Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
December Empire (Smaug) - Worth getting?

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 4:08am

Post #1 of 8 (620 views)
Shortcut
December Empire (Smaug) - Worth getting? Can't Post

The December edition of Empire, with the Desolation of Smaug feature, came out a while ago. I'm in NZ so I won't see it here for another couple months or so. I can order it from Amazon, however.

What I'm wondering is if the Empire article adds anything substantial which is not covered in the Official Movie Guide by Brian Sibley. (I also have the Visual Companion, the Annual/Almanac, and the upcoming Weta book(s)).

In other words, is the Empire DoS magazine worth hunting down?

Thanks!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2013, 10:28am

Post #2 of 8 (200 views)
Shortcut
It depends what you want it for. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you just want a hard copy of it, then try and get it. But if you want to just learn about the spoilers and snippets given in the magazine, then your best bet is just to check out these two threads: here and here.

Those two threads cover all the important information in the magazine.

Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 2:14pm

Post #3 of 8 (132 views)
Shortcut
I think Empire magazine is always worth getting when it comes to the ME films [In reply to] Can't Post

They have a very nice choice of covers, for a start (Thorin for me), and the articles are generally pretty good. However, I don't think it contains anything substantial, especially if you already have those books.

Empire magazine's coverage of DoS is certainly better than Total Film's coverage my copy of that magazine has gone for recycling. Unimpressed

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 4:28pm

Post #4 of 8 (106 views)
Shortcut
Not for the spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually trying to avoid spoilers this time around, so don't intend to read the magazine (or the books) until after I've been DoS.

I'm also not that interested in artwork/photos... The books I have, plus the inevitable extended edition extras will be enough eye candy! :)

So, what I'm after is information that remains interesting (and unique) even after I've seen the movie and read the other books.

I liked the Empire mag for An Unexpected Journey (though it took forever to find it). I don't know about unique info, but it was attractively laid out, and the "holographic" cover is cool. There were tons of pages devoted to AUJ in it, though. I get the impression that the DoS issue isn't as Hobbit-centric. Do you know how many pages are for DoS?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 5:04pm

Post #5 of 8 (102 views)
Shortcut
There are 12 pages altogether about DoS in Empire magazine [In reply to] Can't Post

The covers, though not holographic, are rather nice. The Thorin one has silver lettering and border, and I think the one with the Bilbo cover may have the same elements in gold.

I'm really surprised that the magazine is not released at more or less the same time in NZ as it is in the UK.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 30 2013, 5:05pm)

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 8 (92 views)
Shortcut
NZ is 2 months behind [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in NZ the issue on the shelves now is Thor, which is October.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 8:54pm

Post #7 of 8 (46 views)
Shortcut
I still have not seen the new issue in the WNY area [In reply to] Can't Post

Our nearest Barnes and Noble still has the November issue on the shelf.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kim
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 9:36pm

Post #8 of 8 (48 views)
Shortcut
Same here in WA [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked B&N again today and they still don't have the Dec issues out. Will keep checking...I got a B&N gift card for my birthday, so I'm determined to use it for this!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.