Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Fellowship in The Hobbit?

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 6 (485 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship in The Hobbit? Can't Post

What do you guys think? How would the Fellowship handle Azog and Smaug?

For example:

Aragorn vs Azog? Throin didn't do too well against Azog (I think it was pretty much a 'fluke' he cut off Azog's arm). Aragorn was able to take on Lurtz, do you think Aragorn could take out Azog by himself?

Whole party vs Smaug? Bard is probably going to take out Smaug (hopefully in the movie), but what if the hobbits go into Smaug's lair, find the weak spot - will Legolas be able to handle Smaug well?

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 3:18am

Post #2 of 6 (298 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Aragorn can probably take on Azog, and slay him more effectively. The hobbits could easily sneak into Smaug's lair, and Frodo's got the One Ring. With the four of them, none of the hobbits might not fall under the dragon spell as easily, and there are four sets of eyes to look for a weak spot. Once found, Legolas could probably shoot it (he's and Elf and therefore has keen eyes.) And if we're following continuity correctly, he will shoot without being distracted by Tauriel, and will be cheered on by Gimli. Cool

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 6 (296 views)
Shortcut
Good analysis. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Azog is more powerful than Lurtz though, so Aragorn may face a challenge.

Let's add an extra layer here: Say of Boromir was still around, the 2 of them can then face Azog and Bolg. That will make it interesting. Need to find a way to get Gimili into the action as well.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 14 2013, 1:09am

Post #4 of 6 (249 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship would decimate Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

With the exception of the hobbits, the Fellowship members were all trained warriors. Aragorn was skilled in swordsmanship, Boromir was a Captain of Gondor, Legolas was a skilled archer and marksman, and Gimli was a little juggernaut with an axe. Most of the members of Thorin and Company (at least in the movie version) are not warriors. They're merchants, tinkers, and toymakers, the only dwarves who volunteered for Thorin's mission. Thorin, Balin, and Dwalin are the only ones shown to have a warrior background, though the others have a little bit of weapons training. I think the Fellowship would have the advantage in a battle, whereas the dwarves are relying on luck and sheer numbers.

One on one, Azog would give Aragorn a good fight. But I think Aragorn could take him. He's taller than Thorin so Azog would not tower over him. He likely has more years of active combat experience in all his Ranger patrols and his adventures as "Thorongil" in the armies of King Thengel and Ecthelion the Steward. Thorin is a bit rusty and out of practice after years of relative peace in Ered Luin.

I'm curious why you think Azog is more powerful than Lurtz. Theoretically, it should be the other way around. The Uruk-hai are the super-soldier orcs -- taller, stronger, and smarter than regular orcs and possessing no fear of the sun. Peter Jackson has been beefing up his Gundabad orcs in the movies but at the end of the day, they're still of an earlier breed, not yet perfected by Sauron and Saruman's breeding experiments.

As for Smaug, well...that's another story. The Fellowship could not hope to defeat him in combat but Legolas might be able to bullseye that bare patch in his scales. If Bard could do it, Leggy has a pretty good chance.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Dec 14 2013, 1:11am)

boldog
Rohan

Dec 14 2013, 4:30am

Post #5 of 6 (251 views)
Shortcut
I believe the BIG difference between Azog and Lurtz [In reply to] Can't Post

Is their mentality. Lurtz, is kind of like a robot, doing whatever he has to. Azog is a king and does things based on his own decsions. he is just as experienced as any member of the fellowship.

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 15 2013, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 6 (473 views)
Shortcut
Azog does not get enough credit simply because a lot of people around here [In reply to] Can't Post

don't like the fact he is still alive. If you leave personal judgement aside, I don't see Lurtz being able to handle Azog. Azog looks larger, faster and all around more intimidating. Boromir would be there to back Aragorn up, and take him down, but Aragorn had some serious issues with Lurtz and I think he'd have even more troubles with Azog in a solo fight.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.