The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
'Shadowfax'

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 7:01am

Post #1 of 14 (552 views)
Shortcut
'Shadowfax' Can't Post

I was just looking around on YouTube and discovered, to my dismay, that Domero had died some time ago. Apologies if this has already been discussed. If I remember rightly, Domero was the principal 'Shadowfax', and in the majority of scenes, with Blanco generally in close-ups or used as a backup.
Does anyone know what happened to Domero? :(
Also, is there an update on how Uraeus is doing since he nearly died of colic a while ago?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 7:17am

Post #2 of 14 (415 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, the poor fellow [In reply to] Can't Post

He was the last of the Mearas. And he was such a sweet horse, especially when he runs up to Gandalf the first time and nods his head when Gandalf says "Shadowfax". I loved him from that first time itself, he seemed so, intelligent.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 9:11am

Post #3 of 14 (404 views)
Shortcut
That horse was Blanco. [In reply to] Can't Post

Demero, the other white Andalusian, was mostly used in the galloping scenes.

Whew, that was fun.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 9:12am

Post #4 of 14 (426 views)
Shortcut
Demero died in 2003 of a malignancy on his stomach. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a rundown on all the horses, with some of their subsequent history.

Whew, that was fun.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 17 2008, 10:12am

Post #5 of 14 (390 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I'd seen it before but totally forgot about it. You're a peach :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 12:47pm

Post #6 of 14 (386 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so nice to read about these animals that were as much part of LOTR as were the actors and actresses we've all grown to love Smile

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2008, 3:23pm

Post #7 of 14 (396 views)
Shortcut
I seem to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

from the extra "Home of the Horse Lords" that Orlando called his horse by name -- Percy (in the bit where he kisses his horse's nose). Does that mean that Percy played both Arod *and* Snowmane?

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 17 2008, 4:49pm

Post #8 of 14 (382 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

Looked through some photos from the movies; the two horses look rather alike, though it is difficult to decide with so much leather around the head and without having pictures from the side to compare. And the list in the link said both are part Percherons; I don't know about NZ, but here this race is rather rare.

Of course, it could be simply a mistake and they confused the real names of Snowmane and Arod.
Now you have given me another detail to watch out for during the next viewing Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 14 (388 views)
Shortcut
Orlando's horse [In reply to] Can't Post

was called Percy; Bernard's was Hercules. Both are Percheron, and they do look very similar. Percheron crosses are quite common in NZ, particularly among station-bred horses.
I am glad you raised that question, as it prompted me to go back and watch the 'Home of the Horselords' doco on the ROTK EE - well worth a revisit. It also include the nice story about how Jane Abbot came to be in possession of Florian.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 14 (386 views)
Shortcut
Links [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Elizabeth for that great link.
Here is another one: www.moviehorsesnz.com
(Sorry, I am not sure how to add it so that you can directly access it)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 18 2008, 4:31am

Post #11 of 14 (366 views)
Shortcut
How to do links [In reply to] Can't Post

See this post & thread.

Whew, that was fun.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2008, 5:09am

Post #12 of 14 (358 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

As a newbie, I would like to say how impressed I am with the wealth of information available on these boards. Many people have clearly done a huge amount of work and it is wonderful to be able to access the results. Not only that, you are very helpful people! :D

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Jan 21 2008, 1:01pm

Post #13 of 14 (351 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elizabeth for [In reply to] Can't Post

the link, I have not seen this one before. It is really a shame gray horses get melanoma/cancers so often as my dream horse has been a white Andalusian ever since I saw Robert Vavra's Equus book. My vet told me she would never have a gray horse and the words always haunt me. It seems white coats/hair can be a problem in multiple species.

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

(This post was edited by Shadowfaxfan on Jan 21 2008, 1:04pm)

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Jan 13 2011, 5:47pm

Post #14 of 14 (322 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere where Percy (Arod) is now - at some stable on NZ and people there seem to believe he was Snowmane, but it's clearly Arod.
Because 1. Orlando says on the horselords on the EE that his horse was called Percy, then Bernhard's is called Hercules. Kinda annoyed me lol

It's so sad that Domero died. Such a stunning animal! He'll be immortal in the trilogy though. Blanco is still a star though lol.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.