to a line that must faIl somewhere between 60% and 70%.

I'm trying to hold back, though and wait until scores settled down before I react too much. In the mean time, I'm sure there will be plenty of adjustments / corrections to the reporting of scores and decisions about which responses will be the official scored responses etc. etc. Just because the system has been detailed for us at some point doesn't mean that it can't change.

There are so many reviews coming in that I don't see how anyone could be able to read them all and evaluate them consistently. In the end, it doesn't matter very much anyway since I (and many others) have already pre-determined whether or not they will go to the movie (regardless of these scores). To some extent, these scores will only shape the dialogue / explanations of choices already made.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 11:30pm

Post #18 of 34 (537 views)
Shortcut
The way it's looking [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too optimistic of critics. Changes nothing on my opinion though. I know I'll love it before I've even seen it much like I knew I'd love all of the other films.

wasscally wabbit
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 11:39pm

Post #19 of 34 (542 views)
Shortcut
Manola Dargis at NYT [In reply to] Can't Post

Mixed review from New York Times

The good Mr. Jackson dukes it out with the bad throughout “The Desolation of Smaug.” There are, once again, too many busy, uninterestingly staged battles that lean heavily on obvious, sometimes distracting digital sorcery. But there are also pacific, brooding interludes in which the actors — notably Mr. Freeman, an intensely appealing screen presence — remind you that there’s more to Middle-earth than clamor and struggle.

http://www.nytimes.com/...p;seid=auto&_r=0

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 11:51pm

Post #20 of 34 (502 views)
Shortcut
Another positive added. Now at 73. [In reply to] Can't Post

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 12:22am

Post #21 of 34 (436 views)
Shortcut
It's fresh on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

which is nice, since NY Times is usually pretty hard on fantasy genre stuff.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 12:52am

Post #22 of 34 (412 views)
Shortcut
Back to 73... [In reply to] Can't Post

... But there are quite some negatives in the pipe to come, from the Boston Globe and others.

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 12:55am

Post #23 of 34 (388 views)
Shortcut
RT [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been reading all RT reviews prior to seeing the movie on 11 december 13 (11-12-13, great date for it)
But I think all these guys see too many movies and therefor lose the big picture.
Despite what they write, they see it as one movie (some admit it) and they even wanted a less open ending.
Amazing.
This movie is fantastic in my opionion as was the previous one.
Some wanted to see the book letter=by=letter, but therefor that is a book. Buy it and let your own imagination fill it in.
This is a movie and it is about 8 hours long and we have now seen about 5,5 hours of it (the other half hour will be the extended version half way 2014).
It is a fantastic world with many great fitures.. enjoy it .. the RT reviews i saw did not come close to the movie I saw.
Perhaps because the only movies I saw since 1999 are the LOR and these 2 (in cinema that is). They are worth watching.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 1:02am

Post #24 of 34 (408 views)
Shortcut
Boston Globe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw a Boston Globe DOS review by Ty Burr, but it sounded fairly positive..?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 1:09am

Post #25 of 34 (390 views)
Shortcut
There are some positives missing too [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the LA Times (which should appear eventually) and the long lost Hit Fix (which I have given up on).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.