Storm Over Gondolin Fan Made Film Cancelled

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 8 2013, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 14 (565 views)
Shortcut
Storm Over Gondolin Fan Made Film Cancelled Can't Post

Dear fans,
We come to you today with some sad news. The Tolkien Estate, the legal body which manages the rights to Tolkien’s works, has asked us to immediately cease working on the movie Storm over Gondolin. Like you, we are extremely disappointed to have to stop the production of a movie inspired by Tolkien’s legendarium. However, the entire team is staying on board and we are more excited than ever by the opportunity to create a new world inspired by the ancient mythologies. Much of our work still stands, and we are therefore announcing the production of a new fantasy film where you will find elves and orcs in an original universe. Thank you for your support and your fidelity ; a new step in our journey is beginning, and it is for you that we are taking it!

https://www.facebook.com/...olin/475172875883950

The Tolkien estate have destroyed more dreams. As they sit in their mansion, on a pile of JRR Tolkien literature, sneering and growling at anyone who wants to try and use the material in non-profit fan-made films.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2013, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 14 (447 views)
Shortcut
uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien estate ... sit in their mansion ... sneering and growling

pics or it didn't happen.

I get you don't like what happened and/or the Tolkien Estate.

But the whole mansion and sneering and growling thing... that's just a low blow with no justification. Stay classy.

Anyone who begins work on anything connected to Tolkien w/o running it past the Tolkien Estate and/or the other numerous entities that might have a legal stake in material are flirting with disappointment, imo.

I support the Tolkien Estate in maintaining control over how Tolkien's work gets used and expressed to the extent they are legally entitled. I may or may not agree with them but by supporting their legal rights, we support that right to maintain creative and monetary control over our OWN intellectual property.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 8 2013, 5:08pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 8 2013, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 14 (458 views)
Shortcut
What I don't understand is why they threatened this film but not [In reply to] Can't Post

the other fan fiction films - The Hunt for Gollum, etc.

Or, if they did, they resisted somehow? Even if they would win it would entail legal costs to fight the Tolkien Estate.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 8 2013, 5:09pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 5:26pm

Post #4 of 14 (450 views)
Shortcut
Could that be [In reply to] Can't Post

to do with the fact that Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope are in territory where they have already sold film rights i.e. the people whose legal toes are being directly trodden on in those cases may not be the Tolkien Estate? I don't understand the legal situation well enough to pronounce on that, but it might make a difference. Is anyone here better versed in law (as opposed to lore) and able to make sense of it?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2013, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 14 (419 views)
Shortcut
That seems possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

It may be that the "injured parties" for those movies would be the current holders of the film rights, whereas this film is treading Silmarillion territory for which the rights are still very firmly in the hands of the Estate. They're not interested in selling the rights to the Sil, and I'm not very surprised that they wouldn't be happy about amateur productions treading that ground either, especially those which would have widespread distribution. In such a situation, I think the issue is probably deeper than whether the filmmakers are making a profit - it's that they're planning to distribute said film to a wide audience, which could reasonably be seen as damaging to the value of the Estate's holding, since it would be pre-empting any legal films.

Yes, it's frustrating for fans who want more of everything, but you can't just take someone else's property (intellectual or otherwise) and start handing it out for free to all and sundry just because you're frustrated that they haven't given it to you in the form you want already. Fandom does not equal ownership, no matter how close to the material we may feel.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 8 2013, 9:55pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2013, 10:54pm

Post #6 of 14 (395 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, it's frustrating for fans who want more of everything, but you can't just take someone else's property (intellectual or otherwise) and start handing it out for free to all and sundry just because you're frustrated that they haven't given it to you in the form you want already. Fandom does not equal ownership, no matter how close to the material we may feel.

I know fans get frustrated with the Tolkien estate for shutting down productions like Storm Over Gondolin and I'll admit I'm disappointed about it too. However, since the Tolkien estate still owns the rights to the material, then they have every right to do such things. Actually, the second I heard about SOG, I wondered if they had gotten permission from the Tolkien estate and fully expected that this might happen.

Personally, I look at it as a "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" situation. If I were to write a book someday (seriously, I fully intend to try) although I would be flattered that someone liked it that much, I would not be happy if I discovered that someone was planning to make a film about any part of it without my permission. For me, (and I imagine for the Tolkien estate too) it would have nothing whatsoever do to with greed even if the party involved was going to make money off the film. I would be much more upset about the fact that, after I had put so much time, effort, and love into creating a world and characters of my own, that someone else was just taking them and using them without my input or concern about how I would feel about what they were doing. If I don't want people using my original material without my permission, then I have to support the Tolkien estate in this situation because they are simply protecting what is theirs.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Dec 9 2013, 8:58am

Post #7 of 14 (352 views)
Shortcut
I'm no lawyer [In reply to] Can't Post

but this movie was not for money, so on and so forth so how can the production be halted. Is it the fact that previously identified fictional entities are being used?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Dec 9 2013, 9:15am

Post #8 of 14 (357 views)
Shortcut
The perfect response to accusations of financial greed against CT or the estate [In reply to] Can't Post

would have to be, why would such intelligent people not want to ecourage and exploit every money making possibility that could result due to the movies. It goes against basic economic sense. I am unsure of the movie rights situation but CT and the estate could easily benefit by piggybacking the success of them, so why try to hinder them if getting rich is the goal.

It is quite simply not their concern.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2013, 2:28pm

Post #9 of 14 (330 views)
Shortcut
It's not always about money // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 2:39pm

Post #10 of 14 (346 views)
Shortcut
No mansion, no sneering, no growling.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... simply a family protecting their father/grandfather's work as the law entitles them to do, according to their understanding of his wishes. If you, or any of us, had written a successful book, or play, or music, you would be very glad to enjoy the same legal protection.

Had their motive been money they could simply have demanded a large sum in exchange for the rights. But that really isn't the point. It's the work itself, and their unhappiness about the ways that work is already being exploited. And do bear in mind that from their point of view, once they allow one infringement of the rights they still hold to go ahead the floodgates are open.

It is disappointing, of course. It might have been a wonderful film. But the fault here lies with the people who decided to make a film of a copyright work without asking permission first.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 9 2013, 6:04pm

Post #11 of 14 (314 views)
Shortcut
Amen! *mods up*// [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 11 2013, 12:58am

Post #12 of 14 (290 views)
Shortcut
That is very disappointing news... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I wonder who would win in court had this request been challenged.

2. I suppose it would also be within the Tolkien Estate's legal rights to request any fan who posts original interpretive artwork of scenes from the Silmarillion to cease and desist.

3. There may also be more to the story (play on words unintentional). Perhaps the producers could not provide sufficient assurance that it would be not-for-profit or a thousand other possibilities....

4. Someday I hope to see an interpretation of the drowning of Numenor, of Luthien lulling Morgoth to sleep in the pits of Angband, of the clamor of the trumpets as the host of Fingolfin returned to Middle-earth,...

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 11 2013, 1:17am

Post #13 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
If anyone connected to the estate wants to do something in the area of film [In reply to] Can't Post

then I can see why they would want to stop other people from doing it first / as well.

There are other stories to tell.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2013, 10:26am

Post #14 of 14 (278 views)
Shortcut
Bummer :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they can try again later. But the Estate is vigilant!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
2nd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - Novembe 28, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.