Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New clip: Courage

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 4:28am

Post #1 of 19 (1608 views)
Shortcut
New clip: Courage Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...hp?v=663542687009494

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Dec 4 2013, 4:34am

Post #2 of 19 (761 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 4 2013, 4:40am

Post #3 of 19 (727 views)
Shortcut
Lovely scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe20
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 4:54am

Post #4 of 19 (680 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is slightly longer than what was shown during Ian Mckellen's appearance on The Daily Show. This one's got the "you'll need it" line.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Dec 4 2013, 4:54am)

Nevrast
Bree

Dec 4 2013, 5:40am

Post #5 of 19 (624 views)
Shortcut
Freeman is so good [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope this movie and TABA are better than AUJ because he's just so so good and deserves it.

Sir Ian too!

(Please nobody get into a debate with me about AUJ. I think it's significantly flawed and you're not going to convince me otherwise.)

AshNazg
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 12:09pm

Post #6 of 19 (469 views)
Shortcut
Gonna offend a few people here. But I don't like McKellen's performance [In reply to] Can't Post

His acting in The Hobbit just isn't up to the standard in Lord of the Rings Frown I feel like he's starting to lose it

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 12:51pm

Post #7 of 19 (417 views)
Shortcut
I have the same feeling, unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think it is great though! His performance in FOTR was fantastic. Could be the script, he has not got that good lines this time around.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Dec 4 2013, 12:52pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 12:55pm

Post #8 of 19 (409 views)
Shortcut
No good lines? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say McKellen had some of the best lines of all ME movies in AUJ including his speech about little people or Bullroarer Took.

But maybe that is just me.

With all his Shakespear acting I actually felt McKellen peaks at the moment in what he can do on both stage and screen... but again, maybe that is just me. Unfortunately I have only seen filmed footage of his stage performances.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 19 (374 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

He had many of the best lines in AUJ imo but they are not the standard of LOTR. I think sir Ian is a brilliant actor, he is bringing Gandalf to life perfectly, do not misunderstand me Tongue this scene is not his best, but I think eventually the blame should fall on the director for guiding the actor and choosing the take.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 1:04pm

Post #10 of 19 (363 views)
Shortcut
Well, that is taste-dependend I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was maybe the best scene Freeman and McKellen had together thus far.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 4 2013, 1:13pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 1:10pm

Post #11 of 19 (362 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant Scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Great!Martin and Ian!

Foromir
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 1:14pm

Post #12 of 19 (343 views)
Shortcut
A matter of taste indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I really consider the acting of Sir Ian in The Hobbit thus far absolutely on par with his work in LotR, if anything even more nuanced. I also agree that this scene in particular is very well done.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 1:24pm

Post #13 of 19 (337 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone above me said. That was a fantastic little scene.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 1:31pm

Post #14 of 19 (343 views)
Shortcut
Even though i love Ian McKellan's Gandalf, [In reply to] Can't Post

and he was one of the things i enjoyed most in AUJ, i do sense something a bit off this time around, like Sir Ian's not quite as invested in TH. To me, though, that works in the series overall-- as Gandalf keeps putting the pieces together, he becomes more invested in the mystery, the journey.

And yes, it probably does have something to do with the story. In The Hobbit, the stakes just aren't as high, the themes not quite as epic. And not as much occasion for grand, eloquent speeches.

But don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no one that i'd rather play the part, or who even can play the part.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 4 2013, 1:39pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 19 (290 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps reconsider that you may be confusing the character with the actor [In reply to] Can't Post

The character of Gandalf has to have some room to evolve throughout the six films. As in a long piece of music, in a good, masterfully composed and performed song, the singer and the instrumentals do not start belting it out loudly at fever pitch right from the beginning. They build up to it as the song progresses.

I believe this is what Sir Ian is doing with the character of Gandalf. When we have all six films we will see his character in its entirety in relation to its journey and evolution. Gandalf is the main character that is across all six films, he has to have nuances and interest and has to be more than one-note, the character needs to start with a foundation and build.

It is an indication how masterful an artist and actor Sir Ian is, that people can mix up what is him with what is his character.

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 3:39pm

Post #16 of 19 (236 views)
Shortcut
I see why you would say that [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of his mannerisms here seem off from Gandalf in LOTR. But I've always considered that as part of a younger and less "mature" Gandalf. The Gandalf in the Hobbit book is quirky and cheesy and a bit childish at times. That was my assessment. So Sir Ian's performance nails the spirit of TH Gandalf.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 4:15pm

Post #17 of 19 (207 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's helped [In reply to] Can't Post

That many or most of Ian's scenes were green screen due to the scaling issues. I don't know about DoS but certain AUJ was and Ian himself said in an interview that he didn't care for having to do acting that way. Maybe this scene was not done that way (most likely not since it's outdoors) but who knows if it was shot all at the same time.

Freeman certainly has no issues whatsoever and his performance thus far in the movies has been flawless. Absolutely outstanding.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 5:51pm

Post #18 of 19 (159 views)
Shortcut
i have absolutely no issue with McKellen/Gandalf in these movies [In reply to] Can't Post

...to the extent that i have no idea what some of you are talking about! but to each his/her own, i guess.

some of the writing in AUJ might not have been quite on par with LotR (a bit apples to oranges, but while i find Thorin's stuff good, it's not as good as Aragorn's, for instance...not yet, anyways), but i do think Bilbo's and Gandalf's stuff was, 100%. the conversation with Bofur, Riddles in the Dark, the pity of Bilbo, the mini-speech after the escape from Goblintown...this is absolutely some of the best (if not THE best) stuff written for the character of Bilbo in the whole series (not to mention Gollum) and Freeman brings a lot to the role. i think McKellen was absolutely perfect, once again, as Gandalf in AUJ and the only reason i can think of for some of the cognitive dissonance here is that maybe it has something to do with us now getting a lot more of the wry Gandalf the Grey that we only got for the first couple acts of FoTR as opposed to the more stately Gandalf the White that was in both TTT and RotK. i also think that in terms of the writing Gandalf's stuff is wonderful and he gets a number of great moments in AUJ, be it the stuff in Bag End or the conversation with Bilbo after the troll hoard or, my favorite, the conversation with Galadriel very cleverly and effectively adapted from the LotR appendices where Gandalf answers the question, "Why the Halfling?" to me, that scene is one of Gandalf's top three best in all of the movies.

Freeman and McKellen are excellent in this DoS clip, i dunno what to say. and i think the writing is great, that low-angle push-in on Gandalf against the grey skey is a beaut, and that dramatic beat with the pause then Bilbo saying that he found his "courage" is as effective and perfect as many a similar Ring-related beat in the LotR movies.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 6:01pm

Post #19 of 19 (144 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. McKellen is in top form throughout AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

At Bag End, he's just as good, if not better, than the Gandalf the Grey we see in FOTR (possibly because we get to see more of Gandalf's playful side with the dwarves), and the "Why the Halfling?" speech (in addition to the White Council scene itself, where McKellen very brilliantly portrays Gandalf's humility and behind-the-scenes political maneuvering) is quite possibly one of McKellen's finest acting moments in the series.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.