Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 4:17am

Post #1 of 7 (474 views)
Shortcut
The DOS Expectation Showdown! Part III Can't Post

Part I
Part II

Introduction

Hello Ringers! It is I, Fili: the hot dwarf who gets no chicks!

Over the past couple of weeks, we've clamored and cavorted, and turned the Hobbit Movie Discussion forum into a spoiler-fueled octagon. Dreams have been smashed, egos have been bruised, and carpel tunnel still rampages on.

Now, categorizing and dividing people into two sides is crude by nature, but is sometimes best for engaging in broad discussion. For the most part, there are two categories of opinion, or "sides," if you will, duking it out right now.

Dispel the Myths

First, lets dispel some myths that the two sides have about each other. For now, lets refer to both as side A and B.

How Side A Appears to Side B:

"These movies are a disgrace! Jackson is ruining Tolkien and his past LOTR films with all these horrible changes! Everything should be like the original book! CGI is cartoony crap and should never be used! Peter Lucas!!!"

How Side B Appears to Side A:

"Its PJ, baby! He can do no wrong! Let Bilbo fight the Battle of Five Armies by himself against Space Mutants! The critics all like it, and all the ones that don't are fat boring jerks! PJ is like Tywin Lannister: he craps gold!"

Now these are clearly extremes, and lets not indulge in any of that hyperbole.

The Question

Instead, lets be constructive and go on record by answering the following:

Overall, given what you know already, do you expect to be pleased or disappointed by Desolation of Smaug?

You can qualify your answer however you like, but in the end, its a pretty straight-forward, one-way-or-the-other answer to this question.

So What's The Point?

Once you answer this question, we can then begin to have an even more interesting discussion once you've seen it, for then we will have a new question to answer:

Did the film meet your expectation?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm going to be REALLY curious to see how many of you come away from the movie with a reaction that differs from what you expected. If someone expected to be disappointed, and came away pleased as punch, I REALLY want to hear what that person has to say. Likewise, if someone expected to really enjoy the film, but then leaves the theater feeling like PJ ran over his/her dog, I REALLY want to hear what that person has to say.

So...dare you go on record, here and now?

ôSo comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.

ôSo comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.ö

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 7:07am

Post #2 of 7 (218 views)
Shortcut
I honestly have no idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

A week ago, i was quite jazzed about seeing it. Sure, i'll probably have some problems with it, but i was genuinely excited and hopeful.

Then, after reading some reviews, i thought it could go either way. The Barrel sequence sounds exactly like something that i won't like, and the Tauriel/Kili thing is just ridiculous. But Laketown sounds promising, the spiders should be cool, and Smaug is guaranteed to be awesome.

Then today, i was looking over some of the fan reviews posted here, and from what was said, it occured to me... i might actually end up hating this movie. And those were the good reviews. The stuff they were describing, and what they were saying about it, just sounds like something that i might not like at all. Even if Smaug is as good as Gollum and Gandalf combined, it still might be too much to overcome.

So right now i just don't know. But Friday afternoon, i'm gonna go see it with a couple of friends, maybe get some food and a couple of beers, and try to just have a good time.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 7 (149 views)
Shortcut
I Will Like the Film [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been anticipating this movie for a long time and nothing I have heard so far as changed my delight in what I hope to see. Here is how I have come to terms with the changes PJ has made in TH. Bilbo wrote the story for children and that is the way Tolkien translated it. But this is, in the end an ad ult story about adults, so PJ is "translating" it as the adult story it is.

The more time I can spend in Middle Earth the better and from that point of view I appreciate what PJ is doing.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 7 (129 views)
Shortcut
Reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read some of the review/reaction threads here but not a lot. I want to enjoy it for myself. As with all films I no doubt will have some issues but I fully expect to enjoy the adventure overall.

This is why I really don't like to read too many reviews etc. I want to experience the film for myself and really it comes down to personal preference.

Anyway, I expect to very much like and enjoy it. I will state otherwise if it's different.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 3:33pm

Post #5 of 7 (133 views)
Shortcut
The only bit of info I am finding completely cringe-worthy so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the Tauriel/Kili stuff. I'm trying to go in with an open mind about it, but I don't know...haven't liked the idea of it from the get-go, and nothing I've heard so far has assuaged my concerns.

I think I can get past everything else. Even though it might induce a bit of eye-rolling, the theme-park ride stuff and Matrix-style fight scenes won't ruin it for me (I put up with it in AUJ). I'm already going in expecting lots of changes from the book/legendarium, but truth be told I have a hard time believing that it could be much worse than some of the transgressions we've already seen (Azog anyone?). The Gandalf/Dol Guldur stuff was never really too fleshed out in the lore, so I don't have many expectations there beyond Gandalf not being made to look like a punching-bag (which by just about all accounts, he does not). Glad to hear that Bolg seems to be taking up what was Azog's role in AUJ, but it begs the question - couldn't they have just used Bolg as the "pursuing Orc" from the beginning?

Anyway, my brother picked up a few tickets to the midnight showing tomorrow night, so I will be seeing it then.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 3:50pm

Post #6 of 7 (120 views)
Shortcut
the one thing i do like about reading reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it can help you slightly modify your expectations for a movie you are anticipating and also prepare you for some specific things that might have otherwise caused some distracting cognitive dissonance since you are familiar with the narrative in its original form.

like, i don't read negative reviews and think "i'm going to hate this movie" or positive reviews and think "i'm going to love it," but it can help your overall mindset walking into the film so that surprise or shock doesn't get too much in the way of your level of enjoyment. that said, the downside is you do have to spoil yourself a little bit. as far as that goes, i take solace in knowing that i can't really spoil myself on the MAJOR plot points as you could do with a film that's not an adaptation.

the one thing i've really been trying to avoid is spoilers about the Dol Guldur stuff. unfortunately, i ran into a few, but i think i will still be surprised by some of it.

zalmoxis
Bree

Dec 11 2013, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 7 (112 views)
Shortcut
Alas... [In reply to] Can't Post

After long, long lurking here, following the discussions eagerly, though with ever decreasing enthusiasm for these movies, I've come to the decision now that I'm not going to see DOS in the theatre.

Especially the "positive" reviews convinced me: I don't care for "fun park rides", "stunning CGI", "breathless action" etc., if such features seem to be the main or sole attraction.

So, no matter how "glorious" certain visuals and technical achievements may be, I don't care to sit there for two or three hours, just ogling set pieces or occasional "hot" dwarves, as subsitute for a real story,

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.