The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
NEW very informative interview with Peter Jackson

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 9 2013, 10:08pm

Post #1 of 22 (1981 views)
Shortcut
NEW very informative interview with Peter Jackson Can't Post

Stefan Servos, host of http:///www.herr-der-ringe-film.de uploaded his interview with director Peter Jackson from yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcG2GeCAqLA

Smile The actually interview is in english by the way...

(This post was edited by Fleuz on Dec 9 2013, 10:09pm)

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 9 2013, 10:20pm

Post #2 of 22 (863 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked hearing some of this directly from PJ.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 10:22pm

Post #3 of 22 (925 views)
Shortcut
The interviewer really asked some good questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

tarasaurus
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 10:33pm

Post #4 of 22 (852 views)
Shortcut
Great questions [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm happy the interviewer let PJ speak as much as he wanted without interrupting him. It irks me when interviewers do that.

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 11:03pm

Post #5 of 22 (726 views)
Shortcut
Nice interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The actual interview is in english by the way...

And very good it is, too! Thanks for sharing Smile

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

vinsanity
The Shire

Dec 9 2013, 11:23pm

Post #6 of 22 (657 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least we have a little confirmation that Laketown is almost a design made by Guillermo del Toro that PJ maintained or made very small changes on it

(This post was edited by vinsanity on Dec 9 2013, 11:24pm)

Eldy
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 12:00am

Post #7 of 22 (693 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what some people thought of PJ's answer to the first question [In reply to] Can't Post

[R]ather than adapting just The Hobbit as the 1936 [sic] novel, we would be taking the Appendices and notes that Tolkien wrote much later on where he was connecting The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and to treat these as three movies that are basically going to lead into the three Lord of the Rings films. Because that was really the point, that's what I am doing and that's the reason why I'm doing it really, is to [make a series that is] six movies that have an overriding sort of an arc.

Sounds like the sort of thing the purists have been saying for years, and now PJ himself endorses it. Wink

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Dec 10 2013, 12:02am)

duats
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2013, 12:20am

Post #8 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted The Hobbit to be The Hobbit.

And I'm about as purist as they come.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 12:39am

Post #9 of 22 (536 views)
Shortcut
HMMMM.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But he says himself that it was a challenge, since the Hobbit is a very different book compared to the LOTR-trilogy. And I am glad he is trying to make them more like ONE universe (even if it ends up not being entirely Tolkiens) and I will watch these films in the future and be thankful that they tie together nicely.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 12:40am

Post #10 of 22 (525 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad [In reply to] Can't Post

He views that way because it's how I view The Books and The Movies. For me it's all one giant arc.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 12:42am

Post #11 of 22 (524 views)
Shortcut
Great interview [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the first time I've seen anyone from the cast/crew address the thematic individuality of each film. The first is simply a quest about regaining home; the second is the irruption of possessiveness; and the third is the aftermath of that very greed. If that is indeed how it plays out, it should be a very satisfying arc.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 10 2013, 1:03am

Post #12 of 22 (529 views)
Shortcut
Soo Nice, since when TABA ends [In reply to] Can't Post

We All will probably suffer some
Withdrawl...

But then Dive into FOTR
TTT, & ROTK
to look for PJ's Bridge references..

What a great thing
PJ&Co are doing.

Couldn't be Happier

Bomby

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 1:27am

Post #13 of 22 (458 views)
Shortcut
Lots of gems in this interview - thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Dec 10 2013, 1:27am)

Silmaril
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 8:18am

Post #14 of 22 (319 views)
Shortcut
great, interesting and relaxed interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

like it a lot!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 12:24pm

Post #15 of 22 (268 views)
Shortcut
I like it as the six movies, one story Sir PJ describes, [In reply to] Can't Post

as it is also how it feels for me personally:
I started as a young adult reading LOTR first, then the SIL, then at last TH... which, I must admit, I never liked as much as the two others, finding it too childish in style and a bit boring for the adult I was - except for some passages here and there, mostly towards the end, which I found truly beautiful and inspiring.
So not only I don't have cherished memories of TH as a kid, but I put it aside, not really interested in it, after reading it just once. And I was never taken by the Dwarve, to start with, so...!
Even the perspective of the film getting made didn't enthuse me fully, it's mostly when it became clear PJ himself would do it that I started looking forward to it - but still with no enthusiasm for the Dwarves.
Only when the first Trailer came out, with that beautiful, thrilling song started first by Thorin and then gradually the others, joining in, then I was caught!!! From that fated moment I turned into the feverish fan of the Hobbit movies I still am. But it is totally thanks to the choices made by PJ, spoken out in the quote you nicely put up in your post, that I am such a fan and await each new film with passionate expectation. I am so glad everything JRRT has written about it is taken in and gives that story what is for me its true dimension, the dimension I think Tolkien himself wanted to give to it in his later years: on par with LOTR, with only that "younger" atmosphere in it... I love it!!! Thanks, PJ...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Eldy
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 3:59pm

