Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Anyone on TORn from Newfoundland?

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Nov 28 2013, 6:05pm

Post #1 of 14 (342 views)
Shortcut
Anyone on TORn from Newfoundland? Can't Post

If so I'd love to chat about your country. I'm writing a fiction set in Newfoundland, and could use info on weather, seasons, terrain, etc. Would appreciate anything you could tell me, hope to hear from you soon!Smile

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2013, 12:22am

Post #2 of 14 (185 views)
Shortcut
Not from there, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've been there. Before I retired from the Air Force 4 years ago, we usually stopped at St Johns, Nfld for fuel before we crossed the Atlantic on the way to the desert. It was almost like going home for me because I actually grew up in New Brunswick, not far west of Newfoundland.

Weather is fairly cold there, somewhat moderated by the ocean all around it. Like most of the North Atlantic, there's lots of rain and fog. Terrain is impressively rocky and rugged along the coast, with lots of pine forestland inland.

Can you share anything about the story you're writing? Time period, genre, characters?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 29 2013, 1:54am

Post #3 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
I visited there one summer a long time ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fourteen. It's lovely in a rugged way. We mostly kept to the rocky coastline. It reminded me a lot of the tundra in the high mountains here in Colorado.

I spent a lot of my time there with my nose in a book, which led to a family saying we still use today: "Put down your book and look at Newfoundland."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 29 2013, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 14 (152 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I spent a lot of my time there with my nose in a book, which led to a family saying we still use today: "Put down your book and look at Newfoundland."

That made me smile. I love how those types of sayings get started. I may use that phrase, if you don't mind, although I think for today's generation I would modify it to, "Put down your [*insert name of electronic device here*] and look at Newfoundland."

Thanks for that, Aunt Dora Smile.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 29 2013, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 14 (145 views)
Shortcut
I'd be honored :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

The time that amused me the most was just a few years ago when my brother and his Turkish girlfriend were out for a visit. We were driving up over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, and Uncle Baggins was studying a park newspaper, and she said to him "Put down your book and look at Newfoundland!" I didn't even know she'd heard the expression.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2013, 10:53pm

Post #6 of 14 (134 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If so I'd love to chat about your country. I'm writing a fiction set in Newfoundland, and could use info on weather, seasons, terrain, etc. Would appreciate anything you could tell me, hope to hear from you soon!Smile

Not to be too picky....but Newfoundland isn't a country, it is a province within a country....hope that helps!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 14 (115 views)
Shortcut
Question about my story [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's about a Viking colony about 1,000 years ago. I noticed one day that if you crossed the Atlantic ocean straight west from Ireland, you'd find Newfoundland. And there were Viking colonies in Ireland from about 800 - 1000 AD. I keep trying to find topographical maps of Newfoundland and have had no luck so far, things like terrain and weather. I realize, since this is total fiction, that I could write pretty much whatever I want, but I still want to keep it within the realm of reality (like the fact that there were no horses in North America then, so travel is by dog sled).

Now, if I can only figure out WHY the Mods keep MOVING MY POSTS!!!Unsure

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 6:10pm

Post #8 of 14 (121 views)
Shortcut
Map distortion [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep in mind that map projections are flat surfaces, representing a sphere. Left and right, on a map, are not the true cardinal directions, West and East, respectively, due to the curvature of the Earth. To determine the land that is truly West of Ireland, you need to follow the same line of latitude across the globe. It is called a Great Circle, and is actually the shortest distance between two point on a sphere.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
Hi Kili. [In reply to] Can't Post

We move a post when we think the topic is more applicable to another discussion board; however we leave a post-pointer on the board it was first posted to so that the originator (you, in this case) can still find it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 10:04pm

Post #10 of 14 (104 views)
Shortcut
They were there, all right! [In reply to] Can't Post

See this article! And for an actual contemporary account, see The Saga of Erik the Red. These sagas were written down in ~1200, but had been in the oral tradition for a good while earlier.

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 10:48pm

Post #11 of 14 (88 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'll have to check the latitudes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that much of the UK and Ireland are on a similar latitude to Newfoundland. The only reason that our climate in the UK is warmer than Newfoundland, is down to the weather systems from the Atlantic. One example of this is how early it gets dark in the winter here- I am in in southern England and it is dark at around 4 pm at the moment. Conversely, in June, in Scotland, it can still be light, although getting dark, at 11pm. So, we are pretty far north!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Dec 1 2013, 4:04am

Post #12 of 14 (88 views)
Shortcut
They were there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the articles - very helpful!!!Cool

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2013, 7:29pm

Post #13 of 14 (71 views)
Shortcut
There are Viking [In reply to] Can't Post

settlements in Newfoundland most definitely. They are part of the tourism trap for Newfoundland. I believe they some of the nationally protected parks in Canada. Here is a link for 'The Viking Trail' in Newfoundland & Labrador...

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...sToGo/TheVikingTrail

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2013, 1:40pm

Post #14 of 14 (73 views)
Shortcut
Never went there... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I did know a really sweet girl from there, and had chats with her about it. She was from a boating community called Botwood, but also lived in the capital St. John's for a while as well. I remember she showed me pictures of this park in Newfoundland (can't remember the name of it), looked like a hikers' heaven. Gorgeous scenery (and girl Wink)

Anyway, IIRC, she mentioned that there is a bit of a secessionist thing going on in Newfoundland. I could see that, as Newfoundlanders seem like pretty unique bunch.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.