The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 47 (1733 views)
Shortcut
Reviews,Reactions Thread Part 18 Can't Post

RT back to 72%
Tom Long out of the way at least - and so is Steven Whitty
Positive from Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-review-8999770.html?utm_

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 12 2013, 11:39pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 47 (929 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, no 80% [In reply to] Can't Post

And average rating falls below 7. When all is said and done it will barely improve from AUJ. Frown

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 47 (899 views)
Shortcut
sad but true [In reply to] Can't Post

It continues to be highly divisive (Fantasy- lovers vs. haters, positive reviews from AUJ turn negative and vice versa etc.) My guess for RT when all is said and done 70%. Yours?

Olorin2607
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 2:03pm

Post #4 of 47 (894 views)
Shortcut
I really don't care anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I will love it. Haters may hate if they get anything out of it.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 47 (849 views)
Shortcut
sure, around 70% // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 2:07pm

Post #6 of 47 (843 views)
Shortcut
That's where I'm at [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice to see the love the film was getting up until yesterday when RT decided to unleash all the negative reviews it had. Going to see it tonight and I am so excited to see it.Cool

paleiko

Dec 12 2013, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 47 (819 views)
Shortcut
RT Average Rating down to 6.9 this film will.... [In reply to] Can't Post

end up not being any better reviewed than its predecessor.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 2:31pm

Post #8 of 47 (794 views)
Shortcut
I think I will will stay with my initial prediction. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm staying stupidly optimistic for a the final score to land in the low 80's. It will be somewhere between 78-82% in the end!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 47 (770 views)
Shortcut
That's how I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

And after last year, the opinion of critics has lost all credibility for me. I might read the odd review after I've seen the film, but other than that I couldn't care less about their opinions.

In Reply To
I know I will love it. Haters may hate if they get anything out of it.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 2:39pm

Post #10 of 47 (771 views)
Shortcut
I've read a lot of them this time. [In reply to] Can't Post

And REALLY some are just giant.. you know what. I won't spell it or it will get edited.

If you are not able to spell the names right (Torin Oakshield), compare it to Star Wars Episode II - Revenge of the Sith (SIC!... notice something?)
or call the elves elfs then how am I supposed to take you seriously?

(This post was edited by Nagini6 on Dec 12 2013, 2:47pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 2:46pm

Post #11 of 47 (755 views)
Shortcut
Ending up [In reply to] Can't Post

higher in the end I think probably someplace around 7.3-7.5. In the end it is what it is. I'm loving the journey and I hope others do as well. If not that their loss.

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 2:55pm

Post #12 of 47 (786 views)
Shortcut
quiet positive from Richard Roeper [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.suntimes.com/...r-than-the-last.html

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 3:11pm

Post #13 of 47 (725 views)
Shortcut
The three movie split... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is simply too unpopular with critics for it to end much higher than 70 if at all.

This makes people less tolerant towards PJ indulging in certain scenes.

Though the imdb list suggests that outside the RT counted reviews this seems to be better received... And I think the general audience will like it more , too. But as fsrbas critical reception goes, I would be contend with 70 for this one.

A bit sad looking at what movies like most Avenger movies or even Attack of the Clones got... But whatever. Critically this was always a though job and PJ goes with his vision, which is nice for those who like it but won't win over critics of the whole idea in general.

Btw, I am sure DoS will get a lot of criticism from a lot of fans here ad well once more fan reviews come in.*

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 12 2013, 3:19pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 12 2013, 3:23pm

Post #14 of 47 (717 views)
Shortcut
Great Quote from Richard Roeper... [In reply to] Can't Post

"As for the bad guys,
here’s the thing about these orcs.

Despite their classic evil-creature
growly voices and their fearsome
appearance and their thirst for blood,

...they seem to SUCK!!! at actually fighting.

Marauding through the town of Esgaroth,
they’re no match for Legolas and Tauriel,
who take out dozens of them without
ever mussing up their hair."

DUH? Ain't THAT the TRUTH!

BombyCrazy

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 3:23pm

Post #15 of 47 (664 views)
Shortcut
it's strange [In reply to] Can't Post

i mean, it's already won a lot of previous naysayers over and i've only seen a few critics who liked AUJ better, and some of those didn't give AUJ a positive review, anyways. also, there are a lot more 4 out of 5 type reviews than there were for AUJ. so it would seem virtually impossible that it would end up with similar scores as to what AUJ ended up with on RT, unless RT is now including a lot of negative reviews from sources they didn't include for AUJ.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 3:35pm

Post #16 of 47 (635 views)
Shortcut
The superhero thing I don't get [In reply to] Can't Post

I like a lot of superhero flicks, and loved them more after they learned how to execute them rather well a few years ago, but most of them are all the same, but with a new face and different ways to execute the action scenes. As good as Avengers is, in the end it was just executed much better than most of the Marvel movies, but it's not really unique at all.

