The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Heart is Broken:
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 11 2013, 6:47am

Post #176 of 178 (313 views)
Shortcut
He may have hyperbolized, but there is truth in his words. Anyone who loves certain facets of the work to the point [In reply to] Can't Post

that they want the world to see what they already know, is bound to be disheartened when those things are greatly altered or left out of what is likely to be the definitive version of these adaptations into film for at least the next decade or two. We all know, for many fans, this will be the "true story," with all the false incidents and every diminished or dubiously altered scene being taken as the way it happened by them. That is going to vex people. I will never like it that hordes of viewers will never know there was such a being as Glorfindel, or that they will remain ignorant of the sorcerous might of The Balrog, or that some people will go forward believing that one of the Wizards had his staff broken by a Nazgul in a twleve second contest of will, or that the dwarf war against the orcs was purely a territorial dispute which Azog survived etc. etc. etc. Those are very real things. Some things, once seen, cannot be unseen. Is it the end of the world? No. But it isn't shocking that it upsets some of us.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Dec 11 2013, 1:02pm

Post #177 of 178 (303 views)
Shortcut
I still disagree and here is why...? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot who will read the books and some that never will. I agree some will only see the films but and here is the important thing and it's logic is irrefutable. Those that don't read the books, probably don't want to read the books, so they are not missing out on anything. However if the movies make kids want to pick up the books and read them then they will get Tolkien's story as he wrote it. It is no coincidence that The Hobbit sits near the top of the best sellers list at the time of the films. You know one of the absolute joys of seeing this in action was after Fellowship came out. I was browsing the fantasy section of my local high street bookshop and 6 school children, all boys raced into the shop and bought the books. I overheard one of them say "I can't wait another year to find out, I've got to have it now." Now there are two things to deduce from this. Because of the films, there are more copies of the books so all 6 could buy it. Second, the story grabbed them and they wanted to read the books. Doesn't that fill you with joy? It did me, after being ostracised for being the kid carting a very battered copy of LOTR around in my school bag in the 80's it was now cool to like it. For me seeing kids run into a bookshop and buy the books makes me happy. I don't work. The school anymore but I do know that in the school library there will be a big map of Middle-Earth and a drawings of dragons and hobbits and Elves and probably Spiders adorning it like they did for Narnia and Twilight and LOTR. I also nnow that my friend who owns a bookshop near the school has ordered a number of Hobbit novels and he expects to sell them. Guess who to? School children. That is why the OP is being overly concerned and he needn't be. The books will be read, probably more than if the films did not come out and that can only be a good thing.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 3:21am

Post #178 of 178 (296 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Smile

A very small part of me can relate to where you're coming from. Like you, a very LARGE part of me has my own vision of Tolkien's books and what they mean to me in my head and heart - along with what *I* think Tolkien was getting at. I was actually stunned after my first time seeing FOTR in the theater because certain things were so different from my own vision, while other things were very much the same, if not downright better! It took me several times of watching it to love it.

At the same time, through posting and moderating here, I became aware of how diverse opinions are among people who love Tolkien. People who love him no less than I or many others across our globe. I finally realized that there was absolutely NO adaptation of the movies that would satisfy everyone. One person's heartbreak is another person's favorite part. Is either one right or wrong? I've learned that the answer to that is: no. The hard thing sometimes is realizing that my own feelings (likes and dislikes) are also not right or wrong, they're only one interpretation and - lo and behold - PJs movies are exactly that - one interpretation.

If I made a movie that I thought was true to Tolkein, thousands of people would protest and some would even be heartbroken. If you made a move that you thought was true to Tolkien, you would, in turn, break the hearts of thousands of people.

The wonderful constant in all of this is that the books remain, and the movies are drawing thousands (if not millions) of people to read the books and love them. And, I guarantee, if any one of those people, who find and love Tolkien through watching the movies or not, make their own movie some day - it will break thousands of other hearts.

{{{Kangie}}}

Just... yes. Smile

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.