The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"You see we're gonna keep the vlogs coming..."

Pousette
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 8:32pm

Post #1 of 24 (1449 views)
Shortcut
"You see we're gonna keep the vlogs coming..." Can't Post

"...thick and fast now, between this point and the release.

HA! Laugh

So... any guesses or indications when "Pickups Pt. 2" might appear?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 9:01pm

Post #2 of 24 (786 views)
Shortcut
It's been talked about quite a bit around here [In reply to] Can't Post

The general conclusion is that PJ's definition of "soon" or "thick and fast" is much different than ours.

I wonder if it's possible that we might get Pt. 2 on the day of the premier Dec 2 or possibly even tomorrow. It might build some excitement.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 9:41pm

Post #3 of 24 (688 views)
Shortcut
Premier [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't we get a vlog following the premier of AUJ last year? or am I remembering incorrectly?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2013, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 24 (649 views)
Shortcut
Your memory is good ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

We got a vlog on 24th November, which focused on the post-production process. Vlog 10 followed on 14th December after the Wellington Premiere.

In contrast to this year, the AUJ Wellington Premiere was on 27th November. Perhaps another vlog is imminent.

But it is so close to the film now, that we can all wait a little longer. Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 30 2013, 9:48pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 24 (642 views)
Shortcut
We're mere mortals... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a year to us is as the blink of an eye to Peter Jackson Cool

Honestly, I've stopped watching the vlogs, TV spots, etc. The sneak peek was the last thing I saw. It was enough to tell me the movie will be awesome. I don't want to be spoiled any more. So I'm cool with no more vlogs.

In any case, I think PJ will time it with the premiere so that fans can have something to get excited about between the premiere and the general release.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 24 (584 views)
Shortcut
The problem is [In reply to] Can't Post

That there's really only one way to understand "thick and fast until the premiere", and it does not include getting nothing between then and now.

Honestly, he should just not promise us anything and then we wouldn't be expecting anything.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 24 (538 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much. Maybe the Warners forbade it???? Either two come out between [In reply to] Can't Post

tonight and next Wednesday, or I think it becomes fair to call BS on Peter regarding this matter.

In Reply To
That there's really only one way to understand "thick and fast until the premiere", and it does not include getting nothing between then and now.

Honestly, he should just not promise us anything and then we wouldn't be expecting anything.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 11:28pm

Post #8 of 24 (497 views)
Shortcut
I think the way to look at it is not as a promise.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but a statement of intent. He wants to do more than he has time for.

How often have you said 'yes, I'll do that', and really meant to, but found that there just wasn't enough time? And if you never have, I admire and envy you but I can't match you. Because wanting to do more than I can manage is the story of my life, and looking at the way Peter Jackson works, I'm guessing he's the same. He's a last-minuter. I reckon it wouldn't matter how long you gave him, he'd still be trying to improve on the film right down to the wire, and running out of time for all the other things he means to do. So maybe, when he says this or that will happen very soon, don't take it as a promise, but just as something he will do if he can.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 11:59pm

Post #9 of 24 (470 views)
Shortcut
The joke's on you for taking anything Peter says seriously... [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2013, 5:08am

Post #10 of 24 (342 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. But I still don't expect to get anything between now and then. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2013, 5:28am

Post #11 of 24 (350 views)
Shortcut
Intent [In reply to] Can't Post

I really do wish I could look at it from that point of view, dormouse. And I absolutely understand that people (myself included) say things with the intent to do them and then something goes awry. But this isn't the first time such a thing has happened with PJ. I sincerely think he's a genuinely nice guy, but I also just wish he'd either stop promising things or follow through with them.

I also want to say that I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon or to rain on anyone's parade. AUJ was not my cup of tea (though it is beginning to grow on me, especially the EE), so I fear I've come off as rather a complainer this past year. I know you love the film, and it can be quite discouraging when people don't enjoy something as much as yourself. (Believe me, I know; I happen to love the Star Wars prequels.) But you've been such a sport, always optimistic and civil. I'm very much looking forward to DOS, and I can't wait to get back here once I have and discuss it with those such as yourself. Smile

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 7:25am

Post #12 of 24 (335 views)
Shortcut
You're absolutely right [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm such a gullible fool! Evil

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 7:54am

Post #13 of 24 (322 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I also think that maaaybe he should stop making promises. It's a common thing about bloggers and vloggers to promise that there will be some more activity soon, just to keep the crowd watching. ("Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back.") But it's beginning to get just a little bit annoying. A bit like the boy who cried wolf.

