Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mikael Persbrandt interview

TheBrewingOfAle

Dec 12 2013, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 4 (493 views)
Shortcut
Mikael Persbrandt interview Can't Post

Here's an interview with Mikael Persbrandt by the Swedish news agency TT. Sorry for the rough translation.

PERSBRANDT AT HOME IN THE HOBBIT FAMILY

Eight trips to the other side of the globe and more waiting time than action time. Still Mikael Persbrandt enjoyed to shoot The Hobbit-trilogy.
- Peter Jackson makes it feel like a little movie-family, he says.

The trilogy is a logistic project of almost military proportions. For Mikael's part it meant eight trips to New Zealand and more waiting time than time in front of the camera. Getting on the makeup and prosthetics that turned him into the three-meter tall giant bear Beorn took up to four to five hours everyday. Nevertheless he thinks that director Peter Jackson managed to create a homely atmosphere during the shootings.
– Peter Jackson is different in the way that he works in an industry worth billions but makes it feel like a small and rather personal experience when you're standing on the set in front of the camera, says Mikael Persbrandt to swedish news agency TT.

The actor says that it was not entirely obvious to accept the role because all the secrecy surrounding the script meant that he had not have a clue about how the films would turn out. But the chance to be involved in an international blockbuster and the fact that he as a child loved Tolkien's books proved decisive.
– What I care most about is what happens between people, the drama. I come from the theater, but it's obviously fun to be in such a huge production.

These movies are visual bombshells and some critics have grumbled that all effects comes in the way of acting. Mikael Persbrandt admits that the technologically advanced shooting was not easy.
– Those of us who are very large or very small in that movie unfortunately have to work with what they call green screens and tennis balls instead of people. It has its complications, I would of course prefer to play against Ian McKellen than against a tennis ball.

Yet he takes criticism easily.
– Peter is a master at making these kinds of movies. If you are invited to his universe you have to take the spoon by the hand and hang on, it's not so damn much to discuss. One can have different preferences when it comes to cinema, but he's a fantastic storyteller and it's a joy to be a part of it.

On one of the trips to New Zealand Mikael Persbrandt took his family and sneaked his son Igor, 7 years old, in to the preview of "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" in Stockholm. His son's review: "Very exciting."
– They went down for a visit so they have met Gandalf and the whole gang. They are totally crazy about this so he probably thought I my part was too small. But I said it will be more in the third movie.

It has been said before, but is worth repeating to get some perspective on the swedish hysteria surrounding Michael Persbrandt's part in the The Hobbit-trilogy: Beorn is a supporting role. The Swedish filmstar did not appear at all in the first movie and only gets a few minutes on screen in the second part. More, however, is to be expected in the final chapter. So far Peter Jackson has turned every stone on Tolkien's books to fill out his three long movies. It's not a wild guess that Persbrandt will appear in substantial action scenes when the last movie reaches its climax.
– It is a limited role in the book and the movie. Now there is apparently more in the third movie when we come to the great battle between the three armies and the great resolution. It is very exciting to look forward to, but what I shall not reveal.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 4:13pm

Post #2 of 4 (281 views)
Shortcut
Good – thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to confirm that we will be seeing more of Beorn in the third film! Excellent. Smile

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 4:25pm

Post #3 of 4 (262 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some nice tidbits here. Thanks for going to the effort of translating it all, much appreciated!

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 4 (158 views)
Shortcut
Doest't say much [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesnt't say much, but after seeing so little of him in DoS, I do so hope we see more expanded scenes in TABA.

Throw us a bone, PJ.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.