The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn himself (Mikael Persbrandt) at the Hobbit premiere in Berlin

DuBekar
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 12:20am

Post #1 of 4 (690 views)
Shortcut
Beorn himself (Mikael Persbrandt) at the Hobbit premiere in Berlin Can't Post

Here is a quick interview with Mikael Persbrandt from the premiere in Berlin, although it is completly in Swedish!

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/...film/article27720.ab
He gets very very happy when he see the Lego character of Beorn and says "When will it be out? I will buy this for my little boys" :)

And here is the first "Real" Interview with him in on the same newspaper (Everything is translated from Google translate)

On the Hobbit filming went Mikael Persbrandt in the finest film construction he had seen.
Beorns house. His house.
But he did not shoot there.
- I was never in the fine construction, says Mikael Persbrandt. I was in a green-painted room with a small cardboard table and cameras around. Alone with the earpiece.

In the second Hobbit film gets Bilbo and audiences meet Beorn . A creature that is sometimes human, sometimes bear. A heavy role of Mikael Persbrandt in one of the world 's biggest movie series.
Beorns house was built in Paradise, New Zealand. The lavish stage construction was filmed dwarves and Bilbo . While Mikael Persbrandt filmed simultaneously - 200 meters away. A smaller version , with green background. Opponents , he did not .
In the scene Beorn invites guests to dinner. Serves bread and honey and pour milk.
- There were many new experiences, says Mikael Persbrandt . When they filmed the dwarves and Gandalf sat and looked like Lilliputians . They look at a ball high on a microphone and plays against it.
The ball is Beorn . Then , the camera is pointed at him.
- Then it was a nearly empty room with green walls . A small table with a mouse and thirteen tennis balls and a handball. Handball was Gandalf .
" McKellen is magnetic "
Tennis balls were often Pers Brandt's opponents. When he had scenes beside the other , he was watching them in the stomach.
- It is distressing hard not to look into that wonderful Ian McKellen's eyes when playing against him. I watched that on your third shirt button , but Ian is so magnetic to the eye is drawn upwards .
Were you happy when you got the role of Peter Jackson?
- Yes, of course I was . That was it, " Hamilton" the same week. Peter Jackson and the others are so generous. They called and wished a Merry Christmas , even for small roles like this one. Everything was welcoming, midagar with the whole gang. They are comfortable and cute , makes it feel like a little family movie though it is the world's largest.
A man of peace / bear
He was to shape the look of Beorn , try the front hair, facial features and clothing.
- He's a vegan mother that way. A man of peace who want to live undisturbed and carries a great sadness , the last of his race , is with his animals and his honing , bakes bread. I can think about all those sides of Beorn . A pretty nice dude .
Is it true that you were inside of the wolves at Kolmarden in preparation ?
- I was with my family at Kolmarden , but not in preparation for the film. I sat in the midst of wolves and I pressed his nose against the alfahannens nos . There is a stunning image that Sanna took.
He was sure that he could fend off the wolf.
- I have such a page , maybe it was foolish, says Mikael Persbrandt . I sat in the middle of the pack did . "I strangle him if he mucks ," I thought . I have lived with big dogs . Spent time with the big beasts of my life. Sit down and fold not of his eyes . Keep an eye on his ears and mouth corners .
Did you read Tolkien as a young man ?
- Yes, I was a huge fan . At that time I was dressed in black , known today as the well- goth in miltärkängor and big black coat and small notepad . I read Sartre , Andre Gide , French existentialists . And "The Lord of the Rings" . I ran into bookshops and found first editions of it, and " The Hobbit " that I probably have left in one box. I was completely - enthusiastic about the fairy world.
- I will try to introduce my children to the books when they are the right age .
"Felt silly "
How long did the makeup , the transformation to Beorn ?
- In the beginning, five or six hours, I went up three , four in the night. Set to nine , nine thirty and then waited to be called in front of the camera. Sometimes I had to wait for 17 in the trailer . Then they came : Not today Michael. Every evening two -hour avsmink .
He was seven times in New Zealand. The days were devoted to work or waiting.
- I practiced a lot. Sprang . Drove mountain biking. Went to a Chinese person in the evenings and ate . We went out and ate some last night, but they did not spend so much. The filming is up at half past three and finished at 19. You work when you're there .
Did you feel silly sometimes when you were dressed ?
- Yes , very silly . What should you do about it ? You just have to bite the bullet .
Hesitant to costume
Many of the film has wigs and new body parts.
- Yes, we laughed at it when we had lunch . One saw jävligare out than the other. It was quite jealous of the Elves who just got to be fancy . A half hour queue makeup and two ears got them.
Mikael Persbrandt like actress face to face. False teeth and a lot of other things can prevent you reaching out .
- I 'm hesitant to do more costumed roles that way. A few cattle I do not think it gets for me.

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 10 2013, 3:42pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 12:34am

Post #2 of 4 (340 views)
Shortcut
Great – thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope we hear much more from him, in English, and that he has a good large chunk of a role in the films.

daemoon
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 12:37am

Post #3 of 4 (331 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Great interview, too bad Beorn will have such a "small role" in DoS. I'm lookign forward for him in the EE.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 10 2013, 12:57am

Post #4 of 4 (317 views)
Shortcut
WayCool...couldn't talk about the Bo5A, though!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.