Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Any crafty Ringers here?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:22pm

Post #1 of 45 (279 views)
Shortcut
Any crafty Ringers here? Can't Post

And by "crafty" I mean those who like doing crafts like knitting, crochet, sewing, weaving, jewelry making, etc.

I've been killing time waiting for the official release of DOS by knitting! You know how cold theaters can be sometimes? I've knit myself a pair of wristers (a.k.a. fingerless gloves) that I can wear in the theater to keep my hands warm while watching the movie and because they're fingerless, I can still eat my snacks! It wasn't a specifically Hobbit themed pattern but it reminds me of TH because the dwarves wear fingerless gloves and I went with a nice natural dark green yarn thinking it might fit with how the Wood Elves of Mirkwood wear green and brown. I also think the design on them looks a little Middle Earth-y. Just so y'all know, the pattern I used was a free pattern from Red Heart Yarn called "Cabled Wristers" Here's a pic:

So, is anyone else making something in anticipation of DOS?
Feel free to share what you are doing! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 6:42pm

Post #2 of 45 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'm packaging up a few little JRRT crafty items at this moment! // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 6:42pm

Post #3 of 45 (166 views)
Shortcut
I'm strongly tempted... [In reply to] Can't Post

to cast aside all my current knitting plans (after finishing my stranded gloves very soon) and start this scarf instead, with some modifications. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 45 (158 views)
Shortcut
Oh those are so nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you use a pattern or did you just figure them out? I used to do a basic knit stitch--then I forgot how to do it. I was rather unpleased with myself to say the least. I'd love to make myself some gloves like those! They're so cool! Great work. I'm not doing anything for the premiere, no--maybe I should figure out something. Make a Hobbit scarf perhaps. ;D Do you have any ideas? Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:52pm

Post #5 of 45 (151 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh! I love that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I consider myself an "intermediate" knitter, but I don't think I'm quite good enough at color-work to do something like that yet. If it was crochet, I could probably do it as I'm better at crochet color-work.

That's still an awesome scarf though, and if you're brave enough to take it on, I say "Go for it!"Smile

I just had a thought: maybe I should try my hand at designing and design a crochet Hobbit scarf! Yes, I think I might try that and see what happens!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 7:07pm

Post #6 of 45 (152 views)
Shortcut
I really want to make Ori's hooded scarf [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that hooded scarf Ori wears. I'd love to make one, but I keep putting it off.

First though, I have baby hats to knit for x-mas. There are three new babies in my circle of friends this year. It will give me a good excuse to use up some of my stash!

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 7:24pm

Post #7 of 45 (151 views)
Shortcut
It was a pattern + Hobbit scarf ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could design my own stuff, but I'm not there quite yet. The pattern was a free pattern from Red Heart Yarns called "Cabled Wristers" In fact here's the link: http://www.redheart.com/...erns/cabled-wristers Red Heart has all sorts of free patterns so feel free to check it out!Smile

If you're really looking to start knitting again, and I strongly encourage you to try because I love knitting and it's very rewardingHeart there are all sorts of online lessons, both paid and free that may help you refresh your memory. Craftsy is an excellent site that has all sorts of online classes about knitting, but you do have to pay for them. http://www.craftsy.com/classes/knitting
If you don't want to pay for lessons, I've heard that lots of people just go on Youtube, type "learn to knit" and you'll have plenty of free options. http://www.youtube.com/...arn+to+knit&sm=1 Good luck!Wink

Hmmm, a Hobbit scarf? Hobbits are simple creatures, so I would go with something simple like a plain garter stitch scarf. (Garter stitch = knit every row) Tolkien says Hobbits like bright colors but are particular to yellow and green so you could either make the whole scarf in yellow or green or combine the two. Maybe a yellow scarf with green ends or vice versa? Or you could make stripes by alternating yellow and green. You can make it as long or short and as narrow or wide as you want it! It's all up to you! I would suggest using either a medium sized or bulky yarn and check the yarn label to see what knitting needle size it says is optimal for that type of yarn and then go for it!

Hope that helps!Smile

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 45 (147 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I still haven't knit mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I, uh, haven't even spun all the yarn for it yet. *head-droop*
I keep getting distracted by shiny things.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 10:18pm

Post #9 of 45 (148 views)
Shortcut
Jealous, but [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for putting up the free pattern!, I headed straight for the website and downloaded. I'm probably an advanced beginner level crochet/knitter but my mother is an expert knitter, so this looks like a great project for me to learn to do my first cabling and I can get some help. Ever since I fell in love w. the dwarves vambraces I've also fallen in love with fingerless gloves. So THANK YOU for putting up the pattern - but I know I won't have these done for Thursday/Friday ):

