Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Oh, the weather outside is frightful!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2013, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 26 (230 views)
Shortcut
Oh, the weather outside is frightful!! Can't Post

In Southern New Jersey, we have 3 or so inches of snow, and it is piling up. We seem to be the last in this country, to be hit by the snow and ice. They say 8pm rain, but it got here 3 hours early. We shall see..... Oh I wish I could stay by the fire!!!

Who else has some white weather?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2013, 7:06pm

Post #2 of 26 (153 views)
Shortcut
We are in Chicago [In reply to] Can't Post

We missed the storm that you're getting now, but we've had about an inch of snow in the last hour and it's still coming down. We're not supposed to get a lot, and it's supposed to get REALLY cold Monday - highs in the teens Fahrenheit (minus 8 C).

Once it gets that cold, we generally don't get snow, but what we have will stick around for a few days.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2013, 7:25pm

Post #3 of 26 (156 views)
Shortcut
We (Twin Cities) got about 6 inches mid-week [In reply to] Can't Post

and then the temps plunged to below zero. It didn't get above zero yesterday but today we've climbed to 10!

It is snowing lightly again, however. I need to go out soon so I don't know bad the roads will be. The cold temps means salt won't work on the roads and they were still slippery and wash-boardy in spots when I went out on Friday. When the temps are really cold, the exhaust from cars freezes into 'black ice' (which is mostly invisible) on the roadways esp at stop signs/lights and on freeway ramps.

It is a hard thing to be tired of winter by Dec 8 because we could have winter well into April here. One has to pace oneself on these matters.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Misto
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 8:24pm

Post #4 of 26 (139 views)
Shortcut
Hardly any snow [In reply to] Can't Post

just enough to make the road icy, actually, but the storm season is well under way. Although we got the better part of it at the Baltic Sea. The "big, bad storm" (according to the media, anywayTongue) turned out to be not half as bad as announced. Kept me grounded for two days, nevertheless *sigh*

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 8 2013, 9:09pm

Post #5 of 26 (136 views)
Shortcut
And in Texas, the sun is out! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which normally wouldn't be news, except this afternoon the sun came out and the temperature rose above freezing for the first time since the wee hours of Thursday morning---several hours before the ice storm hit.

My husband and I just spent two hours scraping ice off the driveway so we might be able to get out tomorrow, assuming the local authorities have lifted their "For the love of Eru, if you don't have to go out, don't go out!" admonition. I feel so sorry for the people stranded at the airport!

We don't usually have such low temperatures and ice in December---they're much more likely to occur in January or even early February (remember Super Bowl 2011?). So we're wondering what's going to hit us then, if it's this bad now.

At least it's supposed to be fairly warm this Friday, when we head out to see DoS. Smile

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2013, 11:18pm

Post #6 of 26 (131 views)
Shortcut
Nothing yet in Massachusetts, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's supposed to start around midnight. No worries for me; I have nowhere to go.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 12:32am

Post #7 of 26 (119 views)
Shortcut
Not so much "white weather". More like frozen solid and shiny. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's about a quarter-inch of ice on my porch right now and the trees and grass are all coated with it too, but no snow. Hopefully the sun will come out from behind the clouds in the morning and everything will be all shiny and sparkly!Cool It will be slippery to take my dog out, but at least I can marvel at how pretty everything looks as I'm lying on the ground after sliding my way down the length of the sidewalk!Wink

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 1:03am

Post #8 of 26 (125 views)
Shortcut
Not to make anyone jealous [In reply to] Can't Post

but it has been in the mid eighties all week at my house in Florida.Wink I am ready to move north and finally meet some reasonable December weather! I can't even think about getting ready for the holidays now - you need to have a fan or air conditioning on inside the house and sweat buckets if you go outside. I am a snowbird at heart and enjoy getting a little frost during the winter.

Faithful servant, yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

(This post was edited by Lightfoot on Dec 9 2013, 1:07am)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2013, 1:07am

Post #9 of 26 (122 views)
Shortcut
can you all [In reply to] Can't Post

send some snow our way? Unsure

I live in the Idaho panhandle in the US, and there's a very light dusting of snow on parts of the grass, but it's FREAKING cold!

We went caroling in 3 degrees F (-16 C) temperature last night at a Christmas party for my mother in law's medical practice, and we were only out there half the time than usual because we all got too cold! It dropped to -5 F (-20 C) last night....

If it's going to be this stinking cold, the least we could have is some snow to make it worth it! Though I am grateful for the clear roads....Smile

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 1:08am

Post #10 of 26 (118 views)
Shortcut
Only an inch here in eastern Kansas [In reply to] Can't Post

Just barely enough to turn everything white. It brought plenty of cold with it, though. Brrr.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 5:12am

Post #11 of 26 (106 views)
Shortcut
same out here on the Washington coast [In reply to] Can't Post

unusually cold for us - hasn't been above freezing for the past week, around 20 at night. Had a tiny skiff of snow a few days ago but it's been a really dry summer and fall. The skiers are still waiting . . .

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2013, 5:15am

Post #12 of 26 (104 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could go skiing, but we don't have a lot of babysitters for my girls, and my husband is at 6 days a week at work til Christmas, so I guess its somewhat of a good thing in an odd way....

