Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
NZ On Screen picks the top 10 New Zealand movies ever made

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 2 2013, 9:49pm

Post #1 of 15 (154 views)
Shortcut
NZ On Screen picks the top 10 New Zealand movies ever made Can't Post

There is nary a LOTR or Hobbit in sight: http://www.nzonscreen.com/...-10-nz-feature-films

(I've seen all except Goodbye Pork Pie and Vigil.)

From NZ On Screen: "How did we choose the 10 films? We've based our decisions on a mix of our own gut feelings and opinions ... alongside the feedback we get from site visitors commenting on titles. And obviously we have considered the impact of the films themselves ó awards, box office, reviews, international success, and the extent to which they have passed into the Kiwi consciousness.
"Much dissension will arise from the exclusion of Jacksonís The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies and possibly his 2009 adaptation of The Lovely Bones. Although Jacksonís film company WingNut was involved in all productions, they are generally viewed as Hollywood films made in Wellington. For the purposes of this Top 10, itís sensible to preclude them."

BTW these listed these films chronologically, not from best-to-least-best.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

demnation
Rohan

Dec 2 2013, 10:59pm

Post #2 of 15 (78 views)
Shortcut
Their exclusion of LOTR and TH makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the purpose of this list was to single out homegrown films about New Zealand and the New Zealand experience.(At least, that is the impression I get.) LOTR was already an established story that (rightfully) belongs to the world at large. Without or without Jackson, it seems New Zealand has a film legacy to be proud of.

Hello!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 2 2013, 11:08pm

Post #3 of 15 (94 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

To be contrary:

The Te Kooti Trail (1927)
On the Friendly Road (1936)
140 Days Under the World (1965)
Sleeping Dogs (1977)
The Quiet Earth (1985)
Footrot Flats: The Dogís Tale (1987)
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988)
A Soldier's Tale (1989)
The Frighteners (1996)
Black Sheep (2006)

Great films filmed in NZ:
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
Battle Cry (1955)
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983)

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 3:52am

Post #4 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
You have never seen Goodbye Pork Pie or Vigil? [In reply to] Can't Post

How on earth did you manage that?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2013, 3:58am

Post #5 of 15 (59 views)
Shortcut
I was too young to see GPP in the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

and Vigil just passed me by for some reason (double-shame: It was filmed just up the road from me in Uruti).

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 3:59am

Post #6 of 15 (62 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see The Quiet Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

on that list, but I'm not sure what I would knock out. I would also add Illustrious Energy, and Out of the Blue.
But I am generally happy with the top 10, although I think The Piano is overrated. I would replace it with Ngati, which I think is underrated.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 4:05am

Post #7 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Vigil, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we had a recent conversation about that, when I mentioned how much the brooding landscape freaked me out, being a Cantabrian. It's a stunning film. Have you seen Rain of the Children? Vincent Ward is incredible when he is onto it.

One of the many great things about Goodbye Pork Pie is seeing a snapshot of NZ at that time. There is a scene when they stop at a Four Square, and the camera pans around the shop. My cousin and I always look at this scene frame by frame, as we check out all the products and labels we remember from childhood. Plus there are a lot of scenes in Christchurch that show places that are now gone. It's a terrific movie - funny and full of action, with that classic dark Kiwi undercurrent. I think I was 14 when I saw it at the movies.

Have you seen the Utu redux? I've heard it's very good.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Dec 3 2013, 4:14am

Post #8 of 15 (72 views)
Shortcut
My original reply to this was to bemoan my inability to see In My Father's Den [In reply to] Can't Post

I've wanted to see it for many years but it was never released in the U.S. and when I visited my daughter in Australia I was never able to find it in any rental store.

It suddenly occurred to me to search for a streaming version online and presto!

Oh my. Oh my my. Oh my gosh.

I think it's one of the very best movies I have ever seen. I was spellbound throughout, never saw the twists and turns coming, and was utterly blown away by both Matthew MacFadyen and Emily Barclay. It is, in a word, stunning.

I am SO GLAD I finally saw this movie, after reading the rave reviews and waiting nine years.

I've also seen The Piano (loved it!), Heavenly Creatures (hated it), and Whale Rider (loved it). I guess I'll have to explore the others.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 4:57am

Post #9 of 15 (54 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a shame that we will not be able to see what else Brad McGann would have done.

If you loved The Piano and Whale Rider, you might like Vigil and Smash Palace, both part of our 'Cinema of Unease', as Sam Neil likes to call it. I would also recommend Illustrious Energy, which is set in Central Otago (the same area as In My Father's Den), and tells the often ignored stories of Chinese gold miners in the 1890's. I don't know if you would be able to track it down - it's pretty obscure. Leon Narbey (Whalerider) did the cinematography, and it's very beautiful.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2013, 5:48am

Post #10 of 15 (50 views)
Shortcut
No I haven't, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I practically know Utu off by heart - it had a big impact on me when I first saw it and when it eventually came on TV I recorded and watched the film more than a few times.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2013, 5:50am

Post #11 of 15 (58 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you finally got to see it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be shallow for a moment and say that I could melt into McFadyen's voice - but yeah, I didn't pick where that film was heading either.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 6:59am

Post #12 of 15 (45 views)
Shortcut
Illustrious Energy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/...kdpQodVRYAlA#reviews

Scroll up to see details.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 7:19am

Post #13 of 15 (42 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 4:17pm

Post #14 of 15 (33 views)
Shortcut
years ago I bought a DVD player I could set to "region 0" [In reply to] Can't Post

primarily so I could watch DVDs from other regions. "In My Father's Den" was one of the prime reasons I did that.

Do Blu-Ray disks have regions?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2013, 6:22am

Post #15 of 15 (19 views)
Shortcut
Two of them are from my part of the world! [In reply to] Can't Post

My childhood home, that is. Which is not the only reason they're two of my favourites. :) "Whale Rider" and "Boy".

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.