Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which grammar/spelling/punctuation error do you make most on the forum?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which grammar/spelling/punctuation error do you make most on the forum?
Your/You're
Its/It's
There/Their/They're
Affect/Effect
Fewer/less
Too much punctuation (.,/!?)
Not enough punctuation (,,/!?)
General apostrophe usage (1990's, her's ...)
Just poor grammar/spelling/punctuation in general
Other (please specify)
Option C
Grammer mesteaks? Im purfect.
I'll edit my post until no typos remain.
View Results (64 votes)

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 4:49pm

Post #51 of 61 (188 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

My Office spell check is set to UK English, but on my gmail account it defaults to US English, so is always trying to correct my spelling.Mad Mind you, American spelling is so much easier than British for many words for example, we use "manoeuvre" whereas Americans use "maneuver".CrazyWhat do you use in NZ, Starling? American or British? Or is there another variant down under?

Misto
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 6:44pm

Post #52 of 61 (184 views)
Shortcut
Erratic punctuation [In reply to] Can't Post

I can try to excuse myself with not being a native speaker, but the truth is: my punctuation is just as erratic in my mother tongue. There, the rules changed why I was in primary school - not cool, and I never really got as grasp of the proper (new) rules. I keep joking that I simply write a sentence and then scatter commas randomly over it.
Also, I'm quite a typo-queen.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 7:03pm

Post #53 of 61 (195 views)
Shortcut
It's UK English in NZ, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think Australian English is influenced by or follows US English. Can any Aussie TORNadoes comment?

acheron
Gondor

Dec 1 2013, 2:20pm

Post #54 of 61 (176 views)
Shortcut
Random misspellings [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't usually mix up similar words -- there/they're/their, etc. -- but I have trouble spelling some words. ("relevant" comes to mind -- a lot of times I will write "relevent". Also "necessary".) Usually the browser spell-check notifies me and I fix it, but sometimes I miss. Smile

Sometimes my grammar is not, let's say, hyper-correct, but that's usually on purpose. (Or so I will claim.)

Sam20
Lorien

Dec 2 2013, 9:00pm

Post #55 of 61 (156 views)
Shortcut
English [In reply to] Can't Post

I make a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes on this board and anywhere for that matter! I've no choice to Edit my messages a couple of time to improve it. English is not my first language and I learned self-taught about 2 and a half years ago reading books and watching TV. So, I kind of learned by memory and patterns recognition. Needless to say that my English is far from perfect and needs much polishing.

But it's great that people here have been understanding of that, as we are many International ringers aboard that may not master the language perfectly. But yeah, I am getting better with every message I guess! :)

(This post was edited by sam90 on Dec 2 2013, 9:04pm)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2013, 11:28pm

Post #56 of 61 (165 views)
Shortcut
Sam90, [In reply to] Can't Post

your posts are much easier to read than many by native English speakers. I suspect that's because you care about being understood clearly and about getting things right.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 9:29pm

Post #57 of 61 (117 views)
Shortcut
Typos [In reply to] Can't Post

I generally use the right words, my spelling is pretty accurate, and so is my English grammar. My typing skills, on the other hand...not so good. So my mistakes tend to be random and the consequence of mistyping something and not noticing until it is too late.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2013, 3:19am

Post #58 of 61 (115 views)
Shortcut
Luckily for the communication between my brain and my fingers, spelling errors are underlined [In reply to] Can't Post

If that were not the case, spelling would be my main problem. This is both because of fingers not hitting the right keys in the right order, and because there are some words I can simply never get correct (like referred)

As it is, I expect the mistake that I make the most without noticing is fewer/less. Also their/there/they're, not because I don't know when each is used, but because they are all used so frequently that my fingers often just decide they know what they are doing without consulting my brain. Tongue
(Which sounds like exactly what you were describing Daniel)

As for other options, I rarely edit my posts to make sure I don't have run-on sentences... and I'm sure they are abundant.

(This post was edited by Oiotári on Dec 6 2013, 3:19am)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 28 2013, 5:19pm

Post #59 of 61 (95 views)
Shortcut
the print journalists are driving me nuts lately [In reply to] Can't Post

with their new trend of putting commas around proper names. As in: "Artist, Leonardo da Vinci, painted the Mona Lisa . . ." I see it everywhere and I just want to scream. The grad students whose papers I edit are starting to pick it up, and I explain to each one why it's wrong, but I feel like Canute trying to hold back the tide.

(NOTE: you only put commas around a name if it isn't NECESSARY to the thought. You may write "His wife, Mary, also feels that . . ." because it works to write "His wife also feels that . . ." But in the instance I gave above, "Artist painted the Mona Lisa" does not work.)

AriesT
Bree

Dec 28 2013, 7:17pm

Post #60 of 61 (91 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

... Furthermore, I never get the 's stuff done correctly. I always write Bilbos bad, Smaugs Einöde, Gandalfs hat. I always forget about the '
Plus, of course, messing around with the tense (past, present, past perfect) all the time without noticing it at all.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 13 2014, 11:28pm

Post #61 of 61 (92 views)
Shortcut
My grammar is a constant work in progress [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I find that I *continually* have to edit my posts because I've misused there, their and they're. I know full well the difference, but I will always type "there" without thinking, making me edit the post and changing it. Normally it's not until I've hit "Post Message" until I realise the mistake I've made. And even then there will be one that I miss. I don't tend to make the other mistakes (as often, that is.) Though I do use these a lot: !!!.

I think it is down to the informality and relaxed atmosphere of the forum. I don't type a post like I would an email (unless to friends), an essay or a report. I think it's easy to make these mistakes since you're not thinking about it as much.

And linked to this, which grammar/spelling/punctuation mistakes irritate you most? I'm not particularly bothered about errors (it's only human!), but I annoy myself that I have to always edit there, their and they're.

(Checks post for no mistakes. Look's good to me!) WinkAngelic

I was so viciously ripped a new one for my grammar mistakes in a fiction class, I dropped it. While the teacher and classmates were correct that you do need to know grammar basics, they were wrong in how they stated my issues. You can make a point without being super nasty about it.

Back to the board at hand, yes, I do make many mistakes. I appreciate the patience of the members.

I am very patient, as grammar is an ongoing process.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.