Reviews & Reactions, Part 16 Can't Post

Here we go...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 4:08pm

Post #2 of 61 (1340 views)
Shortcut
BFCA **Critics Choice** [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this at the tail end of the last thread, but it slipped over to the second page about a minute later.

The Broadcast Film Critics Association's score has been floating around the mid-80s for a few days. It's currently sitting at 84/100, and they've given it a **Critics' Choice** label. I think that might also mean that the voting is done for the film. So that's great news, I think. They gave AUJ a 76/100.

http://www.criticschoice.com/top-movies/

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

demnation
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 61 (1132 views)
Shortcut
BFCA is the largest critic association in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

So that is very good news.

Hello!

daemoon
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 61 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Comparing their scores with RT [In reply to] Can't Post

The Book Thief
79/100 - 48% on RT

Frozen
88/100 - 88% on RT

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
85/100 - 89% on RT

Thor: The Dark World
77/100 - 65% on RT

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
84/100 - ???

Hopefully DoS won't end up like The Book Thief and Thor, movies with a good score with BFCA but low on RT.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 5:28pm

Post #5 of 61 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Negative review from Reelview added [In reply to] Can't Post

It will down from 79 but dont know the number yet.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Dec 11 2013, 5:30pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 61 (950 views)
Shortcut
Down to 77 // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 5:38pm

Post #7 of 61 (981 views)
Shortcut
I'm satisfied with this outcome so far [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I'm enough today because in next 12 hours I will be reviewing DoS by myself and that will be Ultra Ultimate Super Top Critic of mine.

Just wish me enjoy DoS. Blush

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 61 (972 views)
Shortcut
that'd be Berardinelli [In reply to] Can't Post

we knew that one was coming.

they do update awfully fast with the negative reviews whereas some positive reviews take a long time to get on there, i don't think that's just perception. i guess they're trying to be proactive about keeping the scores looking balanced?

or maybe the critics wanting to be negative are more pro-active about making sure their opinions are heard quickly in response to the higher percentage of positive reviews.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 61 (959 views)
Shortcut
Another one that could have gone either way [In reply to] Can't Post

2 and half stars out of 4. And I thought it was very well written, and made good points.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 6:06pm

Post #10 of 61 (887 views)
Shortcut
I hate all this perception and proactivity BS.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why cannot rotten tomatoes simply upload them as they come??! Goodnight! Is it that hard?

cartermoulton
Bree

Dec 11 2013, 6:32pm

Post #11 of 61 (823 views)
Shortcut
mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

from Newsday
http://www.newsday.com/...ig-effects-1.6581094

"the road goes ever on and on..."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 6:45pm

Post #12 of 61 (758 views)
Shortcut
And yes another "rotten" that could have gone either way [In reply to] Can't Post

From The List, 3 of 5 stars, but still rotten.
http://film.list.co.uk/...desolation-of-smaug/
It seems that every borderline review is getting listed as rotten. The score could easily be in the mid 80s if it went the other way.
They now have a consensus: "While still slightly hamstrung by "middle chapter" narrative problems and its formidable length, The Desolation of Smaug represents a more confident, exciting second chapter for the Hobbit series."

The Hall of Fire

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 6:55pm

Post #13 of 61 (734 views)
Shortcut
that Sci-Fi Movie Page review is really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/hobbit2.html

someone may have already commented on this review and i missed it--but this guy states in his review that he does not like The Hobbit or LotR books (says he had to slog through them), did not like the LotR movies or AUJ...and he likes this movie. enough to give it 3 out of 4, anyways.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:04pm

Post #14 of 61 (678 views)
Shortcut
it is not RT [In reply to] Can't Post

The reviewers decide when they hand their reviews in and whether it should go rotten or fresh.

There is no conspiracy.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:09pm

Post #15 of 61 (757 views)
Shortcut
Evidence that RT is (deliberately or not) artificially keeping DoS's tomatometer score low [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed to me that almost all of the borderline reviews are being listed as rotten (with one even being changed). So I thought I would do an experiment, and compare DoS's average ratings with other recent movies (from the list of top rentals) with fairly similar tomatometer scores. The results are telling.

DoS currently has a 76% tomatometer score, with the average rating holding at 7.2.

Fast and Furious 6, is 70% and 6.2,
Monsters University, 78%, 6.8
Despicable Me 2, 75%, 6.7
The Wolverine, 69%, 6.3
The Heat, 66%, 6.2
Pacific Rim, 72%, 6.7
And perhaps most telling:
The Conjuring, 87%, 7.2

There you have it. All of those films have much lower average ratings in relation to their tomatometer scores than DoS. And The Conjuring, which has the same exact average rating, has a tomatometer score fully 11 percentage points higher than DoS. That is pretty compelling.

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Dec 11 2013, 7:11pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:14pm

Post #16 of 61 (692 views)
Shortcut
Even more telling [In reply to] Can't Post

The film Saving Mr. Banks, which is due to be released the same day as DoS, is currently at 84%, 7 percentage points above DoS, even though its average rating is 6.9, 0.3 lowered than that of DoS!

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:18pm

Post #17 of 61 (647 views)
Shortcut
You said that before, but it is not true [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked RT, and they said that they decide.

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:19pm

Post #18 of 61 (668 views)
Shortcut
Want more? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, the second film of a large blockbuster (just like DoS), is at 90% with an average score of 7.5 (just. .3 above DoS).

The Hall of Fire

bungobaggins
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 7:22pm

Post #19 of 61 (685 views)
Shortcut
lol wut [In reply to] Can't Post

People obsessing over a "tomatometer" and developing grand conspiracy theories like this are quite entertaining!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 7:22pm

Post #20 of 61 (675 views)
Shortcut
The way RT works... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that the percentage show how many critics liked it, not how well they liked it.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:25pm

Post #21 of 61 (635 views)
Shortcut
THan I apologize sincerely. [In reply to] Can't Post

And than it is really weird.

Thanks for the info :)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:30pm

Post #22 of 61 (605 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked them after the Film.com was changed. Who knows whether the person that answered really knew what they were talking about. But it doesn't makes sense that it would have been changed if he decided himself.
And now it is down to 75%. Four straight rottens.

The Hall of Fire

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 7:31pm

Post #23 of 61 (631 views)
Shortcut
the point being made [In reply to] Can't Post

is that the averaging of the scores given by the critics is not matching up with how the percent "Fresh" is showing when you compare it other films on the site. right now they are counting more middling reviews (B-, 3 out of 5, 2.5 out of 4, etc.) as "Rotten" for DoS than they seem to do for other movies.

i don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, nor do i really care, but i think the point is valid insomuch as it is a striking contrast when you look at the comparisons. maybe it's something that will even out and become consistent, though, once DoS is at full review count.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 7:34pm

Post #24 of 61 (599 views)
Shortcut
Ah, it's the NY Post diatribe [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to get that one out of the way.
Hopefully it will start trending back upward.

The Hall of Fire

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 7:37pm

Post #25 of 61 (620 views)
Shortcut
Actually I cant believe DoS can even go this far [In reply to] Can't Post

You all know that this trilogy suffered from the first installment (No matter you like it or not) and the middle film's curse. These are the huge burdens DoS must carried and I think it did well so far.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.