Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Twitter, Reviwes, Reactions Part 4
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:49am

Post #1 of 52 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Twitter, Reviwes, Reactions Part 4 Can't Post

@ErikDavis: I really dug DESOLATION OF SMAUG. It's darker, but it needs to be. Also includes what might be my favorite action sequence of the year

@ErikDavis: More than the first one, I felt elements of the three LORD OF THE RINGS movies all over DESOLATION

@ErikDavis: The last 90 minutes of DESOLATION do not stop coming at you. Forget long runtimes, this movie doesn't stop.

@ErikDavis: @VogtRoberts I really liked it, but compared to TWO TOWERS, it's not as good as that. TWO TOWERS is my favorite of all of them

@ErikDavis: What's fun is you can engage with this separate story & also enjoy the LOTR prequel elements of it all. You can experience it different ways

from Twitter

All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 1:15am

Post #2 of 52 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Should be part 6 though :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 1:32am

Post #3 of 52 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Oh no.. well, will be on page 2 soon anyway ^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 3:21am

Post #4 of 52 (1348 views)
Shortcut
The concerns of a reviewer, which mirror one of my larger ones from early on when [In reply to] Can't Post

much now confirmed was merely nervous speculation.

"At almost three hours of running time, the movie is entertaining and time will fly by. But you will be left craving for so much when it ends. The movie just keeps building up and keeps filling you with expectations but it all climaxes soon and you are left with nothing but to wait for the next installment which will be released a year later. Well that was the main problem with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug."

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Fili
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 4:05am

Post #5 of 52 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Cliffhangers are bad now? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen this complaint come up a lot, and it makes me scratch my head a bit.

When did cliffhangers become bad?

Don't get me wrong, I know a BAD cliffhanger can be the worst thing in the world. If its executed poorly, and I just don't care about the characters and whats going to happen, or if I feel cheated, etc...

But is that whats really happening here? I mean, I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the quote you shared with us there, the gripe is, "It left me wanting more!"

That's a problem?

I figure this has to be a new phenomenon, because I don't recall Empire Strikes Back getting crappy reviews because it ended on a cliffhanger.

So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 4:17am

Post #6 of 52 (1162 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole issue regarding cliffhanger endings is bizarre. We are so conditioned to traditional endings we seem to have forgotten the joy of waiting to find out what happens next. For three years my friends and I wondered if Han Solo was alive. It was great!

Also, the new Hunger Games film ends on a cliffhanger. I haven't heard anyone complain about that one. Why should this be any different?

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 4:31am

Post #7 of 52 (1162 views)
Shortcut
I don't think critics will savage the ending [In reply to] Can't Post

They really don't do that in many movies that are generally throughout good movies. I can only imagine the utter disappoint for anyone to sit through a hardly decent or even bad film to discover the story ends in two years.

So far, DOS looks promising and I have no reason to see otherwise since all the main media companies I follow and sometimes trust have had journalists praising DOS.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 6 2013, 4:58am

Post #8 of 52 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is Fine with it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems the logical
way to do this middle film.

I mean just how many Thrills & Chills
are actually needed?

PJ in the Latest Vlog said
"The Race is on..."
& something? like the audience
knows most of main characters...

Let the Real Fun begin.
The Death of Smaug could be just fine
Like the Balrog/Gandalf plunge to start TTT.

The more we ARE familiar
with the Humans in Laketown
the Better.

Bomby likens the Death,
and Spectaculer sinking of Laketown!
to something...
that could Rival
The Titanic (1999) going down.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 6 2013, 5:00am)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 5:03am

Post #9 of 52 (1345 views)
Shortcut
"LOVED IT" [In reply to] Can't Post

was the reaction of a girl i follow on Twitter who is an LA blogger. can't copy and paste but her Twitter handle is @girlmeetsbear. said DoS had some of the best fight scenes since RotK, is better paced than AUJ, and "Smaug is...terrifying."

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 8:32am

Post #10 of 52 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Can somebody tell me [In reply to] Can't Post

What did happend after LA's premiere last year reagerding to reaction from an audience? I didnt follow it since wellington's premiere but many peoples told me that it was poor reception.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 12:24pm

Post #11 of 52 (931 views)
Shortcut
OK now negative reaction begins [In reply to] Can't Post

@BilgeEbiri @thehighsign I wish someone would show Peter Jackson the meaning of haste.

and it from LA Time writer. LA Time gave AUJ just 50

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:41pm

Post #12 of 52 (832 views)
Shortcut
Do not let yourself be deceived... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just because some of the very early reactions were rather positive.

