Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Trolls!

Kim
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 1:22am

Views: 168
Shortcut
Trolls! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the detailed post Daniel!

General questions
1. What is your favourite shot and quote from this scene?
I didnít notice until I watched with subtitles, but I liked it when you can hear one of the trolls say, ďget the sacks, stick em in the sacks!Ē during the fight. And I do like the reaction of Oin, Kili and Thorin when Bilbo says the dwarves have parasites.
2. Conversely, what is your least favourite quote from this scene?
Donít have one.
3. What do you think of the Trollshaw set? Is the lighting dark enough, is it large enough?
Works for me. On the one hand, itís pretty tight once the fight scene starts, but that also makes the visuals effective Ė the dwarves donít have a lot of room to maneuver, but they fight together effectively.
4. Any other thoughts about the scene set-up?
I thought it was well done (and appreciate it even more after seeing the EE extras about everyone pitching in to re-arrange the set quickly when needed).
5. Any comments on the score?
I like the music in this scene; I liked the ebb and flow of subtle in the background, then amping up for the fight.

The Trolls
1. How did you envisage the Trolls when reading the book?
I didnít really have much of a visual in mind, other than ďbigĒ.
2. Do they talk and walk the way you thought they would?
Well, I didnít really have any expectations, but I like their design, characterization and movement. I like the way they spoke, although it wasnít until I watched with the subtitles that I could make out some of their phrases like, ďwrap your laughing gear around that.Ē
3. Do you have a favourite of the three? And why are they your favourite?
Well, if I had to pick one, Iíd go with Bert. Heís the cook, and obviously just not appreciated by the other two. Williamís a big bully, and Tom is rather annoying.
4. How does the CGI of the Trolls compare to other characters in the film?
Excellent! I thought they looked fantastic, on par with Gollum and the Goblin King. Really great look, especially the texture of the skin.

Changes from the book
1. What is your least favourite change from the book?
The changes from the book didnít bother me in this scene.
2. Do you think anything works better in this scene than in the book?
I did like the fight scene since it showed the dwarves in a more positive light than in the book. And the trolls looked really big in comparison since the camera angles were mostly at hobbit/dwarf height.
3. In the film, Bilbo keeps the Trolls arguing, while in the book Gandalf imitates their voices. What do you think of this change? It certainly gives Bilbo a heroic moment, but does it work any better?
I like the change, I thought it worked very well.
4. What do you think of Gandalf's stone cracking manoeuvre? Is it too similar to the Khazad-dŻm scene in The Fellowship of the Ring?
I didnít think of Khazad-dŻm, but it makes sense to have the sun appear suddenly to catch the trolls off guard. I guess Iíd rather see Gandalf having a more direct immediate impact than sneaking around in the bushes throwing his voice.
5. If you had been the director, what one detail from the book would you have made sure to have included?
Nothing jumps out at me, I like what was included.

Ere, 'oo are you?
The whimsical charm of the book was not fully realised in the film, especially by not including the Talking Purse.

1. Yes or no. Did you want the Talking Purse included in the film?

No. Daniel, I think you need to let it go. TongueWink
2. The Talking Purse is a pivotal character in this chapter. Why do you think he was removed from the scene? Too whimsical. Living creatures who can talk Ė OK. An inanimate talking object would just be taking it too far.
3. In what ways could the Talking Purse have helped the scene?
N/A
4. If you squint really hard, the knife kind of looks like a purse. Who should have voiced the Talking Purse?
Seriously, just let it go. Cool

Random questions!
1. What were the Dwarves eating?
Looks like some kind of soup/stew. Perhaps with a sprinkle of sage.
2. What bird(s) makes the noise when Bilbo finds Fili and Kili?
I never noticed the bird noise before! Interesting since birds arenít generally active at night. Sounds kind of exotic.
3. Was the farmer the Trolls had eaten Tom Bombadil, explaining his absence in The Fellowship of the Ring?
Creative theory. I think you may have hit on something there. Wink
4. What does raw dwarf taste like?
Tough and hairy. Apparently, trolls like it though.

Any other thoughts?

Iím probably the only adult who will say this, but I laughed hysterically when Tom sneezed on Bilbo. I think I disturbed a few people in the theater, but I thought it was really funny that Tom thought heíd actually sneezed Bilbo. (ďItís got arms and legs and everything!Ē) Laugh

Oakenshield watch: not in this scene. Presumably next to Thorinís blanket as he was probably getting ready to sleep when the fight broke out.

Thorinís hair: good action shots, nice little movements in the slight breeze at the end. Still looks good when tied up in a sack, displaying its versatility.

Also, it took me a while to figure out what was different about Thorin Ė he wasnít wearing his belt (I assume to be able to fight better). And did you catch that smile at the end of the scene? Let me remind you just in case.

Thanks to you and cats16 for setting up the Chapter of the Week! I look forward to continuing in the new year.

Smile

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: Roast Mutton. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 29 2013, 8:28pm
    ere you go book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Nov 29 2013, 8:53pm
        Not any ol' bird! Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Nov 29 2013, 11:03pm
    Trolls! Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 30 2013, 1:22am
        Never! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 30 2013, 10:35am
        Thank you for including the pic Kim. // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 7:18pm
        *glancing at the picture at the bottom* Great minds think alike, Kim! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Dec 1 2013, 8:07pm
            High five right back atcha! :-) // Kim Send a private message to Kim Dec 1 2013, 11:05pm
    Great post Daniel! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 6:21pm
        *High fives* DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 30 2013, 8:31pm
        With a side serving of Nutella? elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 30 2013, 10:15pm
            Indeed. With this *Large* size container we should do quite well. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 10:25pm
                Hey! Kim Send a private message to Kim Dec 1 2013, 4:49am
    *glancing down the page and then rolling eyes at the fourth caption* I knew that was going to come in at some point, Daniel! :P FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Dec 1 2013, 8:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.