Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Recommendation: avoid the Hobbit forum if you don't want spoilers!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 2 2013, 5:19am

Post #1 of 25 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Recommendation: avoid the Hobbit forum if you don't want spoilers! Can't Post

The time has come when those who don't want spoilers may seriously want to consider taking a holiday from the Hobbit board until after they've seen the movie.

The world premier is tomorrow, December 2, but there have already been pre-screenings of the movie. Yes, there is a press embargo on all major details and reviews (other than: "I liked it" tweets, etc.) until 12:01 a.m. PST on December 8. However, as we've seen in the past day or two, worldwide marketing is revealing quite a few details on its own.

As I mentioned a few days ago, just by hanging out on the Hobbit forum last year in the last week or two before the world-wide release of AUJ, I pretty much knew most major and minor plot points before I saw the movie. Now, I'm okay with that, but if you're not, you should seriously consider a holiday from this board. If you do hang out here in the next few weeks, please don't insist on spoiler tags as they'll pretty much be meaningless as more and more people here see the movie and want to discuss it.

For those who still want to keep up on general Hobbit news, but don't want to be completely spoiled, check out DanielLB's weekly Hobbit news update thread on Main. He marks each linked thread with a descriptive title as well as whether it contains spoilers.

We're in the home stretch, everyone! Very exciting, but dangerous here on this forum for anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled before they see the movie.

Consider yourselves duly warned! Cool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 2 2013, 5:21am)

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Dec 2 2013, 10:25am

Post #2 of 25 (548 views)
Shortcut
That is quite sensible advice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which shouldn't really need to be said! I mean it should be quite obvious that if one doesn't want to know about a major film plotline, don't read forums about it Smile I must say that I personally have never minded in anything knowing a bit about a film/book before I see/read it. I always find something I didn't know. But a strange thing about spoilers is when can you have a free discussion about a piece of fiction. Can I give away the plot of a shakespeare play for example written around 400 years ago? I have noticed that there are a lot of comments about spoilers about the Hobbit, yet in the Lotr forums no-one seems too bothered about this!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 2 2013, 1:24pm

Post #3 of 25 (478 views)
Shortcut
LotR has been out in full for a decade [In reply to] Can't Post

so no book plot points could be spoilers for fans of the LotR movies, whether or not the LotR movie fans have read the books.

On the other hand, 2 of 3 Hobbit movies are not out yet, and there are book plot points that a reasonable person would have to consider major spoilers for movies 2 and 3. A movie fan who has not read the books, would have these incidents spoiled for them in the upcoming films.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 2:34pm

Post #4 of 25 (425 views)
Shortcut
You're just trying to drive us away! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a secret and sinister plot, I say.

Storm the barricades!! Bring up the wolf's head.

Grond! Grond! Grond! Grond!

Ahem!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 2 2013, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 25 (436 views)
Shortcut
annoyed [In reply to] Can't Post

not only would you have to avoid this forum, but also the whole internet!

though i blame myself for any spoilers i sneek on here, to see smaug on my twitter feed and my facebook feed, not just a little bit, but close ups! i think is really bad,

what was the point of keeping smaug a secret, no posters, no merchandise, if we get him appear on an advertisement!!!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 2 2013, 3:02pm

Post #6 of 25 (426 views)
Shortcut
I think where I am dismayed about being spoiled... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is usually when it happens when I least expected it.

For example, I had plans to read Half Blood Prince during my upcoming vacation so I was avoiding all discussion of Harry Potter in the interim.... knowing there was a huge event that happened and not wanting to be spoiled. On a LOST forum, in a discussion that had nothing to do with Harry Potter, someone spoiled me. Their rationale was, the book has been out for months they should be able to talk about it. My counterpoint was, I had NO CLUE they were going to talk about a Harry Potter spoiler on a LOST forum so I had no choice. (When I read the post, I actually hit 'back' on my browser in some kind of crazy attempt to 'unsee it'.)

Another time, I clicked on a thread here on Off Topic with a very vague ambiguous title only to find it discussing current events in a running TV show I would watch later on DVD. If the title had identified the show, I wouldn't have clicked on. I don't need to be told spoilers to know I will likely be spoiled if I read it. I just need to know what the topic of the thread is to make a choice.

For any major plot point for a book or movie, no matter how long ago it came out, I like to not flash it at an unsuspecting viewer without warning and some buffer so they don't 'see' it until they've made the choice to see it. That is kind of loose guideline but it can serve us all well in many situations.

