Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
RIP Nelson Mandela

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 5 2013, 10:22pm

Post #1 of 18 (184 views)
Shortcut
RIP Nelson Mandela Can't Post

and thank you for changing the world for the better.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2013, 10:23pm

Post #2 of 18 (141 views)
Shortcut
I'm deeply saddened by this news. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was the absolute best of humanity. May he rest in peace, knowing that he has changed the lives of millions for years to come.

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” - Nelson Mandela

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 5 2013, 10:26pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2013, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 18 (134 views)
Shortcut
My heart dropped when I heard the news. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this quote is Mandela in a nutshell: "If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner."

He became a gracious, forgiving man who took large steps towards healing South Africa. After all he has done, he deserves his rest.

RIP Nelson.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

elaen32
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 10:37pm

Post #4 of 18 (125 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree with all the sentiments expressed so far [In reply to] Can't Post

The world has lost a great spirit today. May he rest in peace.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:58pm

Post #5 of 18 (122 views)
Shortcut
It hurts. [In reply to] Can't Post

To us South Africans, he's always just been 'there' - a figure who has inspired everyone. Now it feels slightly empty, especially since we're experiencing slight political upheavals. Rest in peace, Madiba. Thanks for making it possible for everyone to come together.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:59pm

Post #6 of 18 (122 views)
Shortcut
Ian McKellen (who met Mandela in 1995) just posted a lovely tribute [In reply to] Can't Post

Nelson Mandela
1918-2013

The Valiant Nelson Mandela
I met him once, in February 1995. He'd not long been President of the new Republic of South Africa and a debate was on to write the new constitution. A Constitutional Committee was lobbying to ensure that it would be constitutionally illegal to discriminate on grounds of sexuality. The Committee invited me to raise funds for their work, with my solo show A Knight Out, which I performed in CapeTown, Durban and Johannesburg.
Then, out of the blue, a meeting was proposed with Nelson Mandela, in Johannesburg, where he worked one day per week. I was to accompany two young gay people, asking the President to support them and the aims of the Constitutional Committee: Phumzile Mtetwa, a lesbian law student at Wits University and openly-gay Simon Nkoli, who had been a fighter against apartheid. Both adored Mandela, Madiba, Tata, their granddaddy.
When our taxi picked up Simon he was waiting outside his digs, not in his habitual shorts and bare feet but in a borrowed dark suit and shoes. And he had a briefcase. "What's in the briefcase, Simon?" "Nothing. But it would be disrespectful to meet Madiba, without looking the business." The three of us arrived at ANC headquarters in Johannesburg, where we were invited to deposit our weapons and any live ammunition, before the lift to the top of the building. Simon realised he'd left the empty briefcase in the taxi. A young minder told us the President was tired but ready for us and showed us into an office sitting-room.
On the desk were piled copies of his autobiography. He sat on an upright upholstered chair, legs crossed so his striped socks showed. His eyes drooped, damaged by the hard labour in the Robben Island lime quarry. He spoke quietly, about the weather but then my reasons for being in RSA. That was my cue to introduce Phumzeli who made the case for protecting gay people from discrimination. The victim of apartheid quickly got the point. He then asked about Phumi's education. Perhaps it was that he wasn't at ease talking about gay issues, nervous even. I'd been warned that he might giggle.
The chatterbox Simon hadn't yet spoken when our 20 minutes was almost up. In a rush he told Madiba that he'd been on trial for his life and then released. He said, "My regret about not being found guilty is that I missed the chance to serve with you on Robben Island." Mandela looked right at Simon, shaking his head. "No. No you don't regret that."
I asked if we could tell the press that the President supported the Constitutional Committee. The president nodded "Yes" and it was time for the photograph – taken without flash because of his sight. Simon put a protective arm round Tata's shoulder. Phumzeli beamed. The constitution, explicitly prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, came into effect two years later.
Before I left RSA, a hardback of The Long Walk to Freedom arrived, signed by the author; "For Ian McKellen with admiration Nelson Mandela." It's about my most treasured possession.
The recent authoritative exhibition at the British Museum, Staging the world, showed Shakespeare's influence over the centuries. The last exhibit was the "Robben Island Bible," the complete works of Shakespeare signed by the prisoners of apartheid who passed it around illicitly from cell to cell. On 16 December 1977, Nelson Mandela signed his name in biro next to Julius Caesar's words to his wife in Act 2 scene 2:
"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."

