Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will the Battle of the Five Armies take place in the snow?

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 27 2013, 7:38pm

Post #1 of 14 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Will the Battle of the Five Armies take place in the snow? Can't Post

Since we've seen that Dale and Laketown seem to be wintry environments, I think it would make sense for the final battle to take place in a similar setting. This would also help to visually distinguish the climax from the Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields battles and create some unique imagery for Middle-earth.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 7:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (670 views)
Shortcut
I'm all for this [In reply to] Can't Post

fighting in the cold sucks, but would be very evocative visually.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

nhui06
Rivendell

Nov 27 2013, 7:52pm

Post #3 of 14 (712 views)
Shortcut
Not only in the snow [In reply to] Can't Post

But it looks like the Battle will take place in Dale as well (based on some of the behind the scene pics and footage). Kind of makes sense since Dale is outside of Erebor where the siege takes place, and the Dwarves do go into the Mountain around Winter time. Maybe the orcs will siege up Dale, while the Elves siege up Dol Guldur?

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 14 (602 views)
Shortcut
I think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the battle will be in the snow and take place in front of Erebor , in the ruins of Dale, Ravenhill and the fields in between.

PJ said that part of the reason to add and expand characters and backstories was to have more perspectives to follow during the conflicts that unfold after Smaug's death.

So I am pretty sure our characters will be at several parts of the battlefield.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2013, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 14 (486 views)
Shortcut
Snow yes..maybe some Ground Fog too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both in 3D !!!
Snow says 2things to Bomby

1. WHITE blanketin'
the earth cleans
the grime of life
Away..

2. The good triumphs
over the darkness
in the world..

Bomby
a lifetime skier.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 27 2013, 9:37pm

Post #6 of 14 (443 views)
Shortcut
Me like this idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also like to see the Shire covered in snow...

deskp
Lorien

Nov 27 2013, 10:13pm

Post #7 of 14 (385 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

yes there will be snow, but not a whole lot, we have seen the amount in the vlogs several times.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (444 views)
Shortcut
A handful of months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

we were all talking about (either in the forum or Barliman's chat) about how incredible it would be to see either the destruction of Laketown/Smaug's defeat and/or BO5A take place in the snow! It would be so visually stunning. I would love to see Smaug's silhouette in the snow if he is around that long to see that. Can you imagine also seeing the silhouettes of the 5 armies marching in? Shiver me timbers.

hutch
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 11:45pm

Post #9 of 14 (318 views)
Shortcut
Good call. [In reply to] Can't Post

Helm's Deep was night rain. Battle of Moria was sunrise(?) Pellenor fields broad daylight. At the Black Gate was twilight. Snow would be a good choice! great suggestion.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

(This post was edited by hutch on Nov 27 2013, 11:47pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 12:30am

Post #10 of 14 (359 views)
Shortcut
I think this is confirmed fact at this point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember vlog 11? We see suggestions of fighting in snow several times both here: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...11-mp4_000119494.jpg
here: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...11-mp4_000119160.jpg
and here: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...untitled-12-copy.jpg

Btw: I just noticed in that first pic with Gandalf that there is blood dripping down the wall next to plaid shirt guy. Looks like things are going to get intense!

Hey, I just noticed I'm in Lothlorien!Smile I'm going to go say hello to Galadriel!

Yva
Rivendell

Nov 28 2013, 2:46pm

Post #11 of 14 (166 views)
Shortcut
I'm all for snow [In reply to] Can't Post

Snowy landscapes would be fantastic for the battle scenes.
Although it needs to be used carefully I guess because you can't hide blood in it.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 28 2013, 3:10pm

Post #12 of 14 (168 views)
Shortcut
Elves Siege on Dol Guldur?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope that they retain Gandalf appearing at the Bo5A though. Will there actually be an Elven Siege taking place at the same time?! I would have sort of hoped that the White Council Siege would have ended before then.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 28 2013, 3:30pm

Post #13 of 14 (146 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you can spot Gandalf in one of the pictures posted above... so he should be there.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

kjeevah
Bree

Nov 29 2013, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 14 (64 views)
Shortcut
Proof [In reply to] Can't Post

Shows it a bit more clearly than the static images, here is an animated gif of Thranduil fighting in the snow:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/...bootslvr-d6bp619.gif

(This post was edited by kjeevah on Nov 29 2013, 3:50pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.