Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
That sounds like the Isle of the Gift

squire
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 3:10am

Views: 169
Shortcut
That sounds like the Isle of the Gift [In reply to] Can't Post

Tuor in his dreams has "...a vision of an isle, and in the midst of it was a steep mountain, and behind it the sun went down, and shadows sprang into the sky; but above it there shone a single dazzling star."

Sounds like Numenor to me. It's the only island with a mountain that I can remember in the Tolkien legends. The story is looking quite a lot further along than usual if my guess is right. Tuor's son will be Earendil, who will use the Silmaril to gain access and grace from the Valar. He himself will be translated into the heavens as a sign of the Valar's care for those in mortal lands. And when the Edain (Tuor's people, among others) are rewarded for their part in the wars against Morgoth, it will be the star of Earendil that will guide the ships of Men to the land of the gift, the island in mid-ocean that became Numenor.

So Tuor is given quite a bit of foresight here. I'm not sure how this particular dream informs his adventure of finding Gondolin. I'd guess it's just Tolkien amusing himself with being the Master of Fate for his story characters. In the same way he gave Frodo prophetic dreams in LotR that had nothing to do with the story at hand but gave it depth by tying the hobbit's adventure to the longer history of Middle-earth.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Subject User Time
Unfinished Tales discussion: The Wanderings of Tuor Part 3 demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 8 2013, 2:48pm
    Voronwe's Monologue? Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 8 2013, 7:12pm
        You're right about his characters being conversational demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 10 2013, 2:06am
    Work and exhaustion limit me tonight... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 9 2013, 2:28am
    That sounds like the Isle of the Gift squire Send a private message to squire Dec 9 2013, 3:10am
        That was my first thought demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 10 2013, 1:59am
            Mysterious, but not random squire Send a private message to squire Dec 10 2013, 5:36am
                Wonderful interpretation of the image Squire Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 10 2013, 9:04pm
    The wanderings of Tuor and ramblings of Voronwe (and me) CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 10 2013, 1:17am
        The dream and Fate demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 10 2013, 3:03am
        I love this! Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Dec 10 2013, 5:08am
        Tales of cousins... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 10 2013, 9:42pm
    Mistaken identity and other thoughts... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 10 2013, 6:16pm
        Actually that's a really good point Rem! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 10 2013, 9:26pm
        Ha! demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 10 2013, 11:39pm
            Nah....just some lighthearted fun!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 10 2013, 11:50pm
    Tuor and Voronwe Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 10 2013, 9:25pm
        Appreciate your thoughts, Brethil demnation Send a private message to demnation Dec 10 2013, 11:46pm
            Really geeky point about the lembas Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 11 2013, 2:46am
                Geeky and cheeky CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 11 2013, 12:10pm
                    LOL!! and lembas. Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 11 2013, 2:22pm
                    All possibilities (cheeky monkey) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 11 2013, 5:54pm
                        Not sure it's about being a Queen. FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Dec 14 2013, 2:22pm
                            All excellent points FFH - and you made me laugh with the last Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 14 2013, 6:04pm
    Late answers sador Send a private message to sador Dec 11 2013, 4:17pm
    A few answers Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Dec 12 2013, 4:57pm
        Doom and fate and Ulmo's Counsel Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 12 2013, 5:47pm
            Checkmate: Ulmo vs Mandos vs. Morgoth CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Dec 12 2013, 6:46pm
                Mandos=Status quo Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Dec 13 2013, 12:48am
                The Noldor strongholds and Ulmo's long term plan Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 13 2013, 12:49am
        This *is* a wonderful passage Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 13 2013, 1:29am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.