Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 6:28am

Post #1 of 47 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Reviwes and Reactions Part 13 Can't Post

RT score 77% with an average 7.4 score.

https://docs.google.com/...RGmgEMvUCzL3Qis/edit

(Thanks to IncredibleSmaug... and others?)

http://www.imdb.com/...ard/thread/223074670

(Not completely up to date anymore)

Really negative from the NY Post in store...

http://nypost.com/...hise-stretched-thin/

If you enjoyed the first 15 episodes, get ready to spend more quality time with a gang of smelly little dwarves, nauseating trolls and warped hairy ogres. But enough about the crowd lining up for the first midnight screenings Thursday evening.

In three hours, you could miss eight or nine increasingly anxious texts from your girlfriend (not that anyone going to a “Hobbit” movie has one of those).

At one point in “Smaug,” when the hobbit and the dwarves are high on some kind of spidery forest ganja (they act like they’ve been J.R.R. tokin’), they completely lose focus on everything that’s been happening so far.
“We’ve been going in circles!” someone cries.
Yeah. We noticed.

CrazyCrazyCrazy

Review or attempt at satire? Wink

Margs Meanderings - 9.5
http://margsmeanderi...ation-of-smaug/

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 10 2013, 6:40am)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 6:39am

Post #2 of 47 (1499 views)
Shortcut
....... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how liking Middle Earth and it's movies is equivalent to not being able to get a girlfriend! Coming from someone that only says whether or not they like a certain movie for a living is a tad ridiculous.....

demnation
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 6:47am

Post #3 of 47 (1480 views)
Shortcut
That NY Post Review is extremely mean spirited [In reply to] Can't Post

and very hard to take seriously. Look, I am open to criticism. Of Tolkien, of Jackson, the stories or characters or whatever. But when it is done in such an underhanded and juvenile way, then it completely undermines the persons argument. My general rule about reviews is that the writing should be at a college level. You should be able to express yourself in a mature and adult manner. This person would be laughed out of a 3rd grade class room. Of course, I generally find the NY Post of being unworthy of being used even as toilet paper, so maybe my biased opinion doesn't count for much.

Hello!

(This post was edited by demnation on Dec 10 2013, 6:49am)

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 6:47am

Post #4 of 47 (1468 views)
Shortcut
The only explanation for that review... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he's honestly just trying to be funny. Otherwise, it's incredibly rude and insulting. Not sure what the guy was thinking, tbh. That's brutal.

Anduinel
The Shire

Dec 10 2013, 6:49am

Post #5 of 47 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Cave Troll Critic [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a cheap shot from someone who:

1) Didn't get the memo that nerd/geek culture is pretty much mainstream these days. Fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes....it's all part of the common conversation and brings in big bucks.

and

2) Has no clue as to how many female fans are in love with Middle Earth.

Not an opinion I'm going to trust overmuch.

(This post was edited by Anduinel on Dec 10 2013, 6:50am)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 6:49am

Post #6 of 47 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he is even right in my case... no girlfriend but a boyfriend. In his world I am probably supposed to run through the night on a unicorn waving a rainbow flag EvilWink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 6:55am

Post #7 of 47 (1388 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's a person's job to review films and/or they put in enough of their time toward writing them, there should be a quality of writing toward which these critics aim. Or at least one we deserve to read. Snarky, sarcastic, wanna-be-funny reviews are very hard to take seriously. A good review doesn't depend on its positivity or negative feedback; it's about the rhetoric and the writing. They are few and far between. I don't consider little one-paragraph critiques to be real reviews either.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 6:55am

Post #8 of 47 (1476 views)
Shortcut
I did some numbers on the NY Post review [In reply to] Can't Post

Total word count: 1078
Word count having to do with DoS: 306 (28%)
Word count whose only purpose is to insult: 512 (47%)

Keep in mind that I tried to be generous on what was considered as having to do with DoS, and tried to be very strict on what was purely insulting (as opposed to actual criticism of the movie, PJ's directing, etc)

I know I should just ignore that review, but I couldn't resist a good laugh through quantifying just how awful the review was.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

demnation
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 6:59am

Post #9 of 47 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

Take the indiewire review, probably the most negative so far. I was able to weigh and consider what that person said simply because he was able to write like an adult.