I'm a craftsperson/do-it-yourselfer but have so many projects just sitting - crochet, knit, bead stringer, make stuff - actually killed time this summer by making up my own posters, and I'll be at it again. The crafty part of that I guess comes from the framing part - trying to cut foam core without cutting myself - and/or recoloring/restaining frames I get from the thrift store. I buy old pictures for the (real) wood frames and glass, usually trash whatever horrible print is in the frame, and re-use. I just got this Hobbit wall decal (http://www.amazon.com/...ds=Hobbit+wall+decal) which I liked because of its simplicity, and I have this long frame I got that has an old building schematic - going to turn all this into some sort of collage display, maybe print out the Erebor map large-scale as a background.....maybe include the NZ stamps and some smaller images - haven't worked it all out yet in my head. Come to think of it, this decal could be nicely translated to cross-stitch.......also, I bought extra Empire magazines - may the Valar forgive me, I am going to cut them so I can mount the Thorin and Bilbo covers side-by-side (or something like that).

Personally, while having the exact replicas of stuff on screen is nice, for everyday I think stuff like these fingerless gloves don't have to be exact - after all, nothing we see on screen like Bofur's scarf was "special screen accurate" until the movie, and if these gloves were in the movie all of a sudden they'd be special, too. These fingerless gloves are perfect, remind me of Oin's gloves. And the cabling reminds me of the "Hobbit door" pendants I've seen on Etsy - they are also calling them fairy doors, but look like Hobbit doors to me. Think these would be awesome in a marled yarn of some kind. Thank you again for putting up this post! The green you chose is beautiful - reminds me of the Shire!

OK - so now I have another project to do (: Think in time I'll probably do some jewelry as well, to celebrate my beloved dwarves (and hobbit) - maybe even bite the bullet and get the $$$ Orcrist pendant to incorporate from WETA. Probably something with a lot of silver and charms. But for now I am "doing wall stuff" as I just like having the "guys" around, but I'm not always so happy w. what WB puts out for PR, or I need a certain size of print.

(Don't know about everyone else, but I embargoed myself from interviews, spoilers, etc. - I've done OK but last night one of those fast DOS TV ads pops up w. some review comments....aggggggh!!! and a few fast images I'd never seen - nearly fainted, LOL. The wait, for me, has turned hellish - but don't want to ruin things for myself, so just have to go watch the trailers again.....maybe go frame something.......visit the Peckish Owl......)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 10:50pm

Post #10 of 45 (140 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree with you there -- [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, while having the exact replicas of stuff on screen is nice, for everyday I think stuff like these fingerless gloves don't have to be exact - after all, nothing we see on screen like Bofur's scarf was "special screen accurate" until the movie, and if these gloves were in the movie all of a sudden they'd be special, too.

There is no way I'd buy the official Stansborough kit for Bofur's scarf or fingerless gloves. Neither one is special enough for me to justify the expense of those knit kits. Shocked

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 11:11pm

Post #11 of 45 (135 views)
Shortcut
You're very welcome! :) Just so you know, there is one little mistake in the pattern they didn't fix [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you like the original pattern as well as my version of them!

That mistake I was talking about is actually more of an oversight on the pattern writers' part, but it's very easy to fix. You will notice the pattern says that all you have to do is follow the pattern twice and you will get two gloves, but the way they have written it, you will end up with two left-hand gloves if you do that without changing anything for the second glove. The way to fix this is to simply follow the pattern as written for the first glove, but when you get to the second glove follow the pattern until you get to the part that says "Next Row: (Wrong Side): Set up pattern as follows: P17, K3, P8, K3, P3." This is where you need to change the pattern so you will get a right hand glove instead of another left hand glove. Change that row to "P3, K3, P8, K3, P17". After that you can follow the pattern as written and everything will be fine! Smile You will have one glove for each hand!

Also, as a side note, the pattern says that you should repeat the 1x1 rib until the bottom cuff is 6" but I shortened it to 3" because I thought they would be too long otherwise. Of course, when you make them you can decide what length will be comfortable for you.Cool

As for your feelings about the wait for the movie, I feel the exact same way. I'll be seeing it on the 15th and even though that's only six days away and I already have my tickets in my hot little hand, I don't know if I can stand waiting that long! Every advertisement makes me excited and frustrated at the same time! I'm so super duper excited, I really don't know what to do other than explode, but if I explode I won't be around to see the movie, LOL! Wink

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 11:13pm

Post #12 of 45 (131 views)
Shortcut
Here yah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was tempted myself by the scarf and glove kits.....but, realistically, for me, knowing I can get beautiful hand-dyed wool of all kinds in the U.S. - it would have been nice to have the "real thing" but I just couldn't do it, myself.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 11:35pm

Post #13 of 45 (133 views)
Shortcut
Posting the correction was great - you rock!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe my mother would have caught that, but I probably just would have happily started and not even noticed! So many thanks for taking the time to do the corrections! I'm a good basic knitter - better with crocheting - but sometimes things just NEED to be knit, to get the right effect. I am going to make these, just wish I would have them for the film - but if you hadn't posted I never would have seen this pattern. I'm already fantasizing the colors - maybe a mix of earthy tones like Radagast would wear.

