Smaug's color?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 2:10am

Post #26 of 38 (167 views)
Shortcut
conclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

john howes yellow browny dark colours are becuase of the lighting, a red would fade to browny then black if there was very little light, of course that is perfectly reasonable.

the only conclusions im coming to are from the picture of smaug on that plane. which is mostly brown. that picture is also meant to be seen in full daylight as i see it and is presented as a fully lit smaug.

im just going in what i can see.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 3 2013, 2:25am

Post #27 of 38 (164 views)
Shortcut
You know I am with you on most things, but considering the range of colours birds [In reply to] Can't Post

fish and reptiles come in here in our own time, I don't really see anything wrong with a distinguising vivid red and gold. Smaug should be MAGNIFICENT, not earthy. lol

In Reply To
I think it might not be the end of the world if smaug is not exactly the colour how you would like him to be.

Cartoon red is imho terrible btw.

So a realistic red-brown-gold whatever is quite perfect.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 3 2013, 2:30am

Post #28 of 38 (159 views)
Shortcut
Red like a tomato? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
unless smaug is anything other than red i will be highly disappointed in this whole franchise

i dont want to hear golden, reddish brown, reflective, camouflage, de aged, anythiung like that, no excuses

smaug has to be a red dragon with a lighter underbelly end of.

So basically, this guy?

I have a feeling you are indeed going to be highly disappointed.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 3 2013, 2:37am

Post #29 of 38 (161 views)
Shortcut
Picture pulled from inside? [In reply to] Can't Post

To be fair, the picture that ended up as a decal on the plane, seems to have been from within Erebor... Hence in a golden light... Will probably look different in sunlight.

And it remains to be seen whether we even get to see Smaug in sunlight until next year B-|

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 3 2013, 2:55am

Post #30 of 38 (147 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I often find that the filmmakers come up with better designs than Tolkien. As great a writer as Tolkien was, he wasn't an experienced or particularly skillful artist.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Dec 3 2013, 3:15am

Post #31 of 38 (139 views)
Shortcut
That's debatable [In reply to] Can't Post

have you viewed his Artist & Illustrator book. There is a great deal of skill displayed in many of his illustrations.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 3 2013, 3:44am

Post #32 of 38 (128 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen many of his drawings and I don't think they're very good, to be honest. The man was a great writer with a great imagination, but there are far better artists out there. So many of the WETA artists, not to mention Alan Lee and John Howe, are more skilled and creative with their artwork. The tower of Orthanc is one example. It's an iconic, evocative image from the films, whereas Tolkien drew a brick wedding cake.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 3:52am

Post #33 of 38 (126 views)
Shortcut
disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've seen many of his drawings and I don't think they're very good, to be honest. The man was a great writer with a great imagination, but there are far better artists out there. So many of the WETA artists, not to mention Alan Lee and John Howe, are more skilled and creative with their artwork. The tower of Orthanc is one example. It's an iconic, evocative image from the films, whereas Tolkien drew a brick wedding cake.

like all great artists, tolkiens drawings and designs are totally unique and individual, and they are from th eman who made all this up so you have to respect that. the hobbit book without tolkiens unique drawings and cover and font design is iconic, someone like john howes paintings you could argue , though skilled are quite generic.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Dec 3 2013, 4:11am

Post #34 of 38 (119 views)
Shortcut
First Trailer Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't he red in the first trailer? I wonder if they changed his color after that. I still can't believe they didn't have Smaug finalized before AUJ was released.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 3 2013, 4:20am

Post #35 of 38 (114 views)
Shortcut
Unique isn't necessarily of quality though [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Tolkien's drawings are unique and he did come up with the ideas, but they simply look like child's work to me. His Smaug drawing, for example, must be one of the least threatening renderings of him out there. I'm really talking about technicality here - as an artist myself, I appreciate a well-drawn picture, regardless of its originality or uniqueness. Tolkien was an enormous talent in many things, just not in the technicalities of drawing (in my opinion), and therefore I have no problem with the filmmakers coming up with more creative designs. I even think the Alan Lee illustrated Hobbit is a better looking book than Tolkien's original.

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 8:53am

Post #36 of 38 (97 views)
Shortcut
The word "often" is key here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I often find that the filmmakers come up with better designs than Tolkien.

I don't disagree Smile It's just that, if Tolkien gave an explicit description of a character, then I'd expect anyone translating his novel to the screen to pay some sort of homage to that description.

Anyway, in my view, you're correct to qualify your statement with "often". If I consider the original trilogy's designs for Aragorn, Legolas, Elrond, Gandalf, Gimli, Saruman, the hobbits, Edoras, Minas Tirith etc I can feel reasonably assured that they all resemble, to a greater or lesser extent, Tolkien's original vision for them.

If, however, I think about this new trilogy's Beorn, Thranduil, Ragagast, Master and Lake Town, I feel reasonably assured they do not Unsure

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 3 2013, 8:59am

Post #37 of 38 (95 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit designs [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I love the designs for Thranduil, the Master, and Laketown, the latter being one of my favorite location designs from this whole franchise. (I don't see why you think Laketown doesn't match the book's description, to be honest.) I agree that Beorn is a little whacky and could have been done better, though I don't think it really ruins anything. Thranduil and the Master are just plain interesting to look at, which to my eyes trumps a need to adhere to the book's descriptions. But I understand why someone would dislike that.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 3 2013, 11:40pm

Post #38 of 38 (62 views)
Shortcut
I actually really like Tolkien's paintings and drawings [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially of things like Beorn's hall, the barrels floating downriver, etc. I have an old print of his painting of Smaug, with the bright red dragon, which depicts a rather childlike image. The dragon is not at all frightening in looks in that painting. Having a scarlet dragon would be a mistake, I feel, and would look too Disneyish.

In Reply To
However, I often find that the filmmakers come up with better designs than Tolkien. As great a writer as Tolkien was, he wasn't an experienced or particularly skillful artist.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.