It's not that hard to do and it seems a courtesy.

If I click on a thread that says, "Here's what I think," and then realize they're talking about subject X which I don't want to explore, I've been given no warning as to what the topic is, even. Sometimes, it's a simple as declaring your topic - without any real detail - so people can pick and choose their topics.

Sometimes it's an extension of that to say 'book spoilers' or 'spoilery speculations'.

I think it's also takes knowing your audience, so to speak... your community. On the LOTR board, the intention is we are retrospectively analyzing a movie. We can expect, and I think it's the case, that everyone has seen the movie. And although some aspects of the book may differ from the movie such that having watched the movie won't have revealed those details from the book for non-book readers - having seen the movie means one has gotten the entire story and a revelation of a book detail doesn't 'spoil' the experience of following the story from start to finish. We've all gotten to the finish.

I would not be as happy if, in a discussion of LOTR, someone revealed - without warning - a significant plot point or ending to another movie or book that the regular members of that board might not have seen/read.

Our community here on the Hobbit board is considerable larger and more varied than the community on the LOTR movie board. With some small effort on our parts, we can help members of our community to make choices as to what they read or not by labeling threads with a hint at the topic and by providing some buffer when writing something spoilers.

by that I mean... if you want to make a statement about a certain book detail that hasn't yet appeared in the movies and you think might be a surprise to people who haven't read the book... then say "Book Spoilers" ... hit enter a few times with some periods since the forum deletes too many blank lines

then write the spoiler so the spoiler isn't immediately following the warning. :-)

another trick for those who care to use it, you can code the color of your font to the hex # : eeeeee

That makes the font color the same color as the post background (note, it does not hide the font if one is replying to the post with the #eeeeee code.

For example, hidden text - highlight to read >>>> This text was hidden by using the hex code eeeeee <<<<<

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Old Toby
Gondor

Dec 2 2013, 3:25pm

Post #7 of 25 (376 views)
Shortcut
Good thoughts, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading the warning about spoilers from now on, I was considering avoiding this forum. But I adore this forum, so would hate to be completely off it for the next few weeks. I think you have a good idea about putting the 'book spoilers' title in the subject line, so people would know beforehand whether they wanted to read a thread or not. Sometimes it's easy to click on a thread, start reading the first post, then regret you've read it, but of course by then it's too late. Since there are a few fortunate folks out there who get to see DOS before it's even released to the public, and since they might be talking about it here even in some vague way, it would be nice to have 'movie spoilers' in the subject line as well. But of course not everyone would do that, so....

Unfortunately the safest way to avoid spoiling yourself is to avoid this forum altogether. sigh. (Which I probably won't do, but I'm going to try not to read any threads that even remotely sound like they might refer to the film's content. I've read the book a multitude of times, so I have no worries there.)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 4:09pm

Post #8 of 25 (371 views)
Shortcut
will leave today (probably).....but endless thanks to TORn + members [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree this forum, as well as IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, even major news sites and any other place like FB where people are going to chatter are too dangerous for me, in that re spoilers I am right where I want to be - I know very general details of the quest, and some specific scenes I am looking forward to.

But avoided anything marked spoiler, so I don't really know what Smaug looks like. I don't know how the movie ends. I don't know to what degree the elves chase the dwarves. I don't know why Thorin puts a sword to Bilbo. I don't know if Tauriel finds Kili attractive, tho that was rumored. I don't know how things between Bard and Thorin get tense. I don't know how Thorin ends up fleeing from an explosion, etc.

And that's right where I want to be until midnight the 13th. Love, love AUJ and think I will love DOS - since we are in the home stretch I think about what a LONG year it's been to see my beloved dwarves, hobbit, and PJ's glorious vision of ME again. So thank you, thank you TORn and all the posters who put up cool stuff that was like an oasis in the desert at times, and for definitely being the best ME site online, w/o all the trolls etc.. Can't count the times a new link to some incredible images, banners, articles brightened the day up. Great interviews as well. TORn has been like hanging out in Lothlorien until Durin's Day and the mountain is within sight - a place of succor, LOL. Feels unreal DOS is almost here, but fabulous too!

