Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Reply~ =)

elentari3018
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 4:41am

Views: 126
Shortcut
Reply~ =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Today's image is Merry preparing to go to war. As always, feel free to answer any, some, or none of the questions below as you talk about this scene.

1. What did you think/feel when you first saw this image?

2. Why is Merry so eager to go off to war?

3. Do you think Theoden comes off as the concerned grandfather-figure or the harsh king here? Or some other trope entirely?

I was really glad that they left in this scene actually-- and the music at this time was awesome as well before we see the horses all gallop off. This is an excellent shot of "warrior Merry" in which we didn't see enough in the movie.

I liked this exchange and i feel the necessity that Merry feels of going off because he doesn't want to be left behind and he does feel that with all his hobbit companions going off to war. Pippin, Frodo and Sam have all gone out to the East so of course, Merry wants to too. He's a hobbit of action and a hobbit to not just hang around and do nothing.

Theoden sounded a bit too harsh because i feel like if they left more of the dialogue in from the book, it would've been better because the relationship between Merry and Theoden was strong and the movie doesn't illustrate that part but instead chose to emphasize the Eowyn and Theoden relationship. Therefore the movie departed from the book to the effect they didn't show the THeoden and Merry dynamic so that's why leaving out this dialogue for movie people didn't make so much of a difference but for bookies, and fans of Theoden and Merry,, it did make a difference of not showing the relationship.

Especially when Merry says he doesn't want to be "left behind" which is very true because he always is being left behind -another example is when Pippin goes off to war at the Black Gate and he isn't. Merry naturally wants to be part of the action and therefore with more
danger to his friends, the more involved he would want to be.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Subject User Time
Screencap of the Day: I want to fight! Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Dec 6 2013, 8:11pm
    Reply~ =) elentari3018 Send a private message to elentari3018 Dec 8 2013, 4:41am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.