Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Pretty much confirmation that Bolg's design has changed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

emre43
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 8:24am

Post #1 of 49 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much confirmation that Bolg's design has changed Can't Post

This model was released last year by Games Workshhop as Bolg. It has today been changed to Gundabad Orc General: http://www.games-workshop.com/...;prodId=prod1830024a

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 10:12am

Post #2 of 49 (926 views)
Shortcut
would really appreciate [In reply to] Can't Post

if that would be his final design !!!

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Nov 30 2013, 10:25am

Post #3 of 49 (914 views)
Shortcut
Even with all the rumours surrounding his design change... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still held on to hope that he wouldn't change. Alas I suppose it was inevitable with Azog being CGI, they'd make Bolg CGI too. I wonder though if this 'Gundabad Orc General' will actually make much of an appearance in the next two films or whether he is simply a get-out-of-jail for GW with a new design on the way.

However the new releases are fantastic and bode well for the films with some spectacular designs (Palace Guards & Mirkwood Rangers). Can't wait to see all these chararcters in action.

P.S Barrels out of Bond set looks even more stunning now with different angles. That is one scene from the films I will have to recreate Smile

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 10:41am

Post #4 of 49 (833 views)
Shortcut
CGI Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Commentary on AUJ EE Peter Jackson talks at length about changing his mind to have CGI Orcs instead of actors in costume and make-up. I think it's a shame, but he is the director and if he feels that will make for better orcs then so be it.

I wonder what this means for poor Conan Stevens? First dropped as Azog, now possibly dropped as Bolg... I too wonder what is left of this particular 'Orc General', cos I personally loved that design!

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 10:50am

Post #5 of 49 (838 views)
Shortcut
I am absolutely sure it will be a CGI Bolg. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am glad about that. Very glad.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 10:57am

Post #6 of 49 (805 views)
Shortcut
Just to get it right... [In reply to] Can't Post

this posted link seems to be the official "new" design for Movie-Bolg ?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 11:34am

Post #7 of 49 (726 views)
Shortcut
Me, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do more with CGI and i have no problem with the look, the effects are really sophisticated nowadays.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 11:37am

Post #8 of 49 (749 views)
Shortcut
That's the Old Bolg design [In reply to] Can't Post

The linked picture is what used to be referred as Bolg, and what they've been marketing as Bolg for over a year now, but it appears that they have re-designed him during the pick-ups earlier this year. - That would also explain why we haven't seen any of Bolg in the trailers or marketing, because they probably hadn't finished his shots!

We don't know what exactly the 'new' Bolg will look like, but we may have got a sneak preview in the last Vlog shown at the Live Event. In the first 30 seconds I think you see what could be the new Bolg design.

I think the Bolg re-design rumours have been covered in other threads, but this change over at Games Workshop pretty much confirms it.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 11:45am

Post #9 of 49 (706 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The linked picture is what used to be referred as Bolg, and what they've been marketing as Bolg for over a year now, but it appears that they have re-designed him during the pick-ups earlier this year. - That would also explain why we haven't seen any of Bolg in the trailers or marketing, because they probably hadn't finished his shots!

We don't know what exactly the 'new' Bolg will look like, but we may have got a sneak preview in the last Vlog shown at the Live Event. In the first 30 seconds I think you see what could be the new Bolg design.

I think the Bolg re-design rumours have been covered in other threads, but this change over at Games Workshop pretty much confirms it.

that picture from the Games Workshop looks pretty much the same,doesnt it ?! Crazy

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 11:46am

Post #10 of 49 (701 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, it does, though I was already convinced before this.

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Nov 30 2013, 11:52am

Post #11 of 49 (701 views)
Shortcut
It's the same model... [In reply to] Can't Post

That they used to call Bolg. However the movie makers have since redesigned Bolg for the film but we have yet to see this design. PJ and Co. have told Games Workshop to stop marketing the miniature in the link as Bolg as that design is no longer Bolg's.

Games Workshop, not wanting to discontinue a great design have kept it as a Gundabad Orc General, simply renaming the mini. Whether this 'new' character will appear in the next film or not is uncertain.

It is the Bolg design from before the 2/3 film split, therefore still prosthetics Azog and still prosthetics Bolg. Now Azog is CGI, they will be making Bolg CGI as well.

Hope this helps...Smile

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 11:59am

Post #12 of 49 (700 views)
Shortcut
More like Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the new Bolg is going to be very similar to Azog. Hairless and without armour, but with some iron plates attached to his head. It could still look awesome and hopefully he will still be terrifying and be given a big part to play over the next 2 films.

I can't attach a picture of the possible new design cos it's too big, but I'm sure someone else has put some up in another thread.

