Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Yes, lovely

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 9:20am

Views: 78
Shortcut
Yes, lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

the mark of a truly great person is the number of people from all walks of life they manage to touch. He's inspired all good-willed people, but I must confess a tribute like that from Sir Ian was the last thing I expected to hear. To think that the contentious proto-Republic of SA made moves to end sexual discrimination when it was still trying to figure out what it would even be about or who would govern it...and 20 yrs later we in America pat ourselves on the back for a couple of Supreme Court decisions that are supposed to be "ground-breaking" and "revolutionary". Truly, it takes those who have suffered to appreciate the suffering of others...even the most marginal. To read that he had tat impact even on Ian was marvelous. And the "Robben Island Bible"...I have tears in my eyes (like I need any moreUnsure.)

I'd like to go on but with yr permission I'd like to share more memories in my non-spoiler thread...we retiring folk want something to talk about...

RIP Sir. Mandela. "Madiba"...(I've never heard this name for him before...but all of a sudden it has sprang up. Whatdoes it mean...Papa'? "Grandpa"? I can't help but think of how "Mohandas" became "Mahatma"...)

May his "great soul" be at peace.

PS On Daily Kos site, (dailykos.com) there are a pair of tribute threads featuring poetry and videos of his life. it made me almost weep. You'd be losing out not to explore them.

Subject User Time
RIP Nelson Mandela Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 5 2013, 10:22pm
    I'm deeply saddened by this news. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Dec 5 2013, 10:23pm
    My heart dropped when I heard the news. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Dec 5 2013, 10:25pm
    I totally agree with all the sentiments expressed so far elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Dec 5 2013, 10:37pm
    It hurts. BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Dec 5 2013, 10:58pm
    Ian McKellen (who met Mandela in 1995) just posted a lovely tribute MatthewJer18 Send a private message to MatthewJer18 Dec 5 2013, 10:59pm
        Such sad news. Thank you posting this tribute here, Matthew Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 6 2013, 1:07am
            Yes, lovely Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Dec 6 2013, 9:20am
                I found this Sunflower, as to the meaning of 'Madiba' Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Dec 6 2013, 10:07pm
    Such sad news // Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Dec 6 2013, 12:15am
    A huge loss. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Dec 6 2013, 12:59am
    Yes. You're right--changed the world, not only South Africa. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Dec 6 2013, 5:14am
        Speaking of the world Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Dec 6 2013, 5:29am
    May he rest in well-earned peace. // Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Dec 6 2013, 5:22am
    He had a long and full life, which I am glad for macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Dec 6 2013, 8:37am
    I usually have my fits with public grieving... but this one is different. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Dec 6 2013, 11:44am
    He deserves to rest, after all he's accomplished Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Dec 6 2013, 3:31pm
    The world has lost a great soul...the most important being in the world is... Patty Send a private message to Patty Dec 7 2013, 12:35am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.