Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thoughts on DOS (Having see it last night) *MAJOR SPOILERS*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Dec 6 2013, 6:17am

Post #176 of 219 (1134 views)
Stephen Fry was incredible... [In reply to] Can't Post

A few things I liked...

1) Smaug's scene with Bilbo was great. His arrogance is perfectly captured.

2) Wandering through Mirkwood is quite fun although brief.

3) Beorn. Beorn. Beorn. Although very brief, he's great. I was hoping he'd factor into the Dol Guldur plot but alas he does not. His house is gorgeous, but we already knew that.

4) The entire Laketown sequence is amazing. The right kind of humor, the right kind of energy. It was my favorite section of the movie. Alfred and the Master are a lot of fun. I hope the extended cut reveals even more of this world.

5) Thranduil's halls are pretty great and we get to see a nice amount of them. Although not too much more than what's been revealed in clips and trailers.

6) Radagast, he's only in the movie a few scenes but I loved seeing him again. I was sad to see him leave the movie so early.

7) The Hidden Door scene is quite lovely. I wish more time was spent with drama like this than OTT action honestly. It's why audiences love these stories.

8) The Spiders. Their movement is much more terrifying than Shelob. These are mean, fast and aggressive spiders.

9) Bard, I liked his underground good guy storyline. It wasn't in your face and obnoxious. He just came across as a guy wanting to do right by his people and family. His poem from the trailer is a small but lovely moment in the film.

Dec 6 2013, 6:22am

Post #177 of 219 (1131 views)
Here's my theory... [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple factors:

1) I feel like they probably didn't have Ian McKellen that long to shoot in the new block of shooting and probably focused on shooting film 3 things and tweaking a couple film 2 things here and there.

2) When Thrain was pushed to film 3 (likely to punctuate Thorin's downfall), they lost most of the substance of this story. I think this was one of my big gripes with the film. I feel like the thematic material would have worked just as well with cutting between Gandalf discovering Thrain (who never made it to Erebor) and Thorin entering the mountain. It would have been an eerie and emotional way to bring more meaning to the opening of the hidden door.

Dec 6 2013, 6:28am

Post #178 of 219 (1028 views)
lets hope [In reply to] Can't Post

That i still can like something about all the Dol Guldur scenes. It looked great from the trailers, so please dont let it be THE big disappointment..i was so looking forward to.

And as you said "when" Thrain is pushed into TaBa...there is no gurantee for it,unfortuntely.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Dec 6 2013, 6:30am)

Dec 6 2013, 6:33am

Post #179 of 219 (1033 views)
Now,that is a totally [In reply to] Can't Post

fair game.You mentioned all the negative and positive things you found in the movie from your own perspective.That is totally respectableSmileThe only thing that worriesme so far,judging from your comments is the Lake Town Battle sequence.It sounds really sloppy.I don't mind the intense cliffhanger,the CGI is subjective and the OTT action sequence is something that exists in all Middle Earth films so far.(some have less some have more but OTT is present in all 4 films)Thank you very muchWink

Dec 6 2013, 6:40am

Post #180 of 219 (1007 views)
Might this not be an illusion? [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't the light just be a hallucination of Kili's? I've never thought that Arwen's glow was supposed to be a LITERAL light coming from her.

Dec 6 2013, 6:43am

Post #181 of 219 (1054 views)
Was it ever confirmed that Dol Guldur was ABOUT Thrain? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't seem to recall it ever being confirmed that Thrain would actually have an important part in the Dol Guldur subplot. This seems like massive conjecture on the part of the fandom that he was "cut around".

Grey Havens

Dec 6 2013, 6:47am

Post #182 of 219 (1046 views)
so... [In reply to] Can't Post

How did she respond? And was it full "I love you and want to marry you" and all that crap?

Seriously, I think PJ&co have finally gone off the deep end with this one...Mad

And I was someone who had been MORE than willing to give her the benefit of the doubt right from the beginning....!

