Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your favourite new themes?

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 7:26pm

Post #1 of 19 (689 views)
Shortcut
Your favourite new themes? Can't Post

Iīve listened to the soundtrack today and it is INCREDIBLE! So many wonderful new themes! Howard Shore is a genius!
Two themes in particular stand out for me:
* "Beyond the Forest" - so hauntingly beautiful! Just listen to this piano version of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENh9u1ZpdU
* Also, there is a new theme in "Girion, lord of Dale" and "In the Shadow of the Mountain" that is a kind of solemn hymn, I suppose for Thorin. Do you know what I refer to? It is absolutely incredible!
Canīt wait to hear them in proper emotional context with the Visuals next week!

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 7:39pm

Post #2 of 19 (355 views)
Shortcut
DonHard to pick one [In reply to] Can't Post

I like most of them, although I think if I had to chose it would be Smaug's theme. It is chilling, majestic and powerful and just perfect for a dragon!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 19 (448 views)
Shortcut
New theme in Girion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, there is a new theme in "Girion, lord of Dale" and "In the Shadow of the Mountain" that is a kind of solemn hymn, I suppose for Thorin. Do you know what I refer to? It is absolutely incredible!
Canīt wait to hear them in proper emotional context with the Visuals next week!

I do know which one you mean, and I too am very curious about what it means. A new Thorin theme is certainly a strong possibility, though both it and the original Thorin theme occur in My Armor is Iron, for whatever that might signify.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Dec 5 2013, 7:43pm)

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 7:44pm

Post #4 of 19 (336 views)
Shortcut
Ģ [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you buy the soundtrack yet? I was down in HMV yesterday and looked for it but it wasn't there. Is it on iTunes?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 7:50pm

Post #5 of 19 (328 views)
Shortcut
I love [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Hunters" "Smaug" and "Beyond the Forest"

adnan
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 19 (267 views)
Shortcut
Yes some very good music... [In reply to] Can't Post

I also loved Feast of Starlight.

Rivendell

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 19 (263 views)
Shortcut
I understand the new Dwarven piece is the 'Line of Durin' theme [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love it, it's my favourite new theme.

Subaruman
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 9:33pm

Post #8 of 19 (223 views)
Shortcut
Kingsfoil is now one my favorites out of all 5 films// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:48pm

Post #9 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
The Nature of Evil will be over the part inside the tombs, I am thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

The track The High Fells seems to be a build up to the tombs as opposed to scene inside.

I really love The Forest River, as I'm sure most people will! It's one of the best tracks Howard has done across all films so far.

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 11:29pm

Post #10 of 19 (166 views)
Shortcut
New Bilbo theme? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure about this, but one of my favorites is a new theme you hear at 7:27 in Flies and Spiders, ~1:10 in the forest river, and probably some other places. I am assuming it belongs to Bilbo's heroics in this movie. It was also the little teaser the orchestra was playing at the end of the vlog from yesterday, too. Anyone else have ideas about this theme?

(This post was edited by shadowfaux on Dec 5 2013, 11:31pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 11:34pm

Post #11 of 19 (160 views)
Shortcut
No it's one of the new Wood Elf themes [In reply to] Can't Post

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 11:36pm

Post #12 of 19 (155 views)
Shortcut
Ah, [In reply to] Can't Post

That would make sense, given the context of those moments.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 11:38pm

Post #13 of 19 (167 views)
Shortcut
"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth" [In reply to] Can't Post

but it features also Thranduils theme and I guess it's more likely from that Orc interrogation scene we already saw. Remember Thranduils quote from the trailers? "Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth". So I believe it belongs to this scene. The ending features Azogs theme so I guess we'll have a cut to Azog there.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 11:40pm

Post #14 of 19 (152 views)
Shortcut
You can hear it [In reply to] Can't Post

very prominent in the last track "Beyond the forest" which... for me at least... sounds like a beautiful medley of all new Elf themes.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 12:10am

Post #15 of 19 (153 views)
Shortcut
Smaug, Dwarves, Elves and Beorn - A detailed list [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll buy the special edition tomorrow because it will be out on the 6th December in Germany Smile

Which are my favourite new themes so far?
1.) SMAUGS THEME. Although it was featured in AUJ I really like all the different variations we got on this score. I love the Asian notes which makes it unique.
2.) LAKETOWN THEME and new Dwarf theme
3.) WOODLAND REALM THEMES. Can't decide which one is my favourite... I really like all of them.

Which are my favourite old themes (from AUJ and LOTR)?
1.) THORINS & EREBOR THEME where far more developped this time and are featured in beautiful variations. Both can replace the MISTY MOUNTAINS COLD as the new leitmotif of the Dwarves in this movie
2.) SAURON THEME gives us this darker LOTR sound. I like how the NECROMANCER THEME evolves into the SAURON THEME
3.)
THE ONE RING THEME it's pure nostalgia to have this theme in it too. It appears more often than I'd expected it to be... but I really liked it

Which old theme hopefully re-appears (more) on the special edition soundtrack?
1.) GANDALF THE GREYS THEME only appears very brief on the standard score and even there it's not that obvious. I really like his theme in AUJ and was looking forward to hear more of it.
2.) A little more SHIRE MATERIAL would be nice although I like the lesser use of it. It wasn't that often used in TTT either so I'm fine with it.
3.) I would like to have at least one short glimpse of the MISTY MOUNTAINS COLD at the beginning of DOS. I want a bridge from it to the new Dwarven material.

Which are my favourite tracks so far?

1.) "Inside Information" & "Beyond the Forest"
2.) "The Hunters" & "Flies and Spiders"
3.) "Forest River" & "Spell of Concealment" & "My Armor is Iron"

Which theme deserves a second chance?
Definetely BEORNS THEME. Both tracks it was featured in were very short and I only noticed it after listening to it a couple of times. It didn't stand out that much for me. But I guess after hearing the bonus track "A Necromancer" which is set between "Wilderland" (Beorns first appearance) and "The House of Beorn" I could imagine to hear more of Beorns theme in there. Also do we get one more minute for the "The House of Beorn" track on the special edition... so I'm pretty sure that we'll get more Beorn-material on the special edition. Perhaps even the extended edition of "Mirkwood" may feature more Beorn in the beginning?

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 3:01am

Post #16 of 19 (120 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's theme [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think it is? I couldn't pick anything specific out, but it seems like he's got to have one.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 6 2013, 6:45am

Post #17 of 19 (93 views)
Shortcut
I second this [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't pick out a melody for him either.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 6 2013, 1:37pm

Post #18 of 19 (90 views)
Shortcut
The theme formerly known as Thranduil's [In reply to] Can't Post

One possibility is that the theme that had been called Thranduil's, but which we now know is at most used for the wood elves in general since it plays over the Tauriel/Legolas clip that was released earlier, might actually be something more generic like "The Spirit of Greenwood." It occupies much of The House of Beorn, but has a slightly different quality than elsewhere. So maybe "Beorn's theme" is just a different flavor of the Greenwood theme. It's also possible the track just includes some random leftover bits of scenes with the elves.

Willster1245

Dec 8 2013, 5:31pm

Post #19 of 19 (53 views)
Shortcut
Appearance in an AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this new theme too, and I just realised that it follows the same pattern as the opening section of 'My Dear Frodo' from the AUJ soundtrack. No idea how they link, but could be significant Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.