Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Heart is Broken:
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 178 (2822 views)
Shortcut
My Heart is Broken: Can't Post

A generation of children will grow up believing that the Hobbit trilogy of films represents Tolkienís work. My advice to Peter Jackson and Company is this: Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.
I am certain that the three movies will make a lot of money and many people will enjoy them a lot but they could have been just as much fun and perhaps even better movies if they stayed closer to their literary roots. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 5:28pm

Post #2 of 178 (1336 views)
Shortcut
The book [In reply to] Can't Post

Children will grow up reading the book. They will also see the movies. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. Most of us here have had both. It doesn't ruin
Tolkien for me, and the movies did not ruin it for my kids, who are now grown, but whom also have both read the books and seen the movies.

The movies are an adaptation. It's Jackson's vision. We can either like it or not (and there are some things I don't like to be sure) but in the end, it doesn't ruin Tolkien for me nor does it ruin it for kids that read the books.

The books are the books, the movies are the movies. That's my take anyway.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 178 (1247 views)
Shortcut
fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

i grew up with ralph bakshis production, i managed to survive.and still read the book.

adaptations come and go , the books will remain. people arnt stupid.

you are repeating yourself.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 178 (1216 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry you feel that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think Tolkien is that easily undermined.

I for sure cannot wait to read the Hobbit to my future kids.

Long before they will be old enough to watch the movies (that I am so glad include more than the novel).

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

daemoon
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 5:38pm

Post #5 of 178 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I may not like some of PJ's deviations, but if a new generation of children discover Tolkien's books and the joy of reading because of his movies I'm totally fine with it.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2013, 5:39pm

Post #6 of 178 (1222 views)
Shortcut
I have a more positive spin [In reply to] Can't Post

A generation of children will grow up to be inspired to read the originals, and will then go on to read The Silmarillion, LOTR and all Tolkien's other writings. Not to mention the richness of other fantasy writing out there, both that which is written and that which is yet to be written.

Others may get inspired to join the movie business - acting, like Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, or creating magical effects, or writing beautiful music, or following PJ and becoming a successful director.

And the rest will just have a good time at the movies, hopefully, and what's wrong with that? The book will always remain what it was when it was first published. If I have any, my children will grow up reading my battered copy with my name in pencil in the front which I was given aged eight. It's 25 years old this year, that copy, and it will always be one of my most treasured possessions. These films will never change that.

Storm clouds

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 178 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Wise words. ;) [no text] [In reply to] Can't Post

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 178 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Sorry you feel that way [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's very in the spirit of Tolkien. Films will always differ from books, but at least these films are much more like the books than most films I have seen. Good thing that the books are not being re-written though, and will be around forever and ever.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 5:48pm

Post #9 of 178 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Au contraire. [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the thousands and thousands of children that will grow up discovering Tolkien *because of* Jackson's trilogy? Think how many people wouldn't be here on the forum if it hadn't been because of the film. Surely that outweighs those that only accept the films as the definitive version?

The one benefit of these films is how they introduce so many people to Tolkien's world that may never have known it otherwise. Whether the films are any good or not doesn't really matter - at least they get people interested and talking about Tolkien. Everyone knows you can get limited enjoyment from the films, but the books hold a whole universe to discover. No-one is ever done learning about Tolkien and Middle-earth.

And the films are as good a start as any other.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 9 2013, 5:48pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 5:50pm

Post #10 of 178 (1199 views)
Shortcut
My heart is broken, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so much for the children, but for me, because chances are I will never get to see a proper film adaptation of Tolkien now. And that makes me sad.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 5:51pm

Post #11 of 178 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Everybody is clairvoyant it seems [In reply to] Can't Post

The books will fly off the shelves. People will read them and continue to read them but the films will increase their exposure and that can only be a good thing.
Perhaps seeing the films and judging for yourself instead of taking what other's have said who also haven't seen the films would be a more prudent approach.
You might still hate the film, but at least you'll know why.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 178 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but they're gonna be in for quite a shock [In reply to] Can't Post

when the read The Hobbit after seeing the movies...

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 178 (1083 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

All book-to-movie adaptations digress from the original text. I never pick up a book thinking it is going to be like the film, or vice versa.

They'll just love the books even more.