Post #16 of 22 (241 views)
Shortcut
You have every right to prefer the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but there is no indication that Tolkien wanted to change The Hobbit in ways similar to those that PJ has. That perspective was introduced by PJ and Co., and they have (intentionally or otherwise) consistently misrepresented the publication history of both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in support of this claim.

I am so glad everything JRRT has written about it is taken in and gives that story what is for me its true dimension, the dimension I think Tolkien himself wanted to give to it in his later years: on par with LOTR, with only that "younger" atmosphere in it... I love it!!! Thanks, PJ...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Dec 10 2013, 3:59pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 6:09am

Post #17 of 22 (195 views)
Shortcut
I remember somewhere in his biography [In reply to] Can't Post

it was said that he regretted the too childish tone and the childish ways to address children when you read a book to them, that he felt guilty of having used like most adults stupidly do. And he had all this extra material that he wrote later on in various Appendices etc, about the fuller story of the Quest for Erebor, he had the intention of putting it all together as a kind of more complete re-write of 'The Hobbit', but, as for 'The Silmarillion, he was getting too old and never got the energy back to actually do it. At least that's the impression I got from everything I remember reading.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2013, 6:12am

Post #18 of 22 (210 views)
Shortcut
Quite illuminating indeed, [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for putting it in writing.

Eldy
Gondor

Dec 11 2013, 4:45pm

Post #19 of 22 (178 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien had his regrets about The Hobbit later in life, but he was a notorious perfectionist and had regrets about lots of things in his writing. He did briefly try to rewrite The Hobbit in a more adult tone, but he very quickly abandoned this project after receiving negative feedback. Keep in mind that Tolkien was never the sort of person to let negative feedback stop him if he was set on writing something a certain way. Wink When Tolkien returned to The Hobbit yet again several years after this, for the Third Edition of 1966-67, he left tbhe book much the same as it was.

As for the Appendices, those have nothing to do with any of his efforts at rewriting The Hobbit. The total amount of material in the Appendices that relates to the story of The Hobbit is about one or two pages total out of more than a hundred.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Dec 11 2013, 4:46pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 1:58pm

Post #20 of 22 (166 views)
Shortcut
One or two pages?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

You must be unaware of "The Quest for Erebor" towards the end of the 'Unfinished Tales". But even just in the Appendix A to "The Lord of the Rings", in the Part III titled "Durin's Folk", there is already much more than two pages that can be used as valid background material about the Dwarves, and about the White Council sessions leading to the attack of Dol Guldur. The whole larger picture is important for properly appraising Bilbo's own adventure with Thorin's Company. The importance of getting rid of Smaug,not just for Thorin & Co or the people of Lake-Town, but for the safety of Middle-earth as a whole, must be grasped for a full understanding of what was at stake. I really enjoy having all those quite significant additions in the movies as compared to the little book - I mean, those additions which are based on JRRT's own writings, plus those additions that are plausible given the known context that must be shown necessarily in more detail on screen than in a book,

Eldy
Gondor

Dec 12 2013, 4:14pm

Post #21 of 22 (157 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

You must be unaware that "The Quest of Erebor" is off-limits to the filmmakers, since they do not have the rights to adapt anything from Unfinished Tales. And while Appendix A.III had quite a bit of information that could be used in the backstory of the Dwarves, it's just that: backstory. It's not part of the main plot. It could be (and was, sort of) used to create the prologue, but the section of Appendix A.III that covered the time period of The Hobbit is in fact, only a few pages long.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 1:45pm

Post #22 of 22 (145 views)
Shortcut
You are right of course on exactly what you say; but [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so glad that, be it from the allowed sources or indirectly also from the known contents of the non-allowed ones, the full scope and vastness of Middle-earth and Arda as a whole have been injected into the story to give it the completeness it deserves to be on par with "The Lord of the Rings" which follows it. This is all I am trying to say here, and I appreciate your point of view too, so I suggest we can now stop this little discussion, with my thanks.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.