PS. Well, I did cheat, and watched (and re-watched) the barrels clip and the Thorin/Thranduil clip and the Legolas/Tauriel clip. As a mad Hobbit movie fan I decided I was entitled.....I'm not sorry and kind of knew what would happen w. those, but no more - that's why I kind of freaked over the TV spot which was mercifully short. Perhaps the TORn mods could start a "DOS Deprivation Survivor Thread", and we crafty Ringers could make T-shirts - LOL, I survived "blanK" number of days without watching the DOS B-roll footage! I've got my ticket too (IMAX!) - and may the time until DOS pass swiftly for us all - because this is maddening (:

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 12:27am

Post #14 of 45 (120 views)
Shortcut
Lol! That would be awesome!// [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps the TORn mods could start a "DOS Deprivation Survivor Thread", and we crafty Ringers could make T-shirts - LOL, I survived "blanK" number of days without watching the DOS B-roll footage! I've got my ticket too (IMAX!) - and may the time until DOS pass swiftly for us all - because this is maddening (:

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 12:41am

Post #15 of 45 (123 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome. Thanks for the link! And I thought about the different colors I could use for a scarf, and then thought about alternating the colors--then I worried that I'd look like a weird Harry Potter fan at The Hobbit. I would be so ashamed. (Not that I'm blasting Harry fans, just I want to honor HOBBIT fandom in this, of course)!

Thanks so much for the info! Now I'm excited. Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 1:43am

Post #16 of 45 (121 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! Good luck with the scarf! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're excited and I hope your scarf turns out great! Have fun with it!Cool

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 2:43am

Post #17 of 45 (116 views)
Shortcut
The scarf pattern doesnr even have the yellow [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not quite screen accurate....

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 10 2013, 9:29am

Post #18 of 45 (126 views)
Shortcut
Does that include cross-stitch? [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently finished this one for Rosie-with-the-ribbons

And now I'm working on this one for myself Smile It's done on black fabric so all the white areas will actually be black.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2013, 12:02pm

Post #19 of 45 (106 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am impressed with the level of detail you've done!

Rose will be thrilled! Are you going to frame this first?

What color threads are you using for the quad picture?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 10 2013, 12:04pm

Post #20 of 45 (108 views)
Shortcut
That is awesome!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 10 2013, 12:34pm

Post #21 of 45 (99 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

as it's traveling to The Netherlands, I sent it unframed.

The other one is done in all the sepia tones shown. I'm expecting that one to take around 6 months to complete as it's 30cm x 50cm in size on 18 count aida fabric.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 2:55pm

Post #22 of 45 (98 views)
Shortcut
Of course it includes cross-stitch :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cross-stitch, embroidery, jewelry making, knitting, crochet, sewing, even crafts that involve glue guns; anything that one could consider a craft is welcome in this thread! Angelic

Btw: that is a very impressive cross-stitch! The detail is breath-taking! I'm sure the others will be incredible tooSmile

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 3:01pm

Post #23 of 45 (94 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magnificent work (that Thorin image was one I surrounded with all the other dwarves and printed on cotton paper for a poster - some of my favorite images). And doing the 4 characters in sepia and black - it will be gorgeous - hope you will post a picture when done, if you can.

Bet it's the "crafty Ringers" who are some of the same fans who really appreciate PJ's attention to detail in Bag End (and I guess Laketown, but haven't seen DOS yet). What I wouldn't give to take a tour with the costume and set designers and just wander about, (reverently) feeling the fabrics and leatherwork and embroidery and carvings.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 3:05pm

Post #24 of 45 (93 views)
Shortcut
Not SA? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL, as tho craftspeople wouldn't notice details like that! We're detail-oriented! And they should at least make a kit like that screen accurate.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 3:33pm

Post #25 of 45 (92 views)
Shortcut
I know I do [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bet it's the "crafty Ringers" who are some of the same fans who really appreciate PJ's attention to detail in Bag End (and I guess Laketown, but haven't seen DOS yet). What I wouldn't give to take a tour with the costume and set designers and just wander about, (reverently) feeling the fabrics and leatherwork and embroidery and carvings.

I love the parts of the production blogs and DVD extras for both LotR and TH that talk about set design and costume design. It really fascinates me!

I especially love that one Vlog where the head costume designer is talking about designing Bilbo's house coat that he wears in Bag End and mentions that one fabric option she was given was this horrid yellow fabric with large, bright orange circles all over it. She says in this dead-serious tone, something like, "That fabric would have been like hitting the audience in the face with stones, so I avoided it like the plague!" That always makes me ROTFL! Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.