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 2 2013, 4:11pm

Post #9 of 25 (340 views)
Shortcut
Hope you'll be back once you've seen it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 4:36pm

Post #10 of 25 (318 views)
Shortcut
Thank you - I shall! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just really hear what Altaira is saying - I've been in situations where I knew the entire film going in, but I don't remember caring that I knew - re DOS I really care, I want to experience it with all that unknowing (more or less) joy I felt for AUJ - when I was just transported - and, well, became a dwarf fanatic, and a Hobbit maniac *grins*. And do believe even w. embargoes etc. there are just too many folks out there who think it's "funny" to ruin things for others - like the carload of folks who drove up to an HP book release line yelling "Dumbledore dies" and there were all these little kids in line - true story, and NOT funny.

Will miss the forum - whether there are different opinions or not, the posters here are great, I have learned a lot and seen things in AUJ and the vblogs that I never would have spotted, or thought differently about things, or just gotten some great laughs, all thanks to TORn posters.

Will just have to content myself watching the trailers and framing up my new Hobbit poster - maybe I'll go see Catching Fire since it's the same theater as the double feature - and get to see the DOS trailer again on a big screen, too. (Notice, CF is the biggest movie in the world right now, and I am practically yawning.....all to me just filler until DOS!)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 4:36pm

Post #11 of 25 (330 views)
Shortcut
I hope I can be as strong willed as you will (probably) be! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind still images so much, as long as there aren't too many. However, I don't want any of the specific plot details of the film to be revealed (to me).

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 4:48pm

Post #12 of 25 (312 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to try - images don't bother me, but I am afraid of titles of posts, and other sites of course don't even bother to moderate. But I will take up the suggestion of checking the main TORn page.

And I will try to check out the premiere and stuff on the official Hobbit page (figure WB and PJ will clamp down hard there). And, I will be on a constant hunt for a high resolution image of the French Thorin poster, which must be going up in various locations by now in France.

Will just have to be like a great eagle for a while, circling at distance. It'll feel odd tho, the forum was such a help during the long dry wait when it hardly seemed like a movie was even coming out, and every time AUJ ended I couldn't wait for what happened next. But what is it Aragorn says in LOTR about "one who cannot cast a treasure away at need?" And as a follower of the Heirs of Durin, I must embrace the strength and will of the dwarves!

Above all, for all the members of TORn and Hobbit fans around the the world, hope all have a wonderful, magical time opening weekend - felt during the fan event, and opening weekend, we are all part of something very special.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Dec 2 2013, 4:57pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 4:53pm

Post #13 of 25 (302 views)
Shortcut
Indeed… [In reply to] Can't Post

However,

'Will just have to be like a great eagle for a while, circling at distance.'

Note that eagles have great eyesight. Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2013, 4:54pm

Post #14 of 25 (317 views)
Shortcut
I feel withdrawal symptoms setting in already :( [In reply to] Can't Post

But I had already been slowly reducing the amount of time I spend on here as the premier got closer so I'll be fine. Maybe. I guess.Crazy Seriously though I don't want too many more spoilers so I'm fine with avoiding this board for a couple weeks.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 2 2013, 5:01pm

Post #15 of 25 (301 views)
Shortcut
A little bit! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to be a liiiiitle bit spoilt.Not much.Not major plot points.Just some minor.I have a hard time on concentrating on my work these days and i ll be more relaxed if i learn a few things that happen in the movieLaughCrazy

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 5:05pm

Post #16 of 25 (285 views)
Shortcut
Whoops [In reply to] Can't Post

Too true! LOL, eagles are out (and I'm shamefully weak esp. where Thorin/dwarves are concerned.....) Hmmm - best be like a hobbit then, tending my *very cluttered* house and letting the world go by, even if the Shire has evil (in the form of snarky, spoilery comments) slowly gathering all around.

If ever there was a good time for me to get a cold or something that made me sleep a lot through the coming weekend, it would be now. Then have a rapid recovery for the double feature, of course.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 2 2013, 5:08pm

Post #17 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
NDA [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious; are people who didn't like it (hypothetical people, of course Wink) allowed to say so before the embargo lifts?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 2 2013, 5:08pm

Post #18 of 25 (277 views)
Shortcut
or... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like a Hobbit that is riding an Eagle as it circles high overhead. ;-) I hope the wait goes quickly for you, away from here!

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 25 (275 views)
Shortcut
Glad I'm not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually impatient with work at the moment, as tho somehow it's keeping me from the Hobbit/DOS. So I tell myself it it is, after all, "just a movie" - except it's not, it's a world created and one I have desperately missed.

