Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
U.S. readers - finally Barnes & Noble gets DOS Empire mags - east coast

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 9:40pm

Post #1 of 17 (188 views)
Shortcut
U.S. readers - finally Barnes & Noble gets DOS Empire mags - east coast Can't Post

So my local Barnes and Noble bookstore called and said they finally have a shipment of DOS Empire magazines -
for the U.S. collectors you might want to check bookstores, I'm picking up mine tomorrow that are being
held for me, the caller indicated that they seem to be selling fast.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 9:52pm

Post #2 of 17 (119 views)
Shortcut
Darn it, still not on the West Coast! [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked this morning and they still aren't in. I asked the guy and he said they get shipments in every day, but they never know what they're going to get. Hopefully, I'll be getting that call soon too! In the meantime, checking daily.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 11:03pm

Post #3 of 17 (115 views)
Shortcut
Soon - hope! [In reply to] Can't Post

They won't hold copies for you? My store was great, the guy I talked to in November made a real effort, held copies for me and even remembered to call - I'm impressed. But if they are coming in on the east coast should be any time on the west coast! My guy DID say they had only got a very few copies in (e.g., come and get the ones I'm holding) in a phone message, but then another guy says they had just got more in today - it's as tho the stock is just randomly shipped in groups of stuff, not a big stack of the same magazine - odd.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 11:30pm

Post #4 of 17 (123 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

the guy said he'd call me when they came in, but didn't seem too on top of things, so I'm not depending only on that. That is really weird that they just got in a few at a time - never paid this much attention to magazine shipments before! Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 10:01pm

Post #5 of 17 (104 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to check tomorrow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll pop by my local B&N on Wednesday morning.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 3 2013, 10:07pm

Post #6 of 17 (113 views)
Shortcut
my B&N has all the Hobbit stuff out, including Empire [In reply to] Can't Post

mind you, I don't go to B&N that often as it is the next town over, so can't say what the past weeks have been like. But today finally got my Bilbo and Thorin Empire magazines - and the clerk is telling me he called 6 people to come in, and I was the only one who called back, so all of their Empires have been put out. I can see that, they won't keep holding stuff. I told him it was probably because digital copies had gone out online (e.g., in the U.S. it's past that excitement phase except for the collectors...). Nor did they have the issue with the multiple characters, but IMO that was a terrible image and would not have bought anyway.

What got my really excited was the Erebor key paperweights - don't remember seeing these - but scooped those up. Love the Erebor key anyway and these are actually useful - I've used rocks, books, etc. to prop books open but this great big key will do nicely. There was a modest collection of Tolkien and a few collectibles like the Sting letter opener and a few pens. B&N has been losing sales to Amazon, so imagine the days of all kinds of stuff to buy are gone. Hope we don't lose another bookstore - seems there used to be a lot more selection of entertainment magazines.

Hope you get your issues soon! Have no idea how these stores handle their stock - seems to be pretty irregular.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 3 2013, 11:14pm

Post #7 of 17 (100 views)
Shortcut
still not there today :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

The closest B&N to me is also the next town over, so it's a little annoying to have to keep checking (I don't usually go there often either). They've had a table set up for the last month or so, and have slowly been adding stuff to it (paperweights and such), but certainly not the collection that Amazon has.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 1:15am

Post #8 of 17 (97 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so obnoxious - I even mentioned to the B&N guy I'd read a complaint where Empire was still missing in action in some U.S. B&N stores - he just looked blankly at me. Only thing I can think of, I'm closer to the U.K. re shipping over the Atlantic? Amazon is where I usually get my stuff from, or Books A Million which for me is closer than B&N. Will hope Empire shows up for you by end of week!

Kim
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 1:46am

Post #9 of 17 (95 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it is obnoxious, and that could very well be that you get them a little sooner than the west coast. Of course, I can fly to London in 9 hours, so you'd think in this day and age, we could get them at the same time! Tongue On the plus side, I get my shipments from Amazon really fast. Cool

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 4 2013, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 17 (86 views)
Shortcut
Got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the December 2013 issue of Empire on the stands in Barnes and Noble this morning. Presumably, it was shelved yesterday. If your local B&N doesn't have it yet, the issue should be coming soon. The same for any other U.S. retailer that regularly carries the magazine.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 4 2013, 9:57pm)

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 1:37am

Post #11 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! is about time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure why, but having the hardcopy for this article - and the covers - is just BETTER than having a digital copy.

Glad you got yours! and hope all who are interested are hitting B&N this week. And the article itself is just cool. Think I might check out Books A Million as well to see if they have any interesting stuff - maybe!
It's Hobbit mania time, LOL...

