Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog taking Bolgs place as Commander of the orc army in the Battle of the Five Armies? (Spoilers!)

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 12 (681 views)
Shortcut
Azog taking Bolgs place as Commander of the orc army in the Battle of the Five Armies? (Spoilers!) Can't Post

After watching DoS it seems to be very much setting up Azog to be the guy in charge of the war effort, and not Bolg doing it (at least in part) out of wanting revenge. Mainly (obviously) because both are alive when see the army moving out from Dol Guldur.

What say ye? Is Azog going to be top dog? And what will happen to Bolg? Is he the one to be killed by Dain? Is Dain even going to be a major character?

Most of the reasons I think the Azog character actually worked in AUJ with regards to motive/plot/etc would be kind of spoiled if this seems to be the case.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 12 (382 views)
Shortcut
I think so about Azog case [In reply to] Can't Post

But who knows. At this point PJ left us too far behide.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (354 views)
Shortcut
My theory [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg and Azog will both act as high lieutenants at the battle, I think. With so many heroes there it might not be too bad to have more recognizable villains. Let's Dain get Azog and Beorn Bolg :)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Adanel
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (214 views)
Shortcut
I know people wont like this [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact I am not sure that I like this idea myself but I wondered after leaving the film if they were setting it up for Legolas to be the one to kill Bolg. He raced off after him at the end of the film looking murderous but I don't think he will follow him far, surely he will turn back to Laketown and Tauriel when he sees the dragon. If so they have kind of left it with Legolas having a bit of a vendetta to sort out.

Just a thought, I would rather it was Beorn like in the book personally but they have given. Beorn reason to go after Azog which would do.

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 8:16pm

Post #5 of 12 (215 views)
Shortcut
Peter and Philippa more or less confirmed Azog was replacing Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

In the appendices (and maybe commentary) they talk about hinging everything on Azog's son seeking revenge didn't sit right with the story, that it needed to be Azog himself to have more impact.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Just seen DoS as well and sure, Azog will be the main lead at the Battle of Five Armies.
We've already heard Legolas( Bloom) shot a 12 hour action scene this summer with a major orc opponent. That will probably be Bolg then, who he will end up killing.
They set that up now, and it's possible they face each other early in the 3rd film already, what with Legolas now in hot pursuit of him at the end of DoS.
I'd like for Beorn to kill one of Bolg or Azog though, preferably Azog.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 12 (154 views)
Shortcut
Bolg's Bodyguard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure i'm not the only one who was really looking forward to seeing Bolg and his bodyguard wipe out dwarves, elves, and men at the BO5A... Surely they will still make an appearance? I'd have thought PJ and WETA would leap at the chance to give the audience some new, powerful Orc designs. The Elite Unit. The 'Best of the 'Best'.

*SPOILER ALERT*

After all these are the Orcs that kill Thorin, Fili, and Kili... Bolg has to have a hand in that surely? He's also wearing Bear paws on his shoulder pads so they could still set up Beorn Vs Bolg as it is in the book.

I have no problem with Azog at all. He can be at the BO5A and kick some major ass. It'll be great... But I do hope he doesn't completely steal Bolg's thunder!

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 7:22am

Post #8 of 12 (115 views)
Shortcut
which is super silly [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of very few things with more impact than revenge.

But I guess it's a product of wanting to tie it together with the expanded role of the necromancer in the story. He's obviously the one calling the shots, and with a much darker motive than revenge and gold.

But like I said, then there needed not be most of the changes that people were not liking in the AUJ. Wrinting seems a bit rushed - as a lot of things, unfortunately.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 7:29am

Post #9 of 12 (112 views)
Shortcut
The OP of the thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After all these are the Orcs that kill Thorin, Fili, and Kili... Bolg has to have a hand in that surely? He's also wearing Bear paws on his shoulder pads so they could still set up Beorn Vs Bolg as it is in the book.

I have no problem with Azog at all. He can be at the BO5A and kick some major ass. It'll be great... But I do hope he doesn't completely steal Bolg's thunder!

This is what the OP was about... I think it's pretty safe to say that it WON'T be Bolg that has a bodyguard, kills the three dwarves or command the orc army. It will be Azog. Azog is going to be the one who is killed by Beorn.

Bolg is reduced to common general status, and brought in to give Legolas more screen time. Which is a shame.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 16 2013, 3:52pm)

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 2:27pm

Post #10 of 12 (98 views)
Shortcut
I hope not, but fear you could be right [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems they're setting up some Bolg vs. Legolas thing, which of course most likely means they'll want to give the two a big fight in the next one, probably ending with Legolas killing Bolg. Which would disappoint me, a lot. Frown

I'm hoping it will still end with Dain killing Azog and Beorn killing Bolg. Whatever the plan is right now, Jackson keeps changing his mind on how to do things right up until release date, so still plenty of time for him to do this right. I hope.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 7:40am

Post #11 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
Set-up [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say - with Azog clearly being scared of Beorn (from the comments he made in the beginning of DoS).

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 9:35am

Post #12 of 12 (82 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling Tauriel is going to get killed by Bolg defending/trying to save Kili - and Legolas will avenge her. That way the loose end by introducing a made-up character is knotted and Legolas has the dwarves to blame for Tauriel's death - tying in neatly with how he feels about them i the Fellowship of the Ring...

It seems set up in this way, but sadly, this means Dain is out of the picture completely - and we might not even see him before the TABA EE.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.