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 12:04pm

Post #13 of 49 (725 views)
Shortcut
I'm all for practical effects but I thought the orc masks looked pretty bad in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it has to do with the clear digital image but I really did prefer Azog to the practical fx orcs this time. The LOTR ones were tonnes better though - however that orc Thranduil was interrogating in the DOS sneak peak looked fantastic, pretty sure that was practical effects with CGI added to the eyes.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 12:22pm

Post #14 of 49 (681 views)
Shortcut
CGI and SFX [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree that Azog looks incredible as a CGI character, and for the most part the CGI orcs look awesome and it improves their movement, expressions, etc.

I think my cause for concern if purely from a nostalgic perspective, but I also think the artists at Weta Workshop did such a fantastic job on the orcs and uruks for LOTR I was hoping they would recreate that in The Hobbit, and it's kinda sad that they've been replaced by pixels.

Reminds me of this poor guy (warning - cross culture reference!):

But I trust in PJ and Weta Digital so i'm sure the orcs will look awesome anyway. Only 2 weeks to go till we all find out!

(This post was edited by Orc Berserker on Nov 30 2013, 12:32pm)
Attachments: battlestar-galactica-homeless-cylon.jpg (33.8 KB)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 12:28pm

Post #15 of 49 (671 views)
Shortcut
I guess nostalgia has a lot to do with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently watched the LotR trilogy on a big screen TV in the Blu-Ray format... imho the prosthetics, as great as they are, simply show now very much in many cases. I certainly wouldn't call them more natural looking to some of the CGI we got in AUJ. But maybe that is just me.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Skaan
Lorien

Nov 30 2013, 12:42pm

Post #16 of 49 (645 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps this means that this design will still be in the movie, but rather than being Bolg he's just a general of the Gundabad Orcs like his new name implies?

This allows them to use a CGI Bolg AND still have Conan Stevens in the movie.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2013, 2:06pm

Post #17 of 49 (584 views)
Shortcut
I agree, it is a shame... [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt the CG Orcs in AUJ looked terribly fake, and frankly, ridiculous.

For all Jackson's banging on about how he wants to link the two trilogies together, it's pretty strange how apparently that doesn't apply to the visual aesthetic of the Orcs. In my opinion, this is certainly NOT an improvement.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2013, 2:15pm

Post #18 of 49 (582 views)
Shortcut
No, not nostalgia... [In reply to] Can't Post

While a few of the designs may have looked cheesy in LotR, at least they didn't look painted on top of the scene like the ridiculous CG Orcs of AUJ.

Now I understand why some refer to Jackson as "the new George Lucas".

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 2:23pm

Post #19 of 49 (564 views)
Shortcut
I guess we will agree to disagree here ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

PredatoR
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 3:17pm

Post #20 of 49 (515 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was not even Bolg before! This design was designed for Azog. At least appendices show so.

To long story short, I think Bolg is still a big secret for fans.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 49 (485 views)
Shortcut
Conan Stevens as Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it was the original concept for Azog, but then when PJ decided to go in a different direction, it certainly looks like Conan Stevens was cast as Bolg in possibly the same get-up. In the AUJ credits Conan is listed as Bolg (even though he makes no 'real' appreance in the movie - that 1 second clip at the battle of Moria aside...) In interviews Conan refers to himself playing Bolg. He once even posted a link on Facebook to the Games Workshop miniture that started this thread! He seemed quite happy to have a Games Workshop miniture based on him/his character. Now it appears PJ has changed direction again.

As long it's all fantastic in the final result, that's all that matters, and i'm sure Conan was paid for his work, but if he has been completely cut out of the films then that is quite sad.

I guess we won't be able to solve the Bolg mystery until the Appendices of DOS November 2014, where hopefully they will explain all, as they did with Azog in the AUJ Appendices.

hutch
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 5:39pm

Post #22 of 49 (474 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Bolg look so much alike [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically Bolg looks like Azog as a foundation with an overlay of beard and blood. I can see Azog under Bolg. Any changes seem unnecessary. It's like they got it right the first time. Can't imagine why PJ wasn't satisfied with the design.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2013, 5:50pm

Post #23 of 49 (433 views)
Shortcut
Because apparently Jackson thinks... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that CGI Orcs look better.

hutch
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 6:14pm

Post #24 of 49 (396 views)
Shortcut
It makes me wince... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to hear him say he wishes he could go back an redo LOTR CG style. Thankfully he is at least courteous enough to want to keep the old versions available if he does go back and make changes. Sometimes...

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 30 2013, 6:14pm

Post #25 of 49 (388 views)
Shortcut
From a [In reply to] Can't Post

getting what you want done POV.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.