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 3:25am

Post #12 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Took long enough lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Between help from fellow TORn staffers and ebay I was able to secure what I needed. Took longer than it should of but glad to have them.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 8:05pm

Post #13 of 17 (61 views)
Shortcut
Books A Million no goodies [In reply to] Can't Post

Books a Million had the Hobbit book out - but a whole display on the Duck Dynasty. Go figure - yep, it's Amazon for me for great collectibles!

Kim
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 6:23am

Post #14 of 17 (73 views)
Shortcut
My Empire magazine is here! My Empire magazine is here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Things are going to start happening to me now. Sly

Finally, the magazine came in (and the guy did not call me, I just had to go check again). Of course, I was not able to resist, so I read the whole thing. I'd already heard the more spoilery content from other sources, so nothing too shocking.

Thorin is staring at me...

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 5:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (52 views)
Shortcut
Happy for you - can't believe it too so long! [In reply to] Can't Post

And they never called you! But am real glad you got it in your hands, was on E-bay yesterday and these are already being sold w. huge mark-ups.

Life is always better with Thorin in it too, LOL - tho re Empire he seems none too happy (I wouldn't be happy in Mirkwood either, just watched the sneak peek again and didn't realize you can hear the spiders chittering *shudder*).
Didn't think the Empire article was TOO bad re spoilers, and think it is really well written. Felt like I was sitting there with PJ and love the images.

I got the Bilbo one was well as I think that is one of the best DOS images of him. (Re spoilers - ah well, this feels like the longest, longest week of my life, and I slipped and cheated (am weak) and watched the Bilbo barrel clip [love!!!] and the Thorin/Bard clip [love, RA epic voice!!!!] , and I'm not sorry tho it made the wait MUCH worse.....). But a lot of the other overseas magazine translations seemed to be marked heavy spoilers so am avoiding all those.

E-bay or Amazon is selling the 4 x 6' of Thorin cover as a poster - the famous bus station version - so tempted, but where and how to hang something like that? Also wondering if the sellers actually stole it from someplace - hmmm.

PS. RA never should have said in an interview he wanted the "anime" little doll version of Thorin for Christmas - think he means the Funko POP doll and am sure he will be flooded with with them. But I wanted one and Thorin is not easy to find - B&N only had Gandalf, Legolas, and a transparent Bilbo ): Books a Million had nothing. Back to Amazon!!!!

Kim
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 6:43pm

Post #16 of 17 (47 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure they were shipped out by wagon train. Tongue

I too have slipped a little on spoilers, I also watched the Bilbo barrel clip, but I specifically avoided the Thorin/Bard one - I just have to see that in the theater first. Trying to be careful with various articles and interviews, but a lot of them seem to have just a little more spoilers than I want.

Holy cow, now I need to hunt down that poster. FYI: I did get the Thorin Funko Pop doll via Amazon - my B&N didn't have it either (I was tempted by invisible Bilbo). And yes, Richard should not have said that, he'll get a ton. Wink

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 10:28pm

Post #17 of 17 (70 views)
Shortcut
the "bus station" poster is on E-bay [In reply to] Can't Post

just checked, searched under Thorin poster - several offerings and one of them sounds like it was taken straight off a station. Which, I can't say I am that upset about, as think seller is correct and most stuff like that is just going to be thrown out (hurts when I think of the French Hobbit posters - sigh). I'm thinking, thinking - it's just I know by late next year some of these collectibles and magazines will be hard to impossible to get, except at premium prices. (I'm not a big collector but have loved the Hobbit so much I'm gonna want this part and time of Middle Earth with me, as classic favorites of mine. And some stuff like the key paperweights are actually in use daily.) And I am getting misty-eyed over the idea of a 6' tall Thorin - that's close to life-size (so cool!) - *cough* so to speak, get confusing - dwarf life size vs. human life size, LOL.

BTW good for you for staying strong re clips - I'm off the Hobbit forum, major news sites, IMDB etc. Am OK so far re spoilers - except nothing made me madder than the kid's activity book - whichever one it was - that came out with a particular detail I was NOT expecting - it's a small thing but still I was mad - TOO much. I knew enough to avoid certain articles but a kid's book? And am NOT watching latest blog or B-roll.

RA should take a picture of himself surrounded by hundreds of little Funko Thorins - srsly, my first reaction was awwwwwwh and to send off one as well *sniff* LOL. But it might be more amusing to send a T-shirt from the U.S. severe storms laboratories, if I ever do anything like that, re his upcoming film.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.