Metacritic score raised to 74

Name
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 10:49pm

Post #2 of 38 (1258 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

RT score at 76 as of a few minutes ago.

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 10:56pm

Post #3 of 38 (1248 views)
Shortcut
EW A- not sure if posted already (oops sorry saw it at bottom of part 16 LOL) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ew.com/.../0,,20721932,00.html

(This post was edited by poochies on Dec 11 2013, 11:01pm)

anthonyroy
Bree

Dec 11 2013, 11:53pm

Post #4 of 38 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Seems To Be Dropping A Bit On RT. 2 Negatives added. [In reply to] Can't Post

Needs more positives. Gone from 80% earlier, to 73% now.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 11:58pm

Post #5 of 38 (1014 views)
Shortcut
That hasn't been posted at RT, has it [In reply to] Can't Post

At least I don't see it there. It is an excellent review, however, counter-balancing the idiotic review in the USA Today (which contains one of the dumbest comments that I have seen:

A couple of new characters are introduced in Rivendell, the stunningly beautiful elven realm.

Pay attention much?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 11:59pm

Post #6 of 38 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Apologies if LA Times was already posted. It's a great review - [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.latimes.com/...ck=rss#axzz2nDHTTGIF

It was such a pleasure to read this critic's (Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times Film Critic) review, it was so detailed and thoughtful. Great read :-).

haldad
Bree

Dec 12 2013, 12:01am

Post #7 of 38 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Quote from USA Today negative review: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Speaking of significant jewelry, Bilbo has his precious ring along on the trek, rendering him conveniently invisible whenever he slips it on. But he seems to do a lot of inexplicable holding and gazing at the ring, when he should be rapidly sliding it on his finger and moving on with things"

This seems odd to me. It's not really inexplicable for him to be gazing at a ring of power is it? Unless it takes up a ton of the movie, that is.

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:02am

Post #8 of 38 (976 views)
Shortcut
Yes that's how a professional critic writes a review, unlike some of these other posers [In reply to] Can't Post

and not just because it was positve, though I 've seen negative ones well written too

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:12am

Post #9 of 38 (959 views)
Shortcut
that sucks I was really looking forward to a good review from USA [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 12:15am

Post #10 of 38 (958 views)
Shortcut
That ring comment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? We have a problem with a little foreshadowing? I mean seriously, how often does he DO it?

And if Bilbo did what she wanted him to do, and put the ring on all the time, she would complain about how she only ever actually SAW Martin Freeman in weird ring-vision.

The ring is ominous, USA Today lady. Inexplicable, creepy ring-gazing (complete with creepy music) is ominous, and you're dim.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:17am

Post #11 of 38 (931 views)
Shortcut
Funny because she ( Claudia Puig) gave glowing reviews to LOTR) and for the most part knew what she was talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:22am

Post #12 of 38 (899 views)
Shortcut
That's what i was most looking forward to is the effects on Bilbo due to the power of the ring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2013, 12:22am

Post #13 of 38 (933 views)
Shortcut
Stuff.co.nz - 4.5/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

But you know what? This film is better than Unexpected Journey.
In fact, The Desolation of Smaug is so good it actually gave me a fresh appreciation of what that first part of the trilogy had achieved.
If Unexpected Journey seemed to take an awfully long time to cover very little story (which is surely a peril, when making a film about short people who walk everywhere) it did at least introduce us very thoroughly to the troupe.
So that when The Desolation of Smaug kicks off with a hiss and a roar, we aren't wondering who these hairy little oddities are.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...-Desolation-of-Smaug

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 12:25am

Post #14 of 38 (896 views)
Shortcut
LOL I think all NZ reviews will be positive :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 12:31am

Post #15 of 38 (893 views)
Shortcut
Anyone who'd seen LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would be looking for that. SHE should've been looking for it, not complaining about it.

And then there's her RT highlighted blurb:

"Like its predecessors, way too much trudging through forests."

So far most reviewers praise the pace of the movie and most Ringers who've seen it think the Mirkwood trek is too short! What gives?

This review...I think it irks me more because it comes from USA Today, which is the Lowest Common Denomonator as far as newspapers go.

