Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
ere you go

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 29 2013, 8:53pm

Views: 225
Shortcut
ere you go [In reply to] Can't Post

1. How did you envisage the Trolls when reading the book?

its along time ago when i had an unhindered by the film vision of what i thought a tolkien troll looked like, but it was very different. I think they were more billy goats gruff like, wider rounder, more human in a way, less capable than the film version, less funnily stupid, slower and more monstery! if that makes any sense.

2. Do they talk and walk the way you thought they
would?

the walking was fine, but i didnt ever envision their voices like they were.i wanted more other worldly. but then if i re read the book, the pj version makes alot of sense.

3. Do you have a favourite of the three? And why are they your favourite?

no, though i liked the one with the deeper voice to be more my vision.

4. How does the CGI of the Trolls compare to other characters in the film?

for me the troll scene is one of the most iconic and important in the hobbit that with gollum,great goblin,spiders barrels and smaug. botht the great goblin and trolls were quite disappointing for me compared to the brilliance of the gollums cgi.

Changes from the book

1. What is your least favourite change from the book?

the whole attack from the dwarves, a typical hollywood moment that wasnt needed. it really ruined the whole set piece for me

2. Do you think anything works better in this scene than in the book?

if i remember rightly the book version would have been slow and possibly boring if played out the same way. so i think a little a change was needed.

3. In the film, Bilbo keeps the Trolls arguing, while in the book Gandalf imitates their voices. What do you think of this change? It certainly gives Bilbo a heroic moment, but does it work any better?

id prefer if bilbo had imitated their voices, and played that role.

4. What do you think of Gandalf's stone cracking manoeuvre? Is it too similar to the Khazad-dm scene in The Fellowship of the Ring?

it is definitely a nod to that, i didnt mind.

5. If you had been the director, what one detail from the book would you have made sure to have included?

not the purse! i would have tried to have the dwarves getting captured one by one.

ive omitted purse questions as i find the subject rather annoying.

Random questions!

1. What were the Dwarves eating?

a stew/soup no?

2. What bird(s) makes the noise when Bilbo finds Fili and Kili?

was there a bird?

3. Was the farmer the Trolls had eaten Tom Bombadil, explaining his absence in The Fellowship of the Ring?

no
4. What does raw dwarf taste like?

..really?

Any other thoughts?

yes.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: Roast Mutton. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 29 2013, 8:28pm
    ere you go book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Nov 29 2013, 8:53pm
        Not any ol' bird! Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Nov 29 2013, 11:03pm
    Trolls! Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 30 2013, 1:22am
        Never! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 30 2013, 10:35am
        Thank you for including the pic Kim. // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 7:18pm
        *glancing at the picture at the bottom* Great minds think alike, Kim! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Dec 1 2013, 8:07pm
            High five right back atcha! :-) // Kim Send a private message to Kim Dec 1 2013, 11:05pm
    Great post Daniel! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 6:21pm
        *High fives* DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 30 2013, 8:31pm
        With a side serving of Nutella? elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 30 2013, 10:15pm
            Indeed. With this *Large* size container we should do quite well. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 30 2013, 10:25pm
                Hey! Kim Send a private message to Kim Dec 1 2013, 4:49am
    *glancing down the page and then rolling eyes at the fourth caption* I knew that was going to come in at some point, Daniel! :P FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Dec 1 2013, 8:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.