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Dec 6 2013, 7:04am

Post #183 of 219 (1044 views)
the Tauriel/Kili scene would probably explain [In reply to] Can't Post

the "Kingsfoil" track on the soundtrack then Smile

Dec 6 2013, 7:25am

Post #184 of 219 (1001 views)
I promise I will never bug you again in my life ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if you please answer these few questions (unless you get to see TABA before me again, in which I would bug you twice! Wink)

- What are your three favorite scenes from the movie?
- Can you just describe the whole Tauriel-Legolas-Kili busines i.e. what kind of dialogue is in there and how obvious is the romance. You won't be depriving anyone here because I think many people do not like that inclusion or just don't care about it.
-How long exactly does the dwarf-Smaug confrontation go?
-Does Bilbo get sidelined again as in AUJ in many scenes, or does he have more prominence in this film?
-Is the film just non-stop action (which I dislike) or are there plenty of pauses with the actual plot going on. In other words, besides the barrels, the spiders and the Smaug-dwarves fight are there any other such scenes and do they feel more like LotR or like Pirates of Carribean? (not including Dol Guldur)

Thanks so much buddy! Smile

To sum up my views on the first Hobbit film:

- It's not the Phantom Menace.
- The CGI is worse than LOTR
- Is it Freeman playing Bilbo or the other way round?
- Best villain - Goblin King
- Re: Bestest villain - Gollum
- Thorin is good but Bofur's the best!
- Too much attention on Armitage. Must rectify in DOS
- Azog is a weird heterogenous mixture of General Mandible and old Voldy. (which is bad)
- How many times will SIM have to play Gandalf to win an Oscar????
- I'm a Serkis-freak
- Freeman = Best hobbit till date
- Will I watch DOS? Are you outta yer freakin' mind!!!! Sure I would.

(This post was edited by Sildarion~Valenar on Dec 6 2013, 7:25am)

Dec 6 2013, 7:33am

Post #185 of 219 (972 views)
Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

so there is no wandering around in the desolated dale.
thats a shame, because i was looking to this forward the most Mad
how about the scene from the teaser poster - where bilbo stands in the city of dale and sees the entrance of erebor and the smoke from its inside caverns - is this missing as well?

Dec 6 2013, 7:45am

Post #186 of 219 (945 views)
I have an idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you please describe each moment and each nuance of this film and tell me how it made you feel?

I love knowing which moments I should enjoy and which I should hate before I see the movie. It just makes it so much easier for me than actually experiencing the movie and forming my own opinion.

No offense to the OP, he's just sharing. It just seems like some folks are putting an inordinate amount of stock in this.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Peterthorn of Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 8:23am

Post #187 of 219 (934 views)
Mirkwood spiders Sequence!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

How was that?

Dec 6 2013, 8:25am

Post #188 of 219 (894 views)
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats not dale, thats the other piece of architecture, the raven place or soemthing.

Dec 6 2013, 8:25am

Post #189 of 219 (939 views)
He said that [In reply to] Can't Post

it is one of the scenes he really liked.The spiders are more terrifying than Shelob and more aggressive.

Dec 6 2013, 9:19am

Post #190 of 219 (859 views)
Oh boy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...because then I am always disappointed by what we actually get haha!

Hire this man!

Anddddddddddd that's why fans are not in charge. It's easy to come after the fact and say "this works, "this doesn't work", perhaps what you want doesn't translate well, Pete, Philippa & Fran always try various things, if it's not in there, then it probably didn't work or didn't flow.

Making movies is so complicated, some of you have no idea how complicated it is.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

Dec 6 2013, 9:53am

Post #191 of 219 (823 views)
One critic to rule them all [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, Thx Dcol4 for your review I respected your opinion. However as I do with many positive reactions so far I 'm still keeping DoS unjudged until 8 dc.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Dec 6 2013, 10:01am)

Dec 6 2013, 10:11am

Post #192 of 219 (787 views)
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many people here who are anxious or excited for this movie, some with a bad, some with a good feeling. So it is only natural that discussions get a bit heated when there is only one review to work with, especially when some suddenly seem to base their judgment already and without having seen it on that review. And when you put your review out there that is what happens. And the OP has handled that magnificently, taking so much time to give responses.

