Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The Hunters" track (possible heavy movie spoilers)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 12:16pm

Post #1 of 11 (1087 views)
Shortcut
"The Hunters" track (possible heavy movie spoilers) Can't Post

Hey guys, I just listened to the complete score for a couple of times now and there's one track which makes me wonder. It is called "The Hunters" (track 24/Standard Edition). Even the standard edition of it is already 9:04 long. The special edition will be 9:55. And the thing is... I've no idea whats going on there for most of the part. It features almost every theme of this movie and is a very action packed track. It's not the finale of the movie but almost. Let's have a closer look:

0:00 - 1:00
This could be some Bilbo and Smaug stuff because it features SMAUGS THEME. Although the beginning could even be in Laketown

1:00 - 1:31
Here we've got one of my favorite parts of the whole score. A very heroic version of the EREBOR THEME (could be Thorin appearing to help Bilbo or Bilbo finding the Arkenstone?) followed by a very, very cool, exotic and powerful version of SMAUGS THEME. This might be the moment where the Dragon realises what Bilbo is up to or he smells the Dwarves... but he seems to be very pissed of.

1:31 - 2:25
Cut to Laketown and Bard. We hear BARDS THEME building up to a special moment with heavy strings which sounds almost like a chase scene.

2:25 - 3:00
Here we've got glimpses of the RADAGAST MOTIF (sadly the one from the AUJ movie not the score) and I guess even heard cues of the GANDALF THE GREY THEME. Could this be their escape from Dol Guldur?

3:00 - 3:11
Could be even BILBO material but it's to short for a cut to him and Smaug I guess. No idea.

3:11 - 3:50
Fast strings. This might be the continue of the chase from Dol Guldur. This bit also features the heavy brass instruments which were associated with AZOGS THEME in AUJ. Everything has a Mordorish undertone.

3:50 - 4:45
Cut to Dol Guldur? It features the first notes of the SAURON/EVIL OF THE RING THEME and than it changes into the new WOODLAND ACTION MOTIF.
--> In 4:14 I even noticed a the melody known as LEGOLAS KILLS THE OLIPHANT in ROTK. This could be the Elves aiding the two wizards in Mirkwood. Or the Elves killing Orcs in Laketown. But it's certainly Elves vs. Orcs.

4:45 - 5:03
Short glimpse of the NECROMANCER THEME and again WOODLAND ACTION MOTIF.

5:03 - 6:13
Here we've got a very sad but hopeful Dwarven theme. It's clearly a relative to the famous DWARRODWELF MOTIF from FOTR I guess. I would call it (because I like *Shagrats* idea) THORINS DESTINY. Afterwards we've got the EREBOR THEME.

6:13 - end
This beginning of this bit reminds me very much of KHAZAD-DÛM and Gandalf fighting the Balrog. Perhaps it's Gandalf fighting the Nine or the Necromancer himself? I also like the heavy strings here. The score does also sound very much like Helms Deep doesn't it? Like there's a huge battle going on. And this is why I called this a "possible heavy movie spoiler"... I guess this might be the "Battle under the Trees" where an army of Dol Guldur attacks the Woodland Realm. It also features the AZOG THEME (7:10) and again the WOODLAND ACTION MOTIF (7:40)... again: Elves vs. Orcs. After that we've got high strings playing a melody we also heard during the Battle of Helms Deep in TTT.

There's so much going on even in the standard edition. The special edition will add almost another minute of music to this track so... what do you think? Could this be the "Battle under the Trees" from Tolkiens ROTK? It is certain that the Elves are fighting Orcs near the end of the movie. There's only a small glimpse of the Bard/Laketown music so I don't think that this is the Orcs attacking Laketown. It sounds more like a huge battle than just a small skirmish really...

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 1:05pm

Post #2 of 11 (471 views)
Shortcut
i guess it will be... [In reply to] Can't Post

cuts between three different locations (but i already know how you feel about that):
- dwarves &bilbo in erebor
- gandalf & radagast in dol guldur
- legolas & tauriel in laketown

most of this stuff will take place in laketown - i bet the hunters are the orcs, which followed the dwarves. the hunters could also be legolas and tauriel, who come at aid in the right moment, before the orcs attack lake town

i doubt it'll be the elves attacking dol guldur:
1. we haven't seen pics of this action-sequence yet (but we have lots of pics of legolas and tauriel fighting in lake town)
2. if there would be a attack of elves in dol guldur, we need a character like haldir and not some nameless elves (legolas & tauriel won't be there and thandruil seems like he doesn't care at all)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 1:15pm

Post #3 of 11 (419 views)
Shortcut
And where is Bard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs from Dol Guldur attacking Woodland Realm. We clearly hear in "A Liar and a Thief" (from 1:13 to...) a marchlike version of the Necromancer theme and I believe it's played when the huge Orc army we saw in the trailers leaves Dol Guldur. It's too early for attacking Erebor. Smaug isn't even dead and we need a lot of time for the TABA build up. Only an attack on the Elves would make sense at this point. The Orcs we see in Laketown aren't armored as the ones we see in the trailer.

And why isn't the Bard or the Laketown theme featured during the battle themes? Where is Bard? It's only Elves and Orcs.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 1:31pm

Post #4 of 11 (398 views)
Shortcut
Is the complete score available somewhere? // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 30 2013, 1:39pm

Post #5 of 11 (415 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was up to the Warner page but as far as I'm informed it is down again. But you'll find it elsewhere in the internet. I can't post any links but itY wasO veryU easyT toU findB itE Tongue

elanor_thefair
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 2:01pm

Post #6 of 11 (359 views)
Shortcut
To macfalk [In reply to] Can't Post

You can find on a YouTube channel called "Soulsurfer". Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 2:26pm

Post #7 of 11 (319 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, found them! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 2:27pm

Post #8 of 11 (374 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of DOS tracks [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wonder what "Feast of Starlight" is about. It has such a different feeling compared to the other tracks. Bilbo wandering around in Mirkwood like he did in Rivendell maybe?

DuBekar
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 11 (338 views)
Shortcut
Tauriels Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is Tauriels theme, but i could be wrong also :) either way it is beautiful!

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 3:41pm

Post #10 of 11 (271 views)
Shortcut
I wondered if it could be for the glimpses of the elf fires.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because it seems to break off suddenly - and it is very elvish.

Mind you, I'm useless at second-guessing the music. I just know which pieces I really like, and I think this is beautiful.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 1 2013, 4:24am

Post #11 of 11 (86 views)
Shortcut
Probably not The Battle under the Trees... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they're stretching time-frames and simplifying plots, but it's unlikely this will fit into even a tweaked version of the story...

The [Battle of Mirkwood] takes place at the same time as the Battle of Pelennor Fields in RotK, and really doesn't work unless paired with the easterling attack on Dale and Erebor. Which we obviously can't have before the Bo5A is settled. Unless it is semi-omitted altogether.

It makes more sense that it's just Azog still on the hunt, which leads him and his pals to the Woodland Realm. And looking at the signs, he has completely overtaken the role of Bolg, even in Dol Guldur (Azog even comes with the D.G. Lego set), so "technically" it could count as an attack from Dol Guldur.

I have no expectation of it being ordered specifically by The Necromancer though... He has no reason to show interest in The Company.

But eh, what do I know? They beefed up Dol Guldur to the point that there is actually a battle taking place there, so it would seem pointless to have the place just sit idly by...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.