Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Real Problem with the movie - What Tolkien would have wanted - but the fans don't care!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eadignes
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 11:37am

Post #26 of 44 (787 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Tolkien does not post on this forum [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Tolkien does not post on this forum and so cannot answer questions of his integrity.
He rarely does interviews so most of what is bandied around on this forum is hearsay or complete rubbish directed at a old english gentleman , who does not deserve to dragged around in the dirt.
His cynicism is his business and i or you do not really know what that is.
So if you feel ok to slander a ninety year old man who can not answer for himself then i pity you.
and i pity all on both sides of the argument find the need to drag a ninety year old man into this argument.
It is not like he is posting on twitter about his love or hate with which his fathers work is being used.
He out of anyone on this forum truly knows how his father would feel about middle earth!
He keeps being called names on this forum by people who should know better.
He as no connection to these movies , or wants to be connected in anyway, so why his is name still used in argument.
Leave the old man alone to live out his last days and give him some respect please!

Name
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 1:11pm

Post #27 of 44 (733 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

You say leave him alone, yet he certainly hasn't left WB or PJ alone in the last decade.
Honestly only one thing about CT bothers me, but it also allows us to criticize him. He claims he never once saw the PJ movies. This is supposed to show how against them he is. But it also shows how arrogant he is being. If he never saw the movies, how is he able to judge them himself, and honestly say they suck? I think CT has taken on the idea that JRRT's works are so outstanding that they never should be touched, just praised and worshipped, like the Bible, as some people have pointed out. To me, this all but destroys his credibility on the subject of film.

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 1:18pm

Post #28 of 44 (716 views)
Shortcut
Wait, What? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly certain that the answer to the question of whether or not Christopher Tolkien has seen the films is completely up in the air. We don't know for certain if he has seen them or not. Do you have a source that says for sure he hasn't seen the films?

Hello!

Eadignes
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 1:41pm

Post #29 of 44 (707 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

I say leave him alone not because he likes or dislikes the movies or if the fact he has seen them or not.
But because the guy is an old man and i was brought up to respect my elders even if i disagreed with them.
The point as been made many times about his dislike for the movies and the direction peter jackson as gone.
In my post i wrote that both sides should stop using a 90 year old man to prove or disprove a point.
If you feel you have to post on a forum about your feelings about a 90 year old man be my guest
And i do not think he personally is going after warner bros or peter jackson, that would be for the lawyers
My love of the books and the films will not be swayed either by christopher tolkien or peter jackson
I read or watch because i like to, i do not feel the need to be protective about either format, love and love i say.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2013, 2:19pm

Post #30 of 44 (683 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, the old C. Tolkien quote from 2009 - or was it 2008? [In reply to] Can't Post

Regarding the effect of LotR. I do believe this has been discussed a few times on these boards.

Smaug was greedy for gold. None of us who are involved in this site acquire any "gold" from it: our "pay" is the enjoyment of sharing our love of Tolkien and his works, and Peter Jackson et al and their interpretations, with like-minded souls. So kindly do not call us "greedy".

Just out of curiosity: you end with "*Tears up the Movie ticket and throws it into the Air*", implying you already bought a ticket, which means that you've already paid into the movie studio's coffers, which you are implying we should not do?

Also: these films were not made in Hollywood. You might want to check a globe for the location of New Zealand. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Fili
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 2:52pm

Post #31 of 44 (661 views)
Shortcut
I'll be up on the veranda... [In reply to] Can't Post

As clearly you are already up on the cross.

But yeah, the OP doesn't really merit a serious reply at all, just as the Men of Gondor deemed Sauron unworthy of a name.

And besides, I'm actually a medium who channels the spirit of J. R. R. Tolkien on a daily basis, and can tell you how he really feels. I projected his ghost last Thursday while we watched LOTR and AUJ extended editions, and caught him up on DOS buzz.

His conclusions? He said PJ has done a decent adaptation overall, and while there are some decisions he wouldn't have made, he acknowledged PJ is making this soup, not him.

Also, he really hopes when all films are made, there will be an ultimate edition made that finally shows shots of Liv Tyler and Evangeline Lily with their tops off.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Blustar
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 3:04pm

Post #32 of 44 (632 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

You are going to play the "age" card? His cynicism is well known and , in his mind, probably warranted. I get what CT is upset about, I just think it's short sighted.

