Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Booklet for AUJ SEE Project
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 27 2013, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 26 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Booklet for AUJ SEE Project Can't Post

Everybody (I hope) remembers the excellent booklets included in the LOTR SEE DVDs. Printed on quality paper, they were just the cherry on top of the superb packaging design.
And even though Warner was more or less trying to copy the LOTR SEE packaging (more in case of the UK DVD, less in case of every other country), the booklet was the first thing to be omitted. A pity, as it offers a great overview over the bonus features as well as over the chapter list.

So I decided to make it right and provide a replacement booklet for everybody to print at home, in a copy shop or a printing facility of your choice.

I will be making both a DVD and a BluRay dimensioned booklet. The downloadable version will be online as soon as it's finished. So far, however, here is what is done.
For illustrations, I used some of the John Howe / Alan Lee sketches from The Hobbit Chronicles Artbook.

Front/Back page

For the front page, I decided to use the Hobbit logo as opposed to LOTR logos which focused on the single titles ("The Fellowship of the Ring" etc.). The reason is that the LOTR titles are real book titles; the Hobbit titles are not. They are just artificial inventions of the script writers.
At the back, all LOTR booklets feature a high structure: the Throne of Othanc at FOTR, part of Meduseld at TTT, a tower in Minas Tirith in ROTK. For AUJ, I chose the Carrock.
The US booklets contain additional text for DVD-ROM materials at the back; the European ones (I have German) are just blank. Frankly, I like it more that way.

Introduction (Pages 1+2)

That was a tricky one, as the Hobbit does not feature that much textual content. I used text material from the AUJ SEE DVD, the WB press release as well as the existing LOTR booklets.

Chapter List (Pages 3+4)

As The Hobbit: AUJ features rather few chapters (35 as opposed to 48 in FOTR, 68 in TTT and 78 in ROTK), it was rather a work of typing off the DVD screens.

As for the appendices lists (which will be on pages 4+5 and 6+7). All of them are designed differently for the LOTR discs. I am yet not quite sure which design to go for: either a Dwarvish design, or a floral Hobbity design, or neither. I'd rather hold off the Dwarvish design for the future parts.

Any questions, ideas, contributions, thoughts?

To be continued...

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 8:11pm

Post #2 of 26 (547 views)
Shortcut
That. Is. Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent work!!! This is absolutely beautiful!

"'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 8:47pm

Post #3 of 26 (521 views)
Shortcut
HUTT you are Tremendous Asset to TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

As Well you don't Ever post negative
Writings....Something Bomby
Trys to emulate.Sly

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2013, 9:36pm

Post #4 of 26 (507 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely fantastic!! Thank you so much! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 26 (466 views)
Shortcut
Neat work! [In reply to] Can't Post

WB hire that guy and get your act together next year!!

All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 9:46pm

Post #6 of 26 (457 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Hutt! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really neat! I'll be excited to print this up at some point.

Problem is...where do I put it. There's no sleeve in the packaging. Tongue Haha... I'll figure something out. Thanks again TheHutt.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 9:51pm

Post #7 of 26 (462 views)
Shortcut
Wow, you actually did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about this exact project last week, as I was leafing through my LotR booklet!

It's great that you've been able to follow through with it!

Looks fantastic so far! :)

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 9:57pm

Post #8 of 26 (447 views)
Shortcut
I must congratulate you on your success! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is wonderful! Excellent job!

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 26 (446 views)
Shortcut
It's true [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hutt always has something useful to contribute Smile great work btw! But also, Bomby your posts always cheer me up and they give me a good laugh, don't ever stop posting! Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Osskil
Bree

Nov 27 2013, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 26 (434 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was waiting in faint hope that someone might do this. Now if only for boxes that match the original set of trilogy boxes!

I look forward to seeing how your work progresses. So far, it looks wonderful.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 10:33pm

Post #11 of 26 (416 views)
Shortcut
That is very impressive! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 27 2013, 10:50pm

Post #12 of 26 (438 views)
Shortcut
I made a mistake here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because actually, as this is a 8 page booklet, the pages 1, 8, 2-3, 4-5 are already taken.
So there is only the double page 6-7 which remains for the Appendices mindmaps. However, they are less complex than the LOTR ones, and do not need that much branching.

However, the DVD version will require a different structure for Appendices 7, as the contents is split between 2 DVDs.

Due to the fact that both Appendices will appear on two opposite pages, I decided against ornamental frames (like used on TTT and ROTK) and would venture a version without (like on FOTR).
Let's see what can be done tomorrow.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 11:04pm

Post #13 of 26 (395 views)
Shortcut
That's beautifully done // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 11:08pm

Post #14 of 26 (399 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful, TheHutt [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to printing it out. I think I could just about squeeze it into the DVD case, though of course there won't be a pocket for it. Smile

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 5:59am

Post #15 of 26 (356 views)
Shortcut
I am flubbaburburgasted! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely thing to do, Mr. Hutt. It is very well done and very much appreciated. I hope you had as much fun doing it as we will enjoy having it!
With many thanks from Down Under,
Liss

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 28 2013, 8:26am

Post #16 of 26 (357 views)
Shortcut
One day later... [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, I decided against using ornamental borders, as both appendices will be going on one two-page sheet. The ornament for the headings is taken from the AUJ Appendices intro, cudos Daniel Reeve.

Endor Dweller
Bree

Nov 28 2013, 9:14am

Post #17 of 26 (340 views)
Shortcut
I am really impressed. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is amazing! , TheHuttHeart

- Good morning.
- What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning...or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?

- Good evening.
- Yes, yes it is. Though I think it might rain later.

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 28 2013, 10:58am

Post #18 of 26 (348 views)
Shortcut
After two hours' work [In reply to] Can't Post

Two hours' work later.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 28 2013, 11:13am

Post #19 of 26 (330 views)
Shortcut
Do you do this kind of thing professionally? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because if you don't, you should! It's a lovely piece of work

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 28 2013, 1:07pm

Post #20 of 26 (330 views)
Shortcut
Two more hours later... [In reply to] Can't Post

The left page is basically done.

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 1:14pm

Post #21 of 26 (303 views)
Shortcut
Whoa that's really nice !! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 28 2013, 2:09pm

Post #22 of 26 (292 views)
Shortcut
Incredible work - what a gift, and thank you for sharing it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Yva
Rivendell

Nov 28 2013, 2:53pm

Post #23 of 26 (277 views)
Shortcut
Amazing, thanks so much for sharing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 29 2013, 1:07pm

Post #24 of 26 (263 views)
Shortcut
A day later... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... what should I say. The quick and dirty appendices tree is finished. I'll clean everything a bit up and will make a hi-res version for downloading and printing next week. :)

Timdalf
Rivendell

Dec 2 2013, 12:35pm

Post #25 of 26 (152 views)
Shortcut
Prekrasno! Stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for doing this! Much appreciated. I have the Blu-ray and was not happy that we got neither a booklet like this or even a nice liner in the ordinary black case (unlike the dvd set which has at least that)! If you could do a bookelt up for us Blu-ray-ers that would be the icing on the cake! Bolshoe spacibo!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.