The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does Bolg beat up Legolas?

boldog
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 12:37am

Post #1 of 13 (851 views)
Shortcut
Does Bolg beat up Legolas? Can't Post

Apparently there is a one on one fist fight between the two. Please tell me legolas looses. Surely he couldnt stand a chance at beating bolg in a brawl. I like the idea also of legolas being harmed. In every other film he is just the perfect character who is never hurt. I hope he gets a hiding in the next two films! Lol but yeah how does he go in the bolg brawl?

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2013, 12:56am

Post #2 of 13 (545 views)
Shortcut
It's pretty much a tie, [In reply to] Can't Post

and then two lesser orcs attacks Legolas while Bolg escapes on his warg

The scene is MUCH better than it sounds, I was impressed Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Dec 12 2013, 12:56am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 12 2013, 1:01am

Post #3 of 13 (508 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of Legolas the untouched taking some blows, however, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't imagine Bolg or even Azog would completely destroy the Elf in a fight, because the Elves are abnormally strong and durable by normal human standards, without being behemoths.

In Reply To
Apparently there is a one on one fist fight between the two. Please tell me legolas looses. Surely he couldnt stand a chance at beating bolg in a brawl. I like the idea also of legolas being harmed. In every other film he is just the perfect character who is never hurt. I hope he gets a hiding in the next two films! Lol but yeah how does he go in the bolg brawl?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2013, 1:05am

Post #4 of 13 (477 views)
Shortcut
Well! [In reply to] Can't Post

While thinking of it...
Legolas does get a nose bleed!
I really liked that touch Wink
Wiping under his nose and looking at the blood on his fingers and then back up with anger in his eyes before jumping up on a horse and riding after Bolg Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Name
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 1:12am

Post #5 of 13 (479 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we "all" want Legolas to lose because elves are being portrayed in the movies as un-defeatable ninjas. Yet I think that's pretty much (but not exactly) how Tolkien wrote his elves. These examples have been said, but I'd like to reiterate.
Elves are.......

-Almost weightless, ie Legolas walking on snow.
-Incredibly well-balanced and agile, as displayed by Tolkien writing about them easily walking across a single "tightrope" while crossing into Lorien.
-Incredible fighters - Legolas is hundreds upon hundred's of years old. I think he's had more than enough training to be considered a "ninja".

I'm not saying I want elves to be the cheat code of Middle Earth, but I just want to point out they are pretty amazing, so Legolas being totally bested by a single orc seems a little strange.

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

(This post was edited by Name on Dec 12 2013, 1:13am)

Defiant
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 1:18am

Post #6 of 13 (451 views)
Shortcut
Tonnes of Elves died in PJ's Helm's Deep battle ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... including Haldir of course, but it was nice to see Legolas take a hit or two for a change. Worked well in my opinion and I got the feeling from his reaction that it was a new experience for the Elven princeling. A nice character moment while at the same time demonstrating there were stakes in the contest after we had witnessed Orcs being killed so easily throughout the rest of the film.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 3:03am

Post #7 of 13 (371 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't seen the film yet, but I imagine there are some who would love to see Legolas get beat up by Bolg. Evil Especially for having a teenybopper crush on Tauriel.
EvilSly Not that I want to see him get beat up, he is one of my favorite characters, at least he was...

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 3:05am

Post #8 of 13 (411 views)
Shortcut
The most physical fight of the whole movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though the scene in which Kili gets wounded is quite physical, too.

The way Legolas' reacts to his nose bleeding is one of the few good moments of OB's performance, imho. But people all around me adored Legolas, so ignore my snarky comment ;)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 3:05am

Post #9 of 13 (369 views)
Shortcut
I think some are aware of this [In reply to] Can't Post

But with his role being so large for something that was originally supposed to be a small role, there might be some who want to see him get bested. That's the impression I get.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 12 2013, 5:35am

Post #10 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I thought TOO many died at Helm's deep. I thought it was a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

ott to suggest that hardly any of them would survive and make it to the retreat and the coming of Gandalf.

In Reply To
... including Haldir of course, but it was nice to see Legolas take a hit or two for a change. Worked well in my opinion and I got the feeling from his reaction that it was a new experience for the Elven princeling. A nice character moment while at the same time demonstrating there were stakes in the contest after we had witnessed Orcs being killed so easily throughout the rest of the film.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 12 2013, 5:36am

Post #11 of 13 (328 views)
Shortcut
The rough and tumble with Bolg awakens him to his true desire... for a rough, stocky [In reply to] Can't Post

burly creature... like a dwarf. lolShockedTongueSly

In Reply To
Haven't seen the film yet, but I imagine there are some who would love to see Legolas get beat up by Bolg. Evil Especially for having a teenybopper crush on Tauriel.
EvilSly Not that I want to see him get beat up, he is one of my favorite characters, at least he was...

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 9:40am

Post #12 of 13 (238 views)
Shortcut
Saw the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw the film last night. The fight between Bolg and Legolas isn't that great really.
They fight in the cramped spaces of Lake-Town, throw each other around a bit and ends on a cliffhanger.

Bolg escapes Lake Town on a warg, with Legolas in pursuit on a horse. Then the story ends for them, clearly to be resumed in film 3.

As for who bosses who, it's a tie. Legolas will probably win in the end. The main difference is that Legolas and Tauriel alone kills hundreds of orcs in this film, but when Legolas meets Bolg, it's not as easy. Bolg is probablu the orc that we heard about earlier in the year when they spoke about Orlando Bloom doing a 12 hour shoot with a big Orc.

Legolas is ok in this film btw. Not bad, not great. Not nearly as irritating as Tauriel though, what a bad move that was from Jackson.

(This post was edited by Mithfânion on Dec 12 2013, 9:42am)

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 10:47am

Post #13 of 13 (219 views)
Shortcut
Awesome scene [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a great fight, I didn't expect it to be so badass, Legolas kicks ass.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.