Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to post-feeding frenzy, shop-til-you-drop Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 3:09pm

Post #51 of 63 (91 views)
Shortcut
Definitely put it on the list. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least a little bottle until you know if you like it. It's a great alternative for people like me who can't stand chocolate and mint together. We had it one year on a ski trip and it was so cozy after skiing. It warms you up quite nicely!

Enjoy the movie! I heard it's pretty good.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

(This post was edited by AlassŽa Eruvande on Nov 30 2013, 3:10pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 7:06pm

Post #52 of 63 (94 views)
Shortcut
Send all your chocolate-mint devil food to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll find a good home for it. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 7:42pm

Post #53 of 63 (79 views)
Shortcut
I like making applesauce [In reply to] Can't Post

but I just cut the apples into quarters or thirds, peel and all, then after they have cooked down, I have a strainer-type thing with a handle that squeezes out all the apple pulp and leaves the core, seeds and peel behind. Then that pulp gets cooked down a bit more. I add cinnamon and a little lemon juice too.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 7:43pm

Post #54 of 63 (81 views)
Shortcut
It's really good on toast too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 30 2013, 8:45pm

Post #55 of 63 (85 views)
Shortcut
I had one of those things, too [In reply to] Can't Post

but when sorting out items in a too cramped kitchen, I'm fairly sure it left the house. If not, it's stored in some hidden corner. I find lots of things stored in some hidden corner and I run across them every 7 years.

I also had one of those corer/peeler machines dernwyn talked about.

That left decades ago. :-)

Our house isn't tiny but it's not overly large and it has a scarcity of cupboards and storage space.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2013, 2:47am

Post #56 of 63 (77 views)
Shortcut
well, I got the brooch from etsy [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a lot of price/item comparison on etsy and eBay. And I did some basic research on cameos. Then I looked at the little antique shop around the corner. They had a number of cameos but not that caught my eye for less money. So I placed the order.

It was funny. I angst over things so much. I was working through all the pros and cons of this with my husband and he just kept say, 'M... place the order.' I've give another con vs pro and he'd repeat, 'M... just place the order'. He must have said it 4 times!

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Dec 1 2013, 7:10am

Post #57 of 63 (71 views)
Shortcut
"unholy alliance?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I guess I'll just share my mint chocolate Christmas cookies with Ataahua then! Wink

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 1 2013, 4:49pm

Post #58 of 63 (62 views)
Shortcut
for me it's peanut butter and chocolate [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them both separately, but somehow, together they are just wrong.

Mint always makes me think I'm eating toothpaste, but that doesn't stop me from eating mint-chocolate. But I agree with AE, chocolate + caramel, now that is heavenly. Especially if the caramel is salted.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 1 2013, 4:56pm

Post #59 of 63 (58 views)
Shortcut
shopping [In reply to] Can't Post

My family does a Secret Santa where the adults draw names and only buy for one other adult, so it makes life much less insane. The kids, of course, get presents from all of us, but there are only three grands so that's not hard. We do get very inventive with the stocking stuffers!

I live in a tourist town which has banned all franchise stores, so what we have here are a bunch of little boutique stores, many of which sell stuff by local artists. This means that 1. they offer unique merchandise and 2. shopping there supports people who live here. Plus, the stores are fun. We basically have one downtown street with a few stores just steps off it, so it's as easy to shop as in a mall but much more pleasant. Friends & family from the big city often come here just to shop. I can wander in and out of all the stores in under two hours - and then go to Pippa's Real Tea for a cup of properly brewed tea by the fire and one of her excellent gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.

I will buy online if the person whose name I got has requested a specific item, but all the kids' stuff and the stocking stuffers come from here.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 1 2013, 7:33pm

Post #60 of 63 (47 views)
Shortcut
Well, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just have to find someone else to share my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies with as well! I like salted caramel chocolate too, I don't discriminate when it comes to chocolate - it's all good! Sly

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 1 2013, 8:15pm

Post #61 of 63 (65 views)
Shortcut
I've been frustrated [In reply to] Can't Post

by local stores who haven't helped me spend money - one outright refusing to let me order through their shop - which has made me go online to purchase instead. And in the last fortnight we've had stories in the local paper about stores closing because of online competiton! I'm willing to spend a bit more to support bricks-and-mortar stores but some shop owners are hamstringing themselves with their 'service'.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 2 2013, 5:27pm

Post #62 of 63 (38 views)
Shortcut
we've got one like that [In reply to] Can't Post

We have two bookstores, one a used-book store (where you can sell back yours & get credit, so I love it) and one that sells only new books. The guy who owns the "new" store is surly and uninterested in helping people find what they need. He does stock local writers and books about local history, natural history, etc., and the children's section is pretty good, but otherwise his selection is limited. So amazon does get a lot of my book business (but I always check the used book store first!).

I hope the independent bookstores survive. You don't browse for books online, you buy only what you were after. But in a bookstore, who knows what will catch your eye?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2013, 2:26am

Post #63 of 63 (29 views)
Shortcut
I'm horribly late! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I just had to come and give EVERYONE a HUG. I don't know what my days would be like without TORn and all of you who share my love for Tolkien and for Jackson's films. I'm so thankful for the freedom I feel every day knowing you "get it" :)

*massive hug* Thank you Calisuri, Tehanu, Corvar, and Xoanon for giving us this ultra-special hidey-hole to play in... and for our patient, supportive, and lovely Admins for keeping us safe and sound... and for sibbies one and all. I have had more fun in the past nearly 12 years than all my years before!

Blessings! *skips off merrily*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
2nd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - Novembe 28, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.