This is an actual story, and a beautiful one with amazing to look at scenes. It's fresh and doesn't follow the mentality of just because you saw one Tolkien adaption, you've seen them all.

Critics should not be able to judge a movie based on their opinions of book to movie or not following source material the way they would have wished. Those are opinions that they should bring to a message board or Facebook, but need to be left out of professional reviews. Critique the film as a film and not as a book, because it is NOT a book.

Fili
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 3:39pm

Post #17 of 47 (679 views)
Shortcut
Looking Through These Negative Reviews... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like there is still some hate over the three movie split. Tom Long says this movie "didn't need to be made."

"Didn't need to be made" sounds like a category of movie reserved for real POS titles like Super Mario Bros. and Cop Dog...

Well, hopefully people see enough positive reviews to decide that it was actually a good thing this movie was made. I'm really curious whats going to happen with RT after the initial release here in the USA.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 3:39pm

Post #18 of 47 (616 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

All the heroes in LotR slew orcs with great ease as well. It was the random Gondor soldiers and such who seemed to be even less capable than the mindless orcs, lol.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 3:41pm

Post #19 of 47 (621 views)
Shortcut
Critics vs. My Personal Experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Look, I tend to give the collective opinion of film critics quite a bit of credit. Usually, I find that my opinion matches up with at least what the majority of critics say about a film, with some exceptions obviously.

But here's the thing with The Hobbit. Last year, on my first viewing, I was let down. I found the movie a little disappointing... but not for the reasons critics were saying. They complained primarily about the Bag End scenes. I LOVED the Bag End scenes. They complained about the childish tone - I LOVED the trolls, the Goblin King, the songs, etc. My issues, at the time, were related to Azog, a slow paced mid-section, and the re-scripted *wrap up* ending.

Critics may as well have been speaking in a different language from me when it came to AUJ. So I honestly am taking their reviews this year with a grain of salt. The reasons any of them like or dislike this film are probably not going to be the same reasons I like or dislike it. This is definitely one of those situations where the only opinion that's going to interest me is my own.

Again, I'm not saying this as a defense mechanism against some of the less-than-stellar reviews. Last year showed me that as Tolkien fans, we come from a completely different perspective than a good deal of those in the critical community.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 12 2013, 3:43pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 3:48pm

Post #20 of 47 (614 views)
Shortcut
That irrates me immensely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are they to say the movie "didn't need to be made?" The millions of fans and billions of dollars say otherwise.

Read as: "This wasn't artsy enough, and many people will enjoy it immensely, but they are peasants who don't matter. Bow down to my elite snobbery."

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 3:54pm

Post #21 of 47 (567 views)
Shortcut
I agree with what you're saying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lots of issues with AUJ. but none of them are anything like the majority of critics complained about with their sheep-minded attitude sounding like broken records. And that's the wierd thing for me - when you ask any moviegoer of what they felt about the movie they just watched, the answers they give are often very varied. Some liked this, some liked that. With critics however, I am struck by how alike they are. It is as if they are trained to follow certain "rules" to the extreme, and if this movie doesn't follow those rules, the movie will be bashed.

Note that I am not talking about just The Hobbit here, I've noticed this cultish behaviour among critics when it comes to many other movies. And it also works both ways - if this movie has "that" or "that", they see something we don't. And this is why I pay less and less heed to critics. Just look at RT scores of some movies - sometimes the difference is huge. The critic score could be 95% and the moviegoer score could be 40% for the same movie and the other way around. I'm just saying that I think it's strange and all, and I don't like their inflexible approach to rating movies.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 4:23pm

Post #22 of 47 (584 views)
Shortcut
Veeery positive from top critic Colin Covert [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.vita.mn/movies/235494911.html

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 47 (504 views)
Shortcut
Up to 74% [In reply to] Can't Post

and average rating to 7.0 after 2 new additions on RT

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 4:47pm

Post #24 of 47 (504 views)
Shortcut
It's up to release day critics now. [In reply to] Can't Post

The needle will move back and forth a bit today, but the major inflow of critics tomorrow will decide things. It could easily go down to the 60s like AUJ, or stabilize around 75-80%. I'm hoping for the latter, but at this point it doesn't matter much to me. I've heard what I needed to from the actual content of the reviews, and all that's left is for my own verdict tomorrow morning. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 5:04pm

Post #25 of 47 (511 views)
Shortcut
back to 72, but positive from Chicago Sun Times [In reply to] Can't Post

http://lincolnshire.suntimes.com/...PPN-12122013:article

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.