The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Complete DOS Soundtrack available for streaming at Spotify

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 1:22pm

Post #1 of 21 (647 views)
Shortcut
Complete DOS Soundtrack available for streaming at Spotify Can't Post

I'm not sure wether this is yesterdays news or not (everything seems to be moving so fast these days), but anyhow... it just came to my attention that the DOS soundtrack now is available for streaming in its entirety at Spotify. Enjoy!

Howard Shore – The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Elvanui
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 21 (399 views)
Shortcut
Not in the UK yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

alas Frown

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

thursday_next
The Shire

Dec 10 2013, 4:12pm

Post #3 of 21 (379 views)
Shortcut
In The UK [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been listening to it since 2, and again last night. And I'm in Folkestone. Try again through the Howard Shore page.

Wink

'But ere long it escaped our skill, and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way'

Elvanui
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 21 (355 views)
Shortcut
Dang it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been listening to the itunes 1 minute clips all afternoon!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 6:22pm

Post #5 of 21 (333 views)
Shortcut
Listening to the CD now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow...that Smaug theme! Shocked It's insane. Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 8:06pm

Post #6 of 21 (307 views)
Shortcut
The 'Kingsfoil' theme is destined to play over a very sad moment in TABA methinks... [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds sad enough in DoS and that's before anything truly devastating happens!

Also, 1:57 into that track I hear a theme I recognise from LOTR but I can't place who it's connected to, or what. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 8:15pm

Post #7 of 21 (303 views)
Shortcut
Kingsfoil 1:57 (possible spoilers if you've been under a rock) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, 1:57 into that track I hear a theme I recognise from LOTR but I can't place who it's connected to, or what. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

I know what you mean and I noticed it too. I think it plays over a "Hobbity" moment in RotK, but I can't remember exactly where (the idea I had posted here before the edit was wrong).

And I agree that we've got a sad version of (what I am almost certain is) the "Tauriel and Kili" theme featured here coming next year.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Dec 10 2013, 8:26pm)

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 8:35pm

Post #8 of 21 (279 views)
Shortcut
Spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

It's from Arwen's appearance in the Trollshaws, heard again after the Ringwraiths have been sent swimming. Presumably here it relates to some medical work carried out by Tauriel.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 8:48pm

Post #9 of 21 (267 views)
Shortcut
That's correct [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I was sort of on the right track with my (deleted) guess that it played when Frodo woke up in the Houses of Healing.

I feel like it occurs somewhere else too on the same woodwind instrument that is used in Kingsfoil, but I haven't been able to locate that, so maybe I'm imagining things.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Dec 10 2013, 8:51pm)

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 8:49pm

Post #10 of 21 (272 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to go on the record here, and [In reply to] Can't Post

be so presumptuous as to make an "improvement" to one lyric of Ed Sheeran's song.

The third and fourth lines of the song are as follows:

"And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
keep watching over Durin's sons."

Surely it would be better, both thematically and lyrically (rhyme-wise), to replace "sons" with "folk", thusly:

"And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
keep watching over Durin's folk."

This struck me one of the first times I listened to the song, especially as the previous two lines rhyme "below" and "souls".

Just an opinion, I don't mean Sheeran any offense. Smile

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.

(This post was edited by TheFlayedMan on Dec 10 2013, 8:51pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 8:51pm

Post #11 of 21 (252 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

That drives me nuts every time I hear it.

Especially since the phrase "Durin's folk" is used both in the film and in Tolkien (and as the title for one of the other tracks, for crying out loud).

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Dec 10 2013, 8:52pm)

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 8:57pm

Post #12 of 21 (242 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you agree with me. As soon as the song was first revealed - and before the lyrics were recorded anywhere - I whipped out my guitar straight away and began figuring it out. I actually changed that line when I was writing the lyrics out by ear Tongue

It really bothers me that he used "sons" instead of "folk" for no discernible reason, when "folk" makes a lot more sense in the context of the song and overall story!

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 9:00pm

Post #13 of 21 (239 views)
Shortcut
Out of interest [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you know what makes more sense, prior to seeing the film?

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 9:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (240 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the melody appears once more to accompany Arwen gatecrashing Aragorn's coronation. I can't bring the exact type of orchestration to mind - my memory for these things seems to be going nowadays...

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 9:05pm

Post #15 of 21 (238 views)
Shortcut
Voice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocal.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 9:07pm

Post #16 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
I've always* thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when listening to the song that the suitability of "folk" in that line was such a no brainer that its avoidance must be an entirely deliberate and knowing gesture. For some reason which I haven't quite been able to work out.

*I say "always". I mean "both times I listened to the song".

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 9:09pm

Post #17 of 21 (229 views)
Shortcut
Because, [In reply to] Can't Post

this transcends the film, it's just common sense in the context of Erebor, dwarven lineage, and Tolkien's world in general.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 9:14pm

Post #18 of 21 (222 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, of course. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 9:17pm

Post #19 of 21 (228 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm not sure I follow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I presume the song overlays the scene of Smaug flying off to Laketown and to Fili and Kili, his heirs. I also presume that Bard, as our other disenfranchised king, is set up in contrast to Thorin and is highlighted as a father for reasons of comparison. So I guess there will be something of an emotional threat to "sons" of various types as the song plays (even leaving aside Legolas) and the implications of the decisions their fathers have taken.

But I must confess that they are only thoughts. I won't know any more until I see the film - and lack the common sense to be sure that "sons" is the wrong choice as a prima facie conclusion.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 9:24pm

Post #20 of 21 (213 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the song won't be heard over the actual film; just the credits. (Not that that makes your point any less valid.)

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 9:31pm

Post #21 of 21 (208 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - poor choice of word on my part. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to suggest that the film ends, and as the audience mentally re-focuses towards Laketown and those in danger there, and the song plays over that thought process.

But who knows - it could play out very differently. Only those who have seen it are in a position to say.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.