This does not change that it still seems rather likely that DoS might be better received than AUJ, but not that much.

We have discussed this here many times.

Most of the issues the critics had with AUJ (three movie split, pacing, stakes, HFR) are things that might again influence the reviews. Either because they are similar to AUJ or because they will watch out for what they disliked last year.

Also, PJ seems to be pretty happy with AUJ. DoS will be similar in many ways. The main change will be that it will probably move faster (although the Tweet you posted suggests otherwise).

The likelihood of DoS suddenly being a critics' favorites was always very slim imho and the early positve remarks by some who disliked AUJ only really gives the hope that it will be better received. But looking at the way AUJ was critically received better does not mean great.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 12:42pm

Post #13 of 52 (789 views)
Shortcut
But is Bilge Ebiri [In reply to] Can't Post

talking about DoS or AUJ or just PJ's films in general? The conversation is confusing. From all accounts so far, DoS is definitely not slow.

Or are you still discussing the reaction to AUJ which many LA critics were a bit hard on last year?

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:44pm

Post #14 of 52 (765 views)
Shortcut
There were reports... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of journalists and reviewers collectively speaking their mind of how disappointing they found AUJ to be after one particular screening. In another board some users showed how almost all of the critics who were known to have attended that screening in LA gave AUJ scores way below the average.

IMHO, this was probably just coincidence. It is not like people from other screenings went collectively above the average. But some feared that some group-think mentality hurt the reviews of that particular one.

Unfortunately I cannot find the links anymore.

Foromir
Rivendell

Dec 6 2013, 12:49pm

Post #15 of 52 (782 views)
Shortcut
I actually think this is rather encouraging! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want my Middle-earth films to be all that hasty and the former reactions were implying DoS to be indeed very fast paced and action oriented.

So I welcome this tweet, even if it was meant to be a critic.

In Reply To
@BilgeEbiri @thehighsign I wish someone would show Peter Jackson the meaning of haste.

and it from LA Time writer. LA Time gave AUJ just 50

(This post was edited by Foromir on Dec 6 2013, 12:51pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:50pm

Post #16 of 52 (804 views)
Shortcut
I guess that Twitter conversation can be labelled as "mixed to positive" [In reply to] Can't Post

Matt Patches@misterpatches 14h
If we never see Peter Jackson's Tintin movie, we have Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug as a consolation prize

david ehrlich@davidehrlich 14h
@misterpatches is good, right!

Matt Patches@misterpatches 14h
@davidehrlich It’s… good.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 12:55pm

Post #17 of 52 (798 views)
Shortcut
If you look closely [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure the person who said that hasn't even seen DoS yet. It was Sam Adams (SamuelAAdams) who said that, and he mentions having to drive to see it, so evidently he hasn't watched it.

BartTheBowman
The Shire

Dec 6 2013, 1:26pm

Post #18 of 52 (716 views)
Shortcut
The reviewer is seing this on Monday only [In reply to] Can't Post

might change his mind - and might not
@thehighsign @raypride Im seeing that and SMAUG Monday. Whats the over/under on total endings between the two?

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 52 (657 views)
Shortcut
This tweets are from about 8 hours ago [In reply to] Can't Post

There was screening after that time? I hope you are right.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 2:40pm

Post #20 of 52 (553 views)
Shortcut
Thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounded horrible. Luckily I had off this board in time.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 4:18pm

Post #21 of 52 (459 views)
Shortcut
looks just positive to me [In reply to] Can't Post

what's mixed about that?

demnation
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 4:29pm

Post #22 of 52 (433 views)
Shortcut
Hmm no real indication they are actually talking about DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

They could be talking about the first film. Or not.

Hello!

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Dec 6 2013, 4:55pm

Post #23 of 52 (506 views)
Shortcut
First official review from The Hollywood Reporter [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...-smaug/review/663372

Very positive reaction overall.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 4:59pm

Post #24 of 52 (411 views)
Shortcut
Happy for the EL praise.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the comments on looks and CGI.

He really wasn't a fan of AUJ so that is good news as well.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 6 2013, 5:01pm)

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 5:04pm

Post #25 of 52 (383 views)
Shortcut
OMG thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I should remind you all again that Holly Report only gave AUJ 60 http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/critic-reviews

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.