Yep, I'm a Hobbit geek, and proud of it. Got the Hobbit wallpaper and the Erebor keychain (and pen). The best thing about work is that it pays for my Hobbit goodies, LOL - and my double feature ticket.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 5:27pm

Post #20 of 25 (266 views)
Shortcut
oh no...... [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmmm, I am failing miserably here, from the dungeons of Mordor to Lothlorien to the highest peaks of ME when I think about it all the denizens of ME probably spread news including the birds. Perhaps I can pretend to be a long-neglected prisoner of Thranduil, stuck in the Mirkwood prison and too overcome with mushroom spores to even know my own name - and I don't speak Elvish, so even if guards chatter I won't understand any of it.....

yep, that will work (except when Thorin and dwarves show up, which will snap me back to clarity pretty quickly, only to be overcome with the majesty and left behind unconscious on the floor LOL.....)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 2 2013, 7:15pm

Post #21 of 25 (224 views)
Shortcut
I will try too, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My experience is that it will catch up to you somehow. I mean, people are careless sometimes. I have myself thrown out spoilers to friends when I didn't think twice about it, and it can easily happen when something has been "common knowledge" in your mind for so long while this may not be true for others.

For instance, I'm going to the midnight screening on the 10th with 11 other friends. I know these people are going to discuss in great length everything they've read about the movie and the latest rumours and reviews about it, it's a part of building up the hype together for this very long anticipated movie. Of course, you could explicitly tell them not to talk about anything Hobbit-related but that may ruin the speculation-fun a bit. I am after all one of 12 in a group and can't demand everyone to bend to my will...

I have sort of given up in that regard to try to be 100% spoiler free - now I will get a little bit spoiled and be OK with it, I've accepted this. It's a bit like watching a football game in World Cup the day after it was played. Even if you tell everyone that you don't want to know how it ended, chances are huge that you will find out anyway. Just my thoughts. Smile

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 2 2013, 7:17pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2013, 9:36pm

Post #22 of 25 (193 views)
Shortcut
suddenly I feel normal again [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I've felt the exact same way about my college work lately and I'm already such a procrastinator that my new-found geekdom hasn't helped much. Thank goodness I'm can still force myself to focus enough that my grades haven't suffered. Thankfully my current semester ends on the 13th, the day of the DOS release! I'll have my entire Christmas break to geek-out as much as I want and I won't have to worry about assignments being due when I go to see the movie with my family! Yay! Actually, the pressure of the final two weeks of class will help distract me from my Hobbit withdrawal.

hutch
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 4:26am

Post #23 of 25 (214 views)
Shortcut
If there is indeed an embargo until the 8th then... [In reply to] Can't Post

...nobody told the WB interviewer. Dude was spilling beans to even actors who hadn't seen it yet. I was quick on the draw with my MUTE button. See ya'll Dec 13th. But I'm so glad Howard Shore showed up! Means they probably actually used his music this time around. Angelic

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

sphdle1
Gondor

Dec 29 2013, 4:29pm

Post #24 of 25 (41 views)
Shortcut
Altaira, does this warning still hold ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that DOS is here, does your warning still hold for the final movie, or should people be providing 'proper' spoiler alerts with regard to the final movie (at least up until a few weeks prior to its premier), so as not to spoil the last movie for those of us who only watch the movies and never read the book?

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Wilfred
Bree

Dec 29 2013, 5:08pm

Post #25 of 25 (68 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler Management [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my first post and this is most certainly not the best kind of discussion for me to get embroiled in so early but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the volume of discussion on this site and this particular issue is something I think is important.

I'm a Tolkien fan so I've read the books and I know what's what (notwithstanding Peter Jackson's frequent deviations from 'canon', which may well result in changes to the exact timing and circumstances of the death of certain characters); I'm also a spoiler whore so it doesn't bother me who says what about the third film. I do, however, appreciate that some (most?) people who pay twelve or fifteen quid for a cinema ticket want to experience the films the way the director intended them to, surprises and twists intact, but, as fans, also want to be involved in discussions about them. I also appreciate that it's pretty difficult to censure discussion about a book that was published three quarters of a century ago.

Of those contrasting opinions, I think it's surely the best policy to at least try to protect the experience of these films, for which most members here would profess affection, for those who don't know how things turn out in the end. That's just basic decency, isn't it? 'There and Back Again' is the last chance some people will get to see anything like this for the first time. IMHO, that opportunity shouldn't be spoiled for them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.