:::Hides from all the Ringers who like USA Today:::

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Tinkerbell
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 12:45am

Post #16 of 38 (854 views)
Shortcut
the Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's inexplicable that the ring starts to hold Bilbo, especially considering
the magnitude of allure for all characters established in the Rings trilogy. I think it's understandable
that the ring's power already affects its bearer.

A concern I have, though, is that this allusion to the sway of the ring becomes, for me, an unnecessary distraction.
I hadn't necessarily imagined the significance of the ring in The Hobbit other than its
pure expediency. I understand placing the ring in a broader context of history with Bilbo's growing obsession,
and the desire to link this film trilogy with the Rings trilogy.

I start to wonder if the insinuations and references to The Lord of the Rings won't yank me out of
the story and the present moment. I can't help that I've seen the Rings trilogy Cool. I guess the effects of Bilbo's growing
reliance and obsession with the ring interests, but I don't know how this material avoids unnecessarily calling my attention to it.
That is, it might not seem to be Bilbo's growing possessiveness alone, but something once again telling me significance. Again, it might
be a bit of a bummer for me only because i've seen The Lord of the Rings moviesTongue. So I'm trying to lower my expectations
for the film due to all the supposed parallels and references to Rings. oh well. But perhaps a seen hand is more reassuring for others and maybe
i'll really enjoy these hints. Thoughts?

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 12 2013, 12:55am

Post #17 of 38 (846 views)
Shortcut
USA Today [In reply to] Can't Post

Has long been a joke of a newspaper for a long time. Not because of this but just how they report the news anymore.

Tinkerbell
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 1:34am

Post #18 of 38 (765 views)
Shortcut
just wanted to add [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this production has made this exciting time, and I hope the film is great!
Just wanted to add that the Tom character and Faramir resisted the allure
of the ring as others might've not have done. i was able to maybe read this from the book if i remember
correctly. Cool

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Dec 12 2013, 1:41am)

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 12 2013, 2:03am

Post #19 of 38 (706 views)
Shortcut
Take this stuff with a grain of salt... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that quite a few of these uber-negative reviews are from folks who have no idea about certain basic aspects of the story. The Ring's power, the Dwarves ability to escape injury (thus far...I remember somebody actually being critical of this in AUJ), the innocence of the Shire, the foreshadowing that necessarily darkens the mood throughout, the wackiness of Radagast, etc... They don't get it, and I don't get them. But that's quite okay with me. We know what's good and that's what counts. People are still going to go see it no matter what some of these hacks say. Wink

Tinkerbell
Lorien

Dec 12 2013, 2:05am

Post #20 of 38 (693 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

so much resisted but the ring had little to no allure to the characters.

Any other reviews? Cool

happydood
The Shire

Dec 12 2013, 2:47am

Post #21 of 38 (648 views)
Shortcut
It's been said, and I promise I'm not a conspiracy theorist.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it really is consistent on RT that negatives hit the second their released and a bunch of positives get sat on. Am I just hypersensitive? Or does it not take a day or more for the positives to show? Okay, okay, it doesn't matter what score it gets as long as I enjoy it, but it doesn't take much for me to envision Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons being in control of this whole Rotten Tomatoes enterprise and sitting around being spiteful and withholding reviews to make the nerds like me twist on the rope. Which of course says so much more about me than about Rotten Tomatoes.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2013, 2:56am

Post #22 of 38 (710 views)
Shortcut
The Listener - 3.5/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

This reviewer called AUJ a train wreck but he does approve of DOS - with the caveat that the Smaug sequence is "purest ham". (Spoilers in this review.)

http://www.listener.co.nz/...desolation-of-smaug/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

demnation
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 3:14am

Post #23 of 38 (636 views)
Shortcut
Probably one of the best reviews I've read [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems quite familiar with the book, and that gives him a rather unique and refreshing perspective. Thanks!

Hello!

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 3:25am

Post #24 of 38 (596 views)
Shortcut
I'm just ready for tomorrow night! [In reply to] Can't Post

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 12 2013, 3:33am

Post #25 of 38 (606 views)
Shortcut
wow, good review, but so strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

that his one major gripe is Smaug when virtually every other review loves the dragon.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.