Comet ISON will move through perihelion today

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 28 2013, 3:13pm

Post #1 of 6 (826 views)
Shortcut
Comet ISON will move through perihelion today Can't Post

from io9:
The so-called "Comet of the Century" is about to have its much anticipated brush with the Sun — the results of which could be visible to the naked eye. Thankfully, NASA is tracking ISON's journey in realtime, and here's how you can watch the drama unfold.

Scientists say Comet ISON is already starting to buckle under the pressure and it may not survive. The Sun's gravitational pressure and heat could cause the object to disintegrate before it has a chance to light up our skies.

NASA is tracking the comet's journey with the SDO (Solar Dynamics Observatory) spacecraft which will off-point at three different positions as Comet ISON moves through perihelion. The comet, which is traveling at more than a million kilometers an hour, is scheduled to reach its critical phase around the Sun between 12:45 pm and 1:00 pm ET (9:45 am and 10:00 am PT).

The NASA page for watching is here: http://cometison.gsfc.nasa.gov/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 28 2013, 3:41pm

Post #2 of 6 (777 views)
Shortcut
I tried to see it earlier this month, but no luck. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did get some great views of Mercury, which I don't see often. Hoping for better luck in early December.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 28 2013, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 6 (778 views)
Shortcut
I guess I wasn't following closely enough to know it was visible [In reply to] Can't Post

but being that it was an early morning viewing and it's difficult in the city to see things like this, I doubt I would have tried had I known.

I remember seeing, I think it was Hale Bopp, quite a lot just while out doing regular activities. I think I saw Halley's, too.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 28 2013, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 6 (782 views)
Shortcut
Hale Bopp was amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best time we had seeing it was going up on the tundra at 12000 feet, but it was visible right in town too, as you say. My mom called it "Ha-lay Bopp" because my sister-in-law's name is Hale, pronounced Ha-lay :-)

Other great comets I've seen were West, and Hyakutake, but the very best one was Ikeya-Seki in the winter of 1965-66. We went up in the foothills and saw the tail stretching over halfway across the sky.

I waited twenty years to see Halley's Comet, and I have to say it was a disappointment. But comets are unpredictable. I was expecting Ison to be visible in the evening in December, but apparently it's still going to be in the morning. It must be going around the sun in an orbit almost perpendicular to ours.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 29 2013, 11:57am

Post #5 of 6 (758 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it. [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog & I walk around 4-5 am most days and I saw something low in the east that I wasn't used to seeing. Came home & looked it up to find out it was the comet. Very cool!

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Nov 29 2013, 1:02pm

Post #6 of 6 (774 views)
Shortcut
I have been out nearly every morining [In reply to] Can't Post

for the past week or two and have caught it a few times in a decent sized pair of binoculars. ( light pollution from the sun and a nearby city make them a requirement for seeing ISON) Sadly the sky has been overcast for the majority of the time so I will just have to wait for better conditions.

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.