Hello!

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 7:06am

Post #10 of 47 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does he even review these movies if he seems to hate everything about Middle Earth? Shouldn´t the people reviewing epic fantasy movies at least like the genre?

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 7:14am

Post #11 of 47 (1334 views)
Shortcut
To some extent, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I would not even WANT to review a western, for example, because I just don't like western films. A well-made western is still not going to make me enjoy it, so I know that my review would never be fair.

Fili
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 7:23am

Post #12 of 47 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

This reviewer's finger isn't on the pulse. It's been inserted into a darker, smellier place...

A troll cave!

What did you THINK I was going to say?

Darn perverts on these forums, I tell ya...

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

demnation
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 7:29am

Post #13 of 47 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, Maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the mark of a good reviewer is somebody who can analyze a film in a thoughtful and objective manner, regardless of their feelings on whatever genre the film happens to be in. The next step, of course, is transferring those thoughts into words people might actually want to read.

Hello!

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 7:50am

Post #14 of 47 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are some types of films/novels/music that each of us just don't care for, and this it would be very unfair for us to review. I could never review a rap album.

(This post was edited by starlesswinter on Dec 10 2013, 7:51am)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 8:49am

Post #15 of 47 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Positive from Switzerland [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.molodezhnaja.ch/hobbit2.htm

He likes the believable world, the dragon, Tauriel and a lot of the action.

Also complains about the stretched out ending, some obvious CGI, Bilbo not at the center of the story, some OTT action and the generic soundtrack.

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 9:27am

Post #16 of 47 (1173 views)
Shortcut
soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

Generic soundtrack?! The new soundtrack is gorgeous! So many new, wonderful themes!

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 9:44am

Post #17 of 47 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Honestly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... without the movie context listening to it as a symphony it is imho gorgeous but clearly the weakest of all Middle-earth soundtracks so far, despite moments of sheer epicness with Smug, Laketown and Woodland Realm themes.

But that is complaining on a very high level and compared to other movies I wouldn't it call it generic either. Just not as outstanding imho.

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 10 2013, 9:57am

Post #18 of 47 (1178 views)
Shortcut
positive video review from a RT critic [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...ature=youtu.be&a

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:55am

Post #19 of 47 (1078 views)
Shortcut
crowd reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

Two friends of mine got into the screening in Berlin yesterday.

They liked it a lot and were very surprised by several things, as they had been practically unspoiled.

However, they reported that a lot of people seemed to react almost aggressively to the ending. They also agreed that the Smaug climax is simply too long and at some point you don't think anymore that is actually meant to be the climax... But then the movie is over.

It wasn't a major thing for both of them, one even saying ot is one of the better cliffhangers in cinema history.

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:59am

Post #20 of 47 (1059 views)
Shortcut
I think DOS will have one of the greatest collective audience groans [In reply to] Can't Post

If the rest of the movie is really as good as most critics say.

Nonetheless, I am prepared.

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 11:03am

Post #21 of 47 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just downright petty and insulting. Unfortunately, I don't think it's satire, as the NY Post has been known to come down hard on Game of Thrones in particular in the past for no discernible reason (at least, I think it was them, tell me if I'm wrong).

It's all about creating controversy and getting clicks, I'm afraid!

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.

(This post was edited by TheFlayedMan on Dec 10 2013, 11:05am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 11:04am

Post #22 of 47 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to be one of the most frustrating cliffhangers in recent cinema history. Cool

chris10112
Bree

Dec 10 2013, 12:06pm

Post #23 of 47 (950 views)
Shortcut
For those who can be bothered... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the NY Post review is probably worth sending a complaint in about it. That people like that are being paid to write is staggering.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 12:11pm

Post #24 of 47 (896 views)
Shortcut
No - that's exactly what the reviewer wants... [In reply to] Can't Post

He want a bunch of angry Tolkien fans to write in and complain to him, because he thinks it will reinforce his "point". Don't give him the satisfaction or the attention.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 10 2013, 12:14pm)

chris10112
Bree

Dec 10 2013, 12:27pm

Post #25 of 47 (859 views)
Shortcut
He wants hits, and would probably enjoy some angry letters to himself [In reply to] Can't Post

At no point did I suggest sending him a complaint. What's the point? He'll have an editor though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.