Also I agree on your view on AUJ and, OMG yes, the Star Wars prequels.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 7:56am

Post #14 of 24 (313 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Maybe he has taken a sip too much of the ent-draught? / [In reply to] Can't Post

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 1 2013, 8:01am

Post #15 of 24 (315 views)
Shortcut
"Thick and fast" was perhaps the wrong way to put it [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see at least two vlogs between now and release. A good amount, yes, but certainly not overwhelming.

...and, blech, the prequels. I've never been more disappointed by a film than The Phantom Menace, that's for certain. I'm not sure I can understand liking them and not AUJ; all of those films have the complaints leveled against AUJ times one thousand...plus Hayden Christensen and Jar-Jar. That they followed an arguably even more influential trilogy than LOTR is even worse. Laugh But that's not for here.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 1 2013, 8:03am)

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 1 2013, 8:32am

Post #16 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I get the feeling of a sense of entitlement going on here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we should take the vblogs as they come, as after all these are a free bonus on top of the $10-15 we pay for the movie and the $20-30 we pay for the DVD. PJ is very generous indeed in finding the time to do these. When the film is out (next week) he will have some time to post some more if he likes. Note there is no special reason why they should be posted before the film - unless you are looking for spoilers, which you shouldn't be. Also WB may have some say in this as well!!!!

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 11:26am

Post #17 of 24 (268 views)
Shortcut
I don't think anyone feels ungrateful for the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

We are just saying that he shouldn't keep teasing us, without scheduling their publication =)

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 11:27am

Post #18 of 24 (271 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I'm just very hard to disappoint [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I appreciate both AUJ and TPM Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2013, 2:47pm

Post #19 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

The worst of the Star Wars prequels is Episode 3 anyway...
TPM is ok and is mostly dragged down with episode 2 and 3 because it belongs in the same trilogy

On topic:
We are all greatful for the vlogs we're given, but ungreatful of all the unfufilled promises from PJ!
We understand that WB might have a say in it, and that PJ is busy making a film, but he should take that into account before promising us anything!
He might say something like that we MIGHT get a new vlog or two if we're LUCKY Smile
Anyway, I respect the man for the movies he have made and I am really looking forward to DoS!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 4:45pm

Post #20 of 24 (223 views)
Shortcut
Great summary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, ep. II was my least favourite... just felt like a filler.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Dec 1 2013, 5:11pm

Post #21 of 24 (227 views)
Shortcut
A few weeks is merely the blink of an eye for a mortal. I'm patient I can wait! *flops onto sofa* [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's all take Thranduil's attitude, guys! Laugh

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 1 2013, 11:02pm

Post #22 of 24 (200 views)
Shortcut
It is valid to feel entitled once someone agrees to do something. Entitlement for things [In reply to] Can't Post

that you desire but no one has committed to are another matter. Yet, when someone says, "I am going to do this for you," well, whether you earned it or not, word is bond, if it can be reasonably fulfilled.

In Reply To
...we should take the vblogs as they come, as after all these are a free bonus on top of the $10-15 we pay for the movie and the $20-30 we pay for the DVD. PJ is very generous indeed in finding the time to do these. When the film is out (next week) he will have some time to post some more if he likes. Note there is no special reason why they should be posted before the film - unless you are looking for spoilers, which you shouldn't be. Also WB may have some say in this as well!!!!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 2 2013, 3:08am

Post #23 of 24 (185 views)
Shortcut
...perhaps it cannot be reasonably fulfillied [In reply to] Can't Post

...as word is his bond on a freebie - spare us!!! ...they will come when they 'can be reasonably fulfilled', I am sure of it, and that is PJ's call no-one elses!!! and if it is later than he suggeted then so be it.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 2 2013, 3:54am

Post #24 of 24 (182 views)
Shortcut
That is quite possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

It, of course, is polite to generally inform if the terms of an agreement can no longer be meant due to extenuating circumstance. You need not beg to be spared, I doubt anyone is going to smite you for someone else failing to do something they said they would do, if indeed he has failed thus (technically, I suppose he has another week in which to make good). Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.