The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My thoughts on changes from the book - spoilers

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 3:05am

Post #1 of 12 (1119 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts on changes from the book - spoilers Can't Post

First of all, there were many changes which I did like - Bard for instance, giving him so much screentime was an excellent move and Luke Evans portrays him perfectly. A great improvement from the book where he shows up out of nowhere, here he is brought to the forefront as one of the major characters.

The changes I found jarring:

1. The Sauron "reveal" was not to my liking. When Sauron was just some shadowy thing in the beginning of the movie I rather liked it because he was mysterious. Then the reveal came and the design of the Necromancer simply wasn't good, at all. It was a bad mix of the Eye and Sauron in armor as we know from LOTR.

2. Kili/Tauriel. Tauriel was fine as a character, but the plot about Kili being shot in the leg and needed to be healed was annoying on two levels: first, it slowed down the pace of the real story (Bilbo, Smaug and dwarves in Erebor) plus the healing scene itself was pretty corny.

3. Legolas/Bolg fight in Laketown. Was it really necessary?

4. Beorn's house and Mirkwood being rushed through way too fast (especially Beorn's)

5. Thorin and the dwarves walking home in despair at the doorstep. What? Thorin, who has been so obsessed about Erebor and the gold for so many years, along with his fellow dwarves, finally arrives at the mountain. They think they have failed and that there is nothing to do but to go home when the keyhole didnt show up. He drops the key, hands the map to Bilbo and just walks back? That was so very un-Thorin, I thought. They had walked for so many months just to give up like that? Come on.

6. The finale, where the dwarves lure Smaug to the furnaces and some golden statue with a plot to pour the hot liquid on Smaug hoping it would kill him. It was too drawn out, IMO, and the CG suffered here in 3D HFR, especially in the golden statue-scene.

And this comes from someone who loved all the LOTR films, and was OK with most changes in AUJ, so I am not exactly the typical purist! In all honesty, the whole film felt like PJ had listened so much to the critics who thought AUJ was so slow that he upped the pace because of it. It probably was not, but it certainly felt like that. Hoping that I will like it more on my second viewing, which will be in 2D because the 3D + HFR annoyed me this time around, especially the CG - heavy scenes.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 11 2013, 3:10am)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 11 2013, 3:09am

Post #2 of 12 (622 views)
Shortcut
I agree on all points [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised that Bolg got so much screen time. I can only imagine that his fight with Legolas was to set up somthing further down the road.

I like the finale though. It offered a great climax, but it was maybe a little too drawn out. I liked that no matter what they did, they really had no chance against Smaug.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Dec 11 2013, 3:22am

Post #3 of 12 (571 views)
Shortcut
Shame to hear but I know I will enjoy this movie for what it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

A question: do you feel that not only was available time for Beorn and Mirkwood given up for invented scenes, but that the invented scenes were given more emphasis than the original work. That woudl be my overriding gripe with PJ's work, the addition of pure invention at the expense of canon. It's like he is saying, OK not only am I going to change what I don't like about this storey but I am going to remove it or reduce it so I can add more of what I want to.

I know that is a given to a certain extent when introducing new work, but supplementing the existing work, not reiventing it or discarding it in favour of new stuff is what some would prefer.

Defiant
Bree

Dec 11 2013, 3:38am

Post #4 of 12 (566 views)
Shortcut
Conversely, I loved all those changes [In reply to] Can't Post

and felt they made the film more dimensional and accessible.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 3:56am

Post #5 of 12 (522 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

The last we see of him is chasing Bolg right? Perhaps that'll take him to DG.

I didn't mind it, but couldn't figure out how they were both going to get out alive. He went through the rest of the orcs like butter though. It was great to see Legolas finally take a bit of a beating though.

With the keyhole, surely the worst case scenario is to wait a year and try again, unless he figured the map was just incorrect. I guessed that they needed moonlight.

It was great seeing Bilbo take charge and get them out of trouble and Thorin telling the others to do as he said. Felt that Thorin should have thanked him more often though.

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Dec 11 2013, 3:56am

Post #6 of 12 (549 views)
Shortcut
"Thorin" agrees with you on no 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage agrees with you, Thorin would never have given up that easy at the door. Listen to this BBC Radio 1 interview at approx. 3.55.

http://soundcloud.com/...rd-armitage-on-1xtra

(This post was edited by TwirlingThorin on Dec 11 2013, 4:04am)

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 4:00am

Post #7 of 12 (506 views)
Shortcut
Map [In reply to] Can't Post

When he hands it over that also explains how come its on Bilbo's kitchen table in fotr.

Anyone else notice the massive statue of the Master?

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 11 2013, 9:26am

Post #8 of 12 (363 views)
Shortcut
I agree on most points [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I actually liked the way Sauron was revealed and how he appeared in the movie as something almost but still not quite embodied. You could see the outline of him and yet there was no real physical being,

On Tauriel I wholeheartedly agree. Tauriel, if contained in Mirkwood, would have been fine, and the small way she and Kili connected there might even have been touching if it hadn't been ruined by the arrow stuff and the epicly cringeworthy healing scene later. Compared to Gimli's love for Galadriel, it all plays out like a bad joke.

Also agree on the finale being drawn out. If that had been cut shorter and everything involving Legolas and Tauriel beyond Mirkwood left out entirely while giving more time for Beorn, the movie would have been close to perfection and probably one of my favourites. As it is, based on my first viewing it's probably my least favourite of all the M-E movies, but maybe I'll be able to enjoy the next vieweing more when I know where the bothersome parts will be.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 11 2013, 10:02am

Post #9 of 12 (327 views)
Shortcut
Thorin turning his back on Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not the same thing, but I'll tell you it reminded me of the "Go home, Sam" which I know many fans have a problem with (not me though) because it was so out of character for Thorin to just give up like that.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2013, 12:39pm

Post #10 of 12 (255 views)
Shortcut
4 and 5 are my biggest dislikes with this film [In reply to] Can't Post

Having only watched it once makes it hard for me to say what I liked and not, but I remember thinking all the way before the spiders that "this is going too fast..."
I really hope the majority of scenes in the EE is put before the spiders, with small character-moments during the rest of the film
And I would rather having the dwarves sit down in despair or something, like the Fellowship before the gate of Moria, instead of just leaving... But I rationalize it with thinking that they just walked down to think and maybe find another way in because they were too late Smile

Your other points I didn't find that jarring Wink
Some CGI looked strange, but bad CGI rarely irritates me that much, if the film itself is good!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 2:48pm

Post #11 of 12 (191 views)
Shortcut
Depressed Thorin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe the weight of the whole quest (like him leaving 4 of his Dwarves behind) is taking a toll on him? Thorin seems to be very emotional, so it could be just him facing frustration. I mean he had his whole plan on opening up this secret door- he did not have a Plan B yet. Can't blame the guy for being frustrated.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2013, 2:58pm

Post #12 of 12 (184 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so *spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is mad beyond the point of return... I don't think the intro will focus on him in that way

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.