But I would still like to see some snow. Its supposed to snow tomorrow so hopefully it will Smile

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 7:18am

Post #13 of 26 (108 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I like the sun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much of a snow person myself, so I've been enjoying the sunshine despite the cold. Was at our town's tree lighting festival last night, and for once, there was no fog/drizzle/rain and no wind, so we could enjoy it despite the cold. Not looking forward to the oncoming clouds. Unimpressed

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 9:30am

Post #14 of 26 (98 views)
Shortcut
We've had a little of everything! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had ice, snow, ice, snow, sun, ice, snow, rain. It is above freezing right now and I hope that will continue through this morning so we can go out and stock up on groceries.

The main thing is that Friday is supposed to be sunny!! Since the theater we go to is 40 miles away (they closed our county's only first run theater this year), we would prefer to drive in sunlight, not snow or ice.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 9 2013, 11:02am

Post #15 of 26 (105 views)
Shortcut
Ice, freezing rain & snow here in [In reply to] Can't Post

Annapolis, MD. Schools are starting two hours late as of 6:00 am. I'm off today but have to take my granddaughter to the dentist & my dad to the doctor. Hopefully I can get all of that done. Then it's back to work tomorrow.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2013, 12:28pm

Post #16 of 26 (92 views)
Shortcut
There's a layer of crispy snow here [In reply to] Can't Post

along L.I. Sound, and we're all on school delay as well. So I'm heading off to work an hour later than usual, but hopefully that's given the maintenance crews enough time to sand the roads.

Watch out for any ice patches!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 4:59pm

Post #17 of 26 (88 views)
Shortcut
Look what the ice storm did to my poor tree [In reply to] Can't Post

This happened overnight. The top of the tree just snapped off. I guess the ice was just too heavy for it although I thought it was a healthy tree. I think the picture makes it look smaller than it really is but it's a pretty large chunk o' tree in reality. Yeah, that's going to be fun to cut up and move!Unimpressed

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2013, 5:12pm

Post #18 of 26 (85 views)
Shortcut
You were most fortunate [In reply to] Can't Post

that it fell away from the house, instead of on or near it! Shocked The poor tree is going to look a bit strange until it can get something sprouting there again.

We have friends who use wood stoves, so whenever one of our tall trees breaks or splinters, we invite them over to "help themselves"! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 5:36pm

Post #19 of 26 (87 views)
Shortcut
And *this* is why I'd rather have 2 feet of snow than 2 inches of ice [In reply to] Can't Post

http://965kvki.com/...cars-in-plano-texas/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:08pm

Post #20 of 26 (78 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I widh that I'd taken a pic of the tree that just missed my father's truck. [In reply to] Can't Post

40ft length with a 3 foot cross section. Fell overnight and missed the left mirror by inches!! 800+ lbs we reckoned. Yeah....it was a company car, so we missed that bullet. Whew!! It took a week to get rid of the thing, in our spare time. Filled up the chipper truck that took it away.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 6:29pm

Post #21 of 26 (74 views)
Shortcut
I'm done with winter already! [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not done with me. About 5 inches of snow coated with ice here, with another 3 to 6 inches expected tomorrow morning, and I'm already sore from shoveling the driveway and cleaning off cars. I've got stuff to do, and no time for all this white cr@p!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 6:42pm

Post #22 of 26 (70 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm very relieved [In reply to] Can't Post

that it didn't hit the house. Sadly I don't know anyone who needs wood so I may be making a few phone calls to see if there are any paid services who can take it, or if all else fails, my mom and I will put on our lumberjack hats, cut it into smaller pieces and move those pieces out into the woods where they won't be in the way. With the number of trees on my property, it's not the first time we've had to do something like that. Thankfully, in the 16 going on 17 years I've lived in this house, a branch only damaged the roof once and that was in 1998 or '99. Hopefully never again because it was a big, fat, pain in the neck.

Well, at least the birds and squirrels are happy! They seem to think it's awesome that there's a new place for them to sit in the yard while they eat the seeds we put out for them!Cool

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 5:47pm

Post #23 of 26 (61 views)
Shortcut
I hate the ice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I came to work today at my normal time of 7:00 am and it hadn't really started snowing much. I'm a bit worried about the ride home because it's been snowing and freezing rain all day. And tomorrow morning it'll probably be ice because it's going to freeze tonight. I won't go in if I'm too scared to drive.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2013, 6:08pm

Post #24 of 26 (57 views)
Shortcut
They cancelled schools in the state today. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm at home (the superintendent called me because he wanted the year-round staff to stay home - normally we still go in). And a good thing, the snow started coming down by 9:30 here, and it was a slick, slushy mess by noon. There's been lots of minor accidents and a highway closure. We're expected to get 2-4 inches, which is quite manageable on the driveway, but the iciness under foot is bad.

I hope you have a safe trip home!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 6:21pm

Post #25 of 26 (55 views)
Shortcut
Cancelled here too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the Revenge of the Snow!!!

4 more inches!! Just hoping it clears up for Friday!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.