Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Easterlings, Easterlings, I want to see Easterlings!

boldog
Rohan

Nov 29 2013, 8:28pm

Post #1 of 14 (787 views)
Shortcut
Easterlings, Easterlings, I want to see Easterlings! Can't Post

One thing about the LOTR that I was very disappointed with, was the fact that we didn't get to see these really amazing armoured servants of sauron in combat! I was so upset when we didn't see them. This has been mentioned a few times, but could they perhaps have them present in the BO5A? Perhaps they can combine the battle of Dale in with this battle aswell? Jackson did mention that the battle could consist of more than 5 armies, plus, considering the league these men are with Sauron, there could be a chance of seeing them. Either that, or, in an epilogue scene, showing a montage of events that will take place in years to come. Possibly things like the battle of dale, death of dain and Brand, the cleansing of mirkwood. (unless that happens in the time period of the hobbit)
What do you all think though? Id really like to see these guys in combat, even if it does heavily go against canon.

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Carnivoran
The Shire

Nov 29 2013, 8:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (426 views)
Shortcut
I don't doubt that there may be more than Five Armies [In reply to] Can't Post

Having said that, I am not sure the Easterlings would be my first guess as to the additions. Perhaps it could work if he wants to include some of the events that happened during LotR as having happened in the Hobbit instead, e.g. the battles up North.

I would think Elves from Rivendell and Lorien would be more likely to come to the party.

I could also see Beorn leading a group of Beornings into the fray, instead of just appearing alone.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 29 2013, 8:49pm

Post #3 of 14 (409 views)
Shortcut
Why not have ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Easterlings, Southrons, Gondorians and some Rohirrim in Lake-town background shots (or even in Bree during the Thorin-Gandalf flashback!). It is a trade hub after all, so it would make sense to see other races of Middle-earth there. That would make more sense that adding more armies in to the Battle of Five Armies.

There will be five armies, no more no less. They're just likely to change the armies into:

Men
Elves
Dwarves
Orcs of Dol Guldur and Gundabad & Wargs
Eagles

It makes no sense for Eaterlings or Southrons to be there or partake. They were rather wasted in The Return of the King so I'll doubt we'll see them again in any large capacity.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 29 2013, 8:50pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 29 2013, 8:52pm

Post #4 of 14 (466 views)
Shortcut
Actually they were present during the Battle of Minas Tirtih but very hidden [In reply to] Can't Post

But I never noticed them until I stopped the movie at certain moments. Here are a few screenshots from TORn:

Easterlings attacking Minas Tirith 01

Easterlings attacking Minas Tirith 02

Easterlings attacking Minas Tirith 03

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

m.summers343
Bree

Nov 29 2013, 8:56pm

Post #5 of 14 (395 views)
Shortcut
Easterlings... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow, very nice! I had no idea there were any Easterlings present at the Battle of Minas Tirith in the film.

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 29 2013, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 14 (354 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea they were there.

Amazing how there is still always something new to discover in the films.

Thanks for posting those shots!

cats16
Valinor

Nov 29 2013, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 14 (336 views)
Shortcut
Hadn't noticed this before! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for posting those screenshots. Smile

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2013, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 14 (344 views)
Shortcut
I'd like them to show up as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

As one might gather from my avy...but am not expecting it. I was kind-of hoping PJ would include some elements from the northern theater of the war of the ring in BOFA after the trilogy expansion (possibly with the Necromancer and/or his emissaries gathering allies from across the sea of Rhun), but it doesn't seem probable.

Regarding RotK - from what I can ascertain, the Easterlings were originally supposed to be a significant part of Pelennor Fields/the siege of Gondor, and were going to be Mordor's "elite shock troops" or something like that, being the first ones in through the gate after Grond battered it down; however, in the final version they've been pasted over by the CGI Olog-hai, relegating the Easterlings to a few background shots.

I actually understand why PJ did it (unlike the Haradrim and Corsairs, the Easterlings didn't have a niche or "gimmick" which make them different from the orcs - they were just additional ground troops in different armor - while it was much more powerful/visceral to have trolls swarm into Minas Tirith.

BTW, it seems the Easterlings were removed fairly late in the game, for two reasons: The "Weapons and Warfare" book and RotK video game include them amongst Sauron's army at Pelennor; and in Gandy's monolouge listing Mordor's forces, he mentions the Southrons and Corsairs, then says "all will answer Mordor's call". The correct grammar with two factions would be "both", not "all", but had he originally mentioned three factions (IE, the Easterlings), then "all" would be appropriate.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 29 2013, 10:17pm

Post #9 of 14 (294 views)
Shortcut
Wow, never saw them either. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Nov 29 2013, 11:54pm

Post #10 of 14 (230 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed the Easterlings there! [In reply to] Can't Post

You really have to look closely for those helmets and shields! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I plan to rewatch ROTK this weekend - I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2013, 12:15am

Post #11 of 14 (222 views)
Shortcut
I always kind of thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the Easterlings we saw marching through the Black Gate in TTT were used mostly for the northern invasions of Dale and Erebor, which were only alluded to in the films.

Anyway, I wonder why Jackson didn't have Gandalf mention the Easterlings alongside the Corsairs and Haradrim in the RotK film.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2013, 12:17am

Post #12 of 14 (212 views)
Shortcut
That's too bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I liked the Olog-hai, I would have liked the Easterlings to get a mention.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Nov 30 2013, 1:21am

Post #13 of 14 (181 views)
Shortcut
Ive always thought.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson cuts wwaaayyy too fast. The only way too take everything in is to take a screen shot. This is especially true in AUJ.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 9:02pm

Post #14 of 14 (52 views)
Shortcut
There should be no Men at the BoFA other than Lake-men [In reply to] Can't Post

When Jackson mentioned more than five armies, I think he was at least half kidding (unless he meant that the goblins might receive reinforcements from Dol Guldur).

The Easterlings, as a group, seem to have been hostile towards the peoples of western Middle-earth during this period; though I can imagine the odd Easterling trader showing up at Lake-town from time-to-time. They are probably nore likely to be seen there than Haradrim or other Southron folk (although wares from the Far South might find their way that far north).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.