It's unethical for Chris to think someone would or could know JRR Tolkien like he does. It's Jackson's adaptation or re-telling of Tolkien's tale. Chris wants to direct the damn movie or say what makes a good LOTR movie and what doesn't. What does Chris know of the very different and ( to my mind) inferior medium?If Chris wants to make a movie that is more faithful to JRR, then he needs to produce one and have total artistic control. I would love to see that movie!

But, to put unrealistic expectations on Jackson and company, really impossible expectations, is a lame move. JRRT sold the rights to the movie right? Then they lose any argument they might have on how it should be filmed.

They have the right to criticize but to denounce Jackson for not knowing JRRT as well as he does is unfair and unethical. It's a legal adaptation, with the rights properly obtained, they need to get over it,

How about this attitude from Chris if he would say something like this:

Although Mr. Jackson's films are very popular and well received, they do not accurately reflect the beauty and philosophical impact of JRRT's work. That being said, we appreciate the fact that many more people, who never would've even deigned to read LOTRs, will be introduced to JRRT's work and will be able to experience the full impact of JRRT's work.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 8 2013, 4:35pm)

talkingmongoose
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 3:09pm

Post #33 of 44 (622 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should all just read this and be done with it.

Thanks Fili, you made me laugh out loud in the middle of the library on a day where I have a very long essay due for tomorrow.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2013, 3:14pm

Post #34 of 44 (624 views)
Shortcut
Let's move on, everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Tolkien's views on the movies are not relevant, and it's pointless for anyone to attempt to explain his motivations.

Let's get back to anticipating the movie! Smile

bungobaggins
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 3:24pm

Post #35 of 44 (642 views)
Shortcut
It really breaks my heart to see people bad mouth Christopher Tolkien on this supposed Tolkien fan site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people can be so mean and disrespectful. Mad

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 8 2013, 3:33pm

Post #36 of 44 (641 views)
Shortcut
If some members of the Tolkien family want to turn away [In reply to] Can't Post

then that's fine. I can understand. But then I will go ahead and make that mental separation in my head.

I can understand the sentiments from the point of view of someone trying to put my own creative stuff together. I guess that this whole scenario serves as a warning that if you sell the rights to your work to someone then you might need to be prepared for it to go in directions you didn't intend. Hence I will be far more careful in my own choices for sharing creative ideas.

I wish that the situation were more amicable but I feel the best option in conflict sometimes is to allow that distance / separation to be there and leave it alone.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2013, 5:18pm

Post #37 of 44 (576 views)
Shortcut
I find this quite amusing, given the occupation you list in your proflie: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkiens worst nightmare

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 8 2013, 5:58pm

Post #38 of 44 (534 views)
Shortcut
Insults against CT have been edited out [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fine to disagree, but personal attacks and insults about anyone are against our ToS. It *is* mean-spirited and, from what I've seen, based more on speculation than facts, making it even worse, IMHO.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 8 2013, 6:38pm

Post #39 of 44 (515 views)
Shortcut
Pretty Passive/Agressive Attitude in [In reply to] Can't Post

Mentioning
you,
have written a BOOK?

"I'm NOT advertising my Book here
..I respect Toliken too Much?"
Really

Well, you succeeded in finding alot of people
who WON'T READ your Book.

TolkienReborn...Interesting Name
Do you have contact with JRRT
Nightly...
"You Silly goose".

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 6:46pm

Post #40 of 44 (482 views)
Shortcut
And here I thought some of my drunken posts were opinionated in bad taste [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 9 2013, 12:26am

Post #41 of 44 (389 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps The Zombie Tolkien? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2013, 3:58am

Post #42 of 44 (364 views)
Shortcut
Your attack on TORn is grossly offending. Oh, and as for what you said here: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien isn't getting anything and his family never wanted it made from the start go spit on Tolkien grave if you want.

I was --at-- Tolkien's grave in Oxford in July with my girlfriend, who I would never have met without TORn and our immense passion for the works of Tolkien.
At his grave we were both deeply moved, and I even shed a few tears. We could thank him for bringing us together. JRR Tolkien has brought me the greatest joy of my life, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Your thread title: "but the fans don't care!"

Oh I assure you, it is quite the opposite.

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Dec 9 2013, 4:05am)

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 9 2013, 4:12pm

Post #43 of 44 (279 views)
Shortcut
Also, a few insulting posts have been completely deleted. [In reply to] Can't Post

As they wouldn't have made sense after editing out the insults. Pretty sad. Crazy

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Dec 9 2013, 5:02pm

Post #44 of 44 (276 views)
Shortcut
"Tears up movie ticket..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh, they'd still have your money so it's an empty protest Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.