Eadignes
The Shire

Dec 9 2013, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 178 (1049 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry you feel that way [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be seeing the movie very soon and will enjoy it!
But i enjoy the book much more and continue to long after i have stopped watching the movies.
But kangi i hope you will not get to sad and not post anymore to these forums.
I enjoy reading your posts, sometimes i agree sometimes i do not.
But what can not be in doubt is your love for tolkien.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 9 2013, 6:03pm

Post #15 of 178 (1060 views)
Shortcut
It depends on the shock though... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some may think they ve messed up the movie in comparison with the book but definitely,some others may think that the book is so poorly developed compared to the movies.One thing is certain though,book adaptations or the books themselves will never satisfy everyone!

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 6:06pm

Post #16 of 178 (1051 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

The book itself is still untouched. Everyone knows movies are different from their book form. Don't have to watch the movie if you want the book form (which is not without its flaws).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:06pm

Post #17 of 178 (1074 views)
Shortcut
And what about all the pre-teen girls? [In reply to] Can't Post

won't they be heartbroken when there's no Kili/Tauriel/Legolas romance in the book?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 9 2013, 6:08pm

Post #18 of 178 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the reason that by then,almost everyone knows, or will know by a single click searching, that Tauriel is an invention for the movies only

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 9 2013, 6:09pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 6:09pm

Post #19 of 178 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Not true [In reply to] Can't Post

I can be perfectly satisfied with both book adaptations into film, and the books themselves. I simply view them separately and enjoy both. Personally, I would not have been at all interested in a straight adaptation from Tolkien's The Hobbit into film. It would have been far too superficial and childish to me Ė truly a film only for children.

In Reply To
Some may think they ve messed up the movie in comparison with the book but definitely,some others may think that the book is so poorly developed compared to the movies.One thing is certain though,book adaptations or the books themselves will never satisfy everyone!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:10pm

Post #20 of 178 (1018 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how true that is [In reply to] Can't Post

when it comes to kids.

In Reply To
The book itself is still untouched. Everyone knows movies are different from their book form.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 9 2013, 6:16pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 6:11pm

Post #21 of 178 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Much worrying about nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

We have the books and the movies. Kids going forward will have the chance to see and love both if they so choose. They may like so many of us learn to love both and enjoy both. I don't really subscribe to pity party of everything is now ruined and we'll never get good Tolkien adaptation.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 6:12pm

Post #22 of 178 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Give them some credit. [In reply to] Can't Post

They won't break into manic hysteria. Anyone seeing the films will know Tauriel is an invention. Many of my friends and family who have never read the book know that they have deliberately put Galadriel and Tauriel in the films. The general audience, pre-teen girls and film-fisters aren't daft.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 9 2013, 6:12pm

Post #23 of 178 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Just like the original trilogy before it, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the films will, if anything, serve as a gateway to Tolkien's work. Why do some individuals on this board have to make it books vs. films? Are they not perfectly capable of co-existence, just like the original trilogy co-exists with the books on which it is based?

Regarding a "proper" Tolkien adaptation...few adaptations follow the source material slavishly. Kubrick's The Shining deviates from Stephen King's text pretty strongly, for instance. You know what other notable books in the genre had some slavish adaptations? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and its sequel. Their inability to take sufficient dramatic license and instead follow the book almost exactly to the letter made them suffer as films. And that's what PJ's trilogy ultimately is: a series of films.

Honestly, even with the deviations, these films are pretty faithful to the book for a major film adaptation. Probably one of the more faithful ones, actually.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 9 2013, 6:14pm)

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 6:13pm

Post #24 of 178 (993 views)
Shortcut
Has anybody read...? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Godfather by Mario Puzzo? It's a terrible book, really badly written and structured. Read it and was really let down. However the film is a masterpiece.
Just putting that out there.

Most kids who have seen either AUJ or The LOTR trilogy will already have read The Hobbit. It's a big seller in that demographic.
Makes me laugh how everybody is so melodramatic over a movie they are yet to see.

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 9 2013, 6:14pm

Post #25 of 178 (996 views)
Shortcut
Completely disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The LotR films brought me TO to the books, and many of my friends as well. The Hobbit will have no different effect.

PJ even said he drops hints in the movies to encourage people to go check out the full works in the books.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.