The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thrain and Gandalf (minor spoilers)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:28pm

Post #1 of 12 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Thrain and Gandalf (minor spoilers) Can't Post

We had that shot in one of the last Vlogs, Thrain leading Gandalf through the dungeons of Dol Guldur. may he helps Gandalf after a conversation to flee from his cage ?! I think they saved that for TaBa and thats why he isnt in DoS ?! Probably he even tells a bit of his backstory with a voiceover as a Flashback ?!
Your thoughts?!

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Dec 5 2013, 10:40pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 11:07pm

Post #2 of 12 (670 views)
Shortcut
I am thinking Thrain is now... [In reply to] Can't Post

...cut completely! The way Peter has taken the story, due to the 3 film split, Thrain is no longer needed.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 11:10pm

Post #3 of 12 (627 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

We wont know until the comments on the EE of Taba but i hope he wont be left
of totally.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 11:14pm

Post #4 of 12 (611 views)
Shortcut
Looks [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Thrain is part of that seemingly massive cutting of the Dol Guldur storyline for book two.
I remember last year we saw those videos of Thrain already and thought he was in Unexpected Journey. Now he's not in this one either.
It looks like we will see some of him in the next film then. Or the EE, but I really think this sort of stuff is theatrical material.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Dec 6 2013, 12:12am

Post #5 of 12 (527 views)
Shortcut
do you think [In reply to] Can't Post

that Thrain may have been cut altogether? I can't see a reason Gandalf would continue to wander round (when he's being led by Thrain as in vlog) Dol Guldur after he is set free, unless it is Thrain who lets him out- but then why were we given footage in trailers of the two of them fighting? This has been a very confusing puzzle to try and put together from the very start and I am very disappointed that we aren't going to find out what they have done with the whole Thrain thing. I hope at the very least they will give an explanation as to why it was cut. I can't find a good reason though. Was so looking fwd to seeing Gandalf get the map and key. DAMN IT!! Really worried about DOS at the moment. There was so much potential for the extra stuff aka dol guldur and I just hope they know what they are doing. I desperately hope (may be a bit strong I know) that Thrain's back story is at least put back into the EE. What do you all think? Please can you help make me feel better about this?? Frown Rant over.

(This post was edited by Greypilgrim on Dec 6 2013, 12:13am)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 6 2013, 12:14am

Post #6 of 12 (499 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they may have decided that Gandalf vs. Thrain followed by the orc ambush and then Sauron might not work well as a chain of events and therefore moved Thrain to TABA, in which he might meet Gandalf in the dungeons, maybe helping Gandalf to find a way out in a less mad moment.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Greypilgrim
Bree

Dec 6 2013, 12:16am

Post #7 of 12 (499 views)
Shortcut
it would have been [In reply to] Can't Post

a waste of there time to film all this stuff just to cut it all wouldn't it? Maybe it has been moved to TBA.....I hope so.

Grant
The Shire

Dec 6 2013, 5:37am

Post #8 of 12 (368 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they recasted the part and I think Antony Sher is played him during reshoots.

Maybe they couldn't make his storyline work.

deskp
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 8:01am

Post #9 of 12 (316 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

Pj always shoots alot of thigns that gets cut. It's jsut how they do these movies.

If they included every scene they shot then the quality of the movie would suffer.

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Dec 6 2013, 8:24am

Post #10 of 12 (387 views)
Shortcut
Relax ... Thrain is in. [In reply to] Can't Post

At 7:53 mins - just past 8 mins, below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oays5TvOgWc

PJ QUOTE: "Because a lot of the pick up scenes are really spanning the second AND THIRD Hobbit movies ..."

Cut to overhead shot of bald Thrain leading Gandalf out of the dungeons while beckoning: "come!"

So ... Thrain clearly rescues Gandalf. But the sequence is now in There and Back Again. It can't be extended edition fodder since Gandalf's escape is obviously essential to the basic plot mecahnics of film three.

Relax. Please?

They wouldn't film more of a sequence in pick ups (which is carefully scheduled specifically to cover the things they really need) only to delete it from both movies.

===

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on Dec 6 2013, 8:30am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 8:30am

Post #11 of 12 (297 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain would be in.You do not hire an actor at the last moment only to cut him off completely.That would make absolutely no sense.I do not understand why is there so much whining about it

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 6 2013, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 12 (225 views)
Shortcut
Thrain is mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILER

Thrain is mentioned in the DOS prologue extensively. I think he was edited out of DOS and saved for TABA sadly. I think his breakout of Dol Guldur would have made for a perfect ending to that storyline in the film.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.