— Ian McKellen, New York, 5 December 2013

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 12:15am

Post #7 of 18 (103 views)
Shortcut
Such sad news // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:59am

Post #8 of 18 (102 views)
Shortcut
A huge loss. [In reply to] Can't Post

Grace and dignity, not stooping to partisan sniping.

If only more politicians and world leaders followed his example.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 1:07am

Post #9 of 18 (100 views)
Shortcut
Such sad news. Thank you posting this tribute here, Matthew [In reply to] Can't Post

The news sounded grim a few weeks ago. Sad day. I hope many people - leaders and everyone - are inspired by his example. Angelic

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 5:14am

Post #10 of 18 (83 views)
Shortcut
Yes. You're right--changed the world, not only South Africa. [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who knows a few people from South Africa, from all accounts an incredibly beautiful country, full of exceptionally brave people, I hope and believe the best is yet to come, thanks to Mr. Mandela.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2013, 5:22am

Post #11 of 18 (80 views)
Shortcut
May he rest in well-earned peace. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2013, 5:29am

Post #12 of 18 (79 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of the world [In reply to] Can't Post

We were talking about this in our office today and during the discussion I brought up Nelson Mandela's wikipedia page.

The point of this story is: man does he have a lot of letters after his name:

OM (Order of Merit)
AC (Order of Australia)
CC (Order of Canada)
OJ (Order of Jamaica)
GCStJ (Venerable Order of Saint John)
QC (Queen's Counsel)
GCH (Order of Prince Henry - Portugal)
BR (Bharat Ratna - India)
RSO (Royal Order of the Seraphim - Sweden)
NPK (Nishan-e-Pakistan)

My only commentary being, that is a LOT of countries

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 8:37am

Post #13 of 18 (72 views)
Shortcut
He had a long and full life, which I am glad for [In reply to] Can't Post

Being 95 when he passed away. RIP

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 9:20am

Post #14 of 18 (81 views)
Shortcut
Yes, lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

the mark of a truly great person is the number of people from all walks of life they manage to touch. He's inspired all good-willed people, but I must confess a tribute like that from Sir Ian was the last thing I expected to hear. To think that the contentious proto-Republic of SA made moves to end sexual discrimination when it was still trying to figure out what it would even be about or who would govern it...and 20 yrs later we in America pat ourselves on the back for a couple of Supreme Court decisions that are supposed to be "ground-breaking" and "revolutionary". Truly, it takes those who have suffered to appreciate the suffering of others...even the most marginal. To read that he had tat impact even on Ian was marvelous. And the "Robben Island Bible"...I have tears in my eyes (like I need any moreUnsure.)

I'd like to go on but with yr permission I'd like to share more memories in my non-spoiler thread...we retiring folk want something to talk about...

RIP Sir. Mandela. "Madiba"...(I've never heard this name for him before...but all of a sudden it has sprang up. Whatdoes it mean...Papa'? "Grandpa"? I can't help but think of how "Mohandas" became "Mahatma"...)

May his "great soul" be at peace.

PS On Daily Kos site, (dailykos.com) there are a pair of tribute threads featuring poetry and videos of his life. it made me almost weep. You'd be losing out not to explore them.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 11:44am

Post #15 of 18 (66 views)
Shortcut
I usually have my fits with public grieving... but this one is different. [In reply to] Can't Post

What a strength, what a man, what a loss.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 6 2013, 11:44am)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 3:31pm

Post #16 of 18 (54 views)
Shortcut
He deserves to rest, after all he's accomplished [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great man. What a great life. The world is a poorer place without him.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 10:07pm

Post #17 of 18 (36 views)
Shortcut
I found this Sunflower, as to the meaning of 'Madiba' [In reply to] Can't Post

Why Nelson Mandela is called 'Madiba'

I thought about my posting of the sadness of the loss...but I want to turn towards celebrating him too. I hope and expect that his life must have felt fulfilling to him: such hardship but accomplished so much. I hope he felt it was enough, because it was. I wish him and his family peace.

I agree with all the rest you have said Sunflower, especially this:
"Truly, it takes those who have suffered to appreciate the suffering of others..."

Angelic

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 7 2013, 12:35am

Post #18 of 18 (35 views)
Shortcut
The world has lost a great soul...the most important being in the world is... [In reply to] Can't Post

A worker for peace.

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.