Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Silmarrillon Movie thoughts

Beorn's Bees
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 12:19am

Post #1 of 16 (371 views)
Shortcut
Silmarrillon Movie thoughts Can't Post

Hi all! This is my first thread, so bear with me if I make mistakes!

So, The Silmarrillon is quite possibly Tolkien's best work (either the Sil or The Hobbit), and I know it has been talked about before on here, but where does everybody stand on a Silmarrillon movie series? Sadly, the rights are not up for grabs yet, but if there were a series, what would be included? What would be cut? How many movies? What director? Should be in the same universe as PJs movies?

I was thinking that if I made them, there would be six films:

Beren and Luthien part 1: The Quest of the Silmaril
Part 2: The Hunt of the Wolf

The Children of Hurin part 1: The Curse of Morgoth
Part 2: The Coming of Glaurung

The Fall of Gondolin

The War of Wrath

Hmmm so what doth thou think?

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 2:09am

Post #2 of 16 (253 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

it would do much better as a tv min series.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 10:21am

Post #3 of 16 (230 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Silmarillion has the mainstream appeal that LOTR & TH has [In reply to] Can't Post

A TV series would be a safer bet because it won't be such a big gamble for the studio.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

nandorin elf
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 4:41pm

Post #4 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I would love to see a live action TV series, which would be the best way to adapt it IMO, I don't think it would have mainstream appeal. The screenwriters would need to invent most of the dialogue. Plus, I have purist tendencies, so the many changes they would make to draw in a wider audience would likely annoy me. Crazy I love the LOTR films, but I have never warmed to a few of the changes (go home, Sam).
Someday maybe there will be enough Sil fans to get a semi-faithful adaptation; having some changes wouldn't bother me. We can hope.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 16 (202 views)
Shortcut
I think The Silmarillion is a little bit more convoluted than the average story [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also a bit dreary and depressing. And I don't think a mainstream audience could handle Elves behaving badly. I don't even think it would really work as a TV series. It's probably best that it stays right where it is.

Hello!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 5 2013, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 16 (216 views)
Shortcut
I can just hear the complaints... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then Beren sprang from before Celegorm full upon the speeding horse of Curufin that had passed him; and the Leap of Beren is renowned among Men and Elves."
-The Sil

("Oh, that's just so over the top it takes me right out of the movie!!")

I won't even mention the whole "Míriel is dying" mystery...plot... thing....

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 5 2013, 6:58pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 5 2013, 10:46pm

Post #7 of 16 (192 views)
Shortcut
*Chuckles* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 11:52pm

Post #8 of 16 (174 views)
Shortcut
comparisons [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I wouldn't compare this leap to the silliness of many of Jackson's made up action scenes.

Not that you were, but Jackson does go quite over the top, and then some in my opinion, especially in his latest film.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 8:48am

Post #9 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Darkstone's examples were quite fitting. Remember how many purists ranted about the "Arwen is dying" thing when ROTK was released and how very un-Tolkien this was?

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 6 2013, 8:49am)

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 3:06pm

Post #10 of 16 (140 views)
Shortcut
action and death [In reply to] Can't Post

I referred to the action sequences as far as Jackson's over-the-top-ness. What Tolkien wrote about Beren need not be filmed as some over-the-top impossible feat. Jackson might 'interpret' the scene this way, if other scenes he has chosen to include in his films are any hint of what he 'might' do, anyway.

Also, plenty of people die in Tolkien's legendarium, and if one is a 'purist' it can easily be seen that Miriel did die [so why would purists complain about that, for example], while Arwen was not dying in The Lord of the Rings tale of course (Appendices obviously aside).

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
I still think that leap is pretty over the top... [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet if the very same text was written by PJ, Fran and Philippa in a potential leaked script of a Silmarillion movie people would have hated it. Tolkien has his cheesy parts in his writings too... but he gets a pass by many die-hard fans because well, he's Tolkien.

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 3:28pm

Post #12 of 16 (127 views)
Shortcut
the leap [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is it 'cheesy' unless you imagine it so, or film it so?

It seems a perfectly possible thing to do, even for people who are not in mythic fairy tales.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2013, 3:51pm

Post #13 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why is it 'cheesy' unless you imagine it so, or film it so?

It seems a perfectly possible thing to do, even for people who are not in mythic fairy tales.

There is a sport called Equestrian Vaulting where people do all sorts of crazy stuff on horses like this: http://youtu.be/nUqrYQI4trk?t=4m44s Although I'm having trouble finding a video of it, I've seen people vault onto horses running at a full gallop towards them. It's not unbelievable or cheezy at all.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 4:43pm

Post #14 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of crazy stuff on horses... [In reply to] Can't Post

What about Legolas' stunt before the warg attack in TTT? Cool

That's what the "leap of Beren" reminded me of.

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 7 2013, 3:53pm

Post #15 of 16 (85 views)
Shortcut
film-Legolas and Beren [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that's certainly not how I imagined Beren's leap.

Legolas basically grabs part of the horse's 'harness' (whatever it's called specifically) as it is running towards him; that is, he grabs a strap by putting his arm in front of the horse while it is running towards him and swings up in front and on the other side -- before landing in the saddle.

Granted you said 'reminded', but for example did you read this section of The Silmarillion first and imagine Beren's leap like that? I'm not sure anyone would, even given subjective interpretations of this description.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Dec 7 2013, 3:57pm)

Swingcatpdx
The Shire

Dec 9 2013, 4:52pm

Post #16 of 16 (68 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion movie or movies [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Rise of Sauron". His beginnings, service to Morgoth, forging of the rings, original corruption of the nine, conquest of Eriador, Invasion by Numenor, Fall of Numenor, War of the Last Alliance, War of the Rings. Plenty of good movie material.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.