So it is completely unnecessary imho to just walk by and call out those who hope they may enjoy some scenes more or that people will not rely on just that one opinion fanboys who should not be answered. Should other people then start calling some people haters and we descend to the internet lows as so many other forums? I think none of us want that.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Dec 6 2013, 10:40am

Post #193 of 219 (742 views)
whenever..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....I hear bad reviews before I watch the movie it makes me literally depressed

but when you realise that this is your first post in Lorien, it makes me feel haapppyy!!!Cool finally here folks!

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Dec 6 2013, 10:47am

Post #194 of 219 (730 views)
Thank you again. [In reply to] Can't Post

For all your patience.

Naturally, I hope to agree with the things you liked and disagree about the rest :D But I must say I have not read all you wrote to not overdo it with the spoilers.

Will be great to re-start the discussion with you once we have seen the movie, you seem like a very good partner for discussion :) Have you been on TORN for a long time?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Dec 6 2013, 10:59am

Post #195 of 219 (747 views)
This is critical [In reply to] Can't Post

If Kili is delirious when he declares his love and passes out straight after, that's not so bad. It also really helps if Tauriel doesn't recipricate. Do we see her reaction? Is it a concerned glance? A reassuring smile perhaps, sensing his gratitude but putting it down to fever rather than any real sentiment? I can live with Kili being infatuated with Tauriel so long as she doesn't really feel the same way and only likes him as a friend, and nothing comes of it.

Dec 6 2013, 11:17am

Post #196 of 219 (717 views)
Yes, something like that would be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean it does make sense for Tauriel to be in one way or the other "amazed" by the dwarves, as she complains about the isolationism of her people and how they hide underground.

Even as the head of the guard she may not have seen very much other than the area surrounding the Halls and since Greenwood is becoming less and less friendly that probably isn't that awesome to begin with.

So there is that whole new culture that steps into her life which she probably knows mainly from tales (not the most friendly tales, too).

And in Kili she might recognize one among the Company who is also not that stubborn when it comes to the ancient feuds and curious about another race.

I think there are many ways this can play out nicely and not un-tolkienesque.

The Shire

Dec 6 2013, 1:15pm

Post #197 of 219 (625 views)
To all of those [In reply to] Can't Post

who did not like the movie.....

Dec 6 2013, 1:26pm

Post #198 of 219 (626 views)
I've got the feeling that I'm going to like DOS - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I've always seen the Hobbit as being a bit less serious and a bit more amusing than the Lord of the Rings, especially during the earlier acts.

There seems to be an impression that DOS lacks emotional weight. I think TABA will make up for it. For myself, it was the attack on Lake-Town and Thorin's greed where the story turned a lot grimmer in the book and TABA will probably reflect that.

It seems to me that this version of DOS is aimed at a general movie audience so I'm curious to see what the Extended Edition will bring to the story.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Dec 6 2013, 2:21pm

Post #199 of 219 (572 views)
The feast of starlight [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a party in Mirkwood at all???

Dec 6 2013, 4:49pm

Post #200 of 219 (477 views)
Spoiler on Kili/Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

She heals him in a very similar manner to Arwen (a bit expanded from what we saw in FOTR), with the halo effect around her that Frodo saw around Arwen. When Kili realizes who is healing him he continues the conversation Tauriel and him had in Mirkwood, it's quite lovely dialogue but I thought the Morgul poison was utterly unnecessary fanfare.

I forget the specific dialogue but it's basically about two souls that wouldn't normally meet and whether or not they could fall in love. He then asks if she could love him too. She smiles and they hold hands. It seems quite sincere.